Health Discovery Network
momof2gr8kids

Simply filling - packable lunches

Hi all...

I'm a lifetime member working on losing about 20 lbs to get back to goal. I am in the 145 range right now, so my daily points were at 19. I got tired of being so focused on counting constantly, and it seemed like I was using my points on the wrong things too frequently, so I have switched to simply filling. I feel I need the structure of a more limited list of nutritious 'clean' foods, to keep me on track....and if I eat 'junk' it can come from my wpa or ap, if at all...that will help keep me more in line with my goal of eating clean 80-85% of the time, which is really what I need to be doing anyway. (Gotta leave some room for celebrations, etc...or I know I will binge and undo all good I've done!)

Soooo.....

My question is this...I am good with dinner and breakfast. I have several recipes or standards for those. But I work outside the home, have 2 young kiddos, and am on the run quite a bit. I am looking for suggestions to replace my normal sandwich at lunch that will be Simply Filling friendly and also not take a lot of time to prepare, and be easy to pack or throw together in the morning on my way out the door. What do you all bring to work for lunches? Snacks during your workday? Thanks so much....I really want to make this work and I believe SF is the way to do it...just need to do some planning and thinking here.

Kathy

156/146/125

SW 156

CW 146

GW 125

I did it! I ran the ING Miami 1/2 Marathon - Jan 25, 2009!

To Support the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America - and My 4 year old Daughter and Hero!

See my Team Challenge Page here

http://www.active.com/donate/MI09national/08KBender

Do you have access to a microwave and/or refrigerator at work?

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Hi,

I have a similar problem with the meal in the middle of the day when I'm not at home. It is too easy to eat out when I don't plan ahead.

Here are some things I pack:

- gorp: I mix up peanuts, cashews (very few) and craisins, then distribute them into serving size containers. These are easy to grab and are filling.

- Kelloggs protein bars: Pick your bar of choice, these are filling and give me some protein.

- Fruit, prepared in serving containers. I was enjoying blueberries with a packet of Splenda before that season was over.

I'll be interested to hear what other people do for this meal. It is my most challenging, for sure!

Woodland

SW: 197 / CW: 141 / GW 135

:bcb_march One Day at a Time !!

I do have access to both a microwave and a fridge and a freezer (lucky me!)

I am also VERY conveniently located to restaurants and fast food, and it is VERY easy for me to make that decision to go out rather than eat in, especially when I need to get away from the office. I definitely want to change that pattern/behavior! Having SF food choices with me is step 1.

SW 156

CW 146

GW 125

I did it! I ran the ING Miami 1/2 Marathon - Jan 25, 2009!

To Support the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America - and My 4 year old Daughter and Hero!

See my Team Challenge Page here

http://www.active.com/donate/MI09national/08KBender

Welcome!! :welcome:

I had that problem when I switched to SF too. I still have a sandwich now and then, just make sure the "filling" is SF (FF egg salad, FF tuna, leftover meat- chicken, roast beef, steak (not lunch meat), hummus and veggies, etc). That way I only count a point or two for the bread, pita, whatever. I also make lettuce wraps if I don't want to have bread. Leftovers from dinner are always the easiest. When you make chili, for example, either take out a bit for lunch the next day or freeze some for another time. Grain salads are good too. That's what I like in the warm weather :bcb_up. It takes a little bit of thinking, but once you start, the possibilies are endless!! I like taking single serve applesauce or jello for "dessert" when I'm not in the mood for fruit. Check out the SF recipe thread for lots of ideas for salads, one dish meals, and other things that will make a good, filling lunch! :bcb_bigsm

By the way, I work in an assisted living where we get a FREE lunch-(restaurant style menu) whatever we want!! I would be very tempted so I make sure I bring my lunch so I never have to go in the kitchen!

*Linda*

SW- 168

CW- 140

GW- 130

Hi everyone,

I am rarely home at lunchtime and I rarely eat lunch out. That means I pack lunches all the time. M-F, I pack for myself. Sat and Sun I pack for DBF and me. In the summer weekends, we are eating lunch on land just before we go out sailing and there's no refrigerator or microwave. The rest of the year we are out hiking or whatever, and I usually (though not always) pack a lunch. Sometimes we come home for lunch.

At work, I have access to a refrig, freezer, toaster oven and microwave. I rarely use the freezer. I can keep plates, bowls and silverware there (unlike sailing and hiking when I have to bring them with us if we are going to need them).

Generally, when I cook dinner, I have in the back of my mind what I can morph this dinner meal (or some of these dinner ingredients) into for a delicious lunch. Often it is a straight repeat of the dinner. Not always.

Off the top of my head, here's some of the things I make:

Sailing/hiking/more portable lunches that don't need heating, etc: taboulleh in ww pita, chicken pieces with barbecue sauce as a "dip," tossed salad (bring a bowl) with protein toppings like beans or chicken or something else leftover from dinner, a brown rice salad (some dinner items are okay at room temp the next day, and I've used these quite a bit, just depends on the sauce and if it gets too "glumpy" when cool), and the everpresent sandwich with a core filling. I also have been known to take a core sandwich filling (like egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad) and scoop it up with celery dippers just to keep away from the bread. There is a sesame noodle thing on this board somewhere that is good and made with ww spaghetti that I have had for lunch at room temp and it was good. I pack things like that in baggies and dump them on a paper plate (or regular, if I have it) to serve.

Leftovers or lunches using pre-cooked stuff that need to be reheated: First of all, just about any supper can be made into lunch. I don't mind having the same thing 2 days in a row, once at dinner and then lunch the next day. So, spaghetti with marinara (or meat sauce), or mashed potatoes, veggie (green beans or whatever), and grilled or sauteed chicken breast are 2 meal examples that you can have for lunch. Like linguine with clam sauce? Have it for supper (ww linguine, of course), then when you put the leftovers away, put a portion of linguine in one baggie and a 1/2 cup of clam sauce in another (or use re-usable containers to be more environmentally friendly). Then, by the time your kitchen is cleaned up, you have lunch packed for the next day, too. (I always add something on the side like a tossed salad or fruit. If I don't have time, I just grab a chunk of lettuce, cut off a piece of cuke, celery and throw in a tomato and chop it up when I'm at work while the other food is heating. Only takes a second). So whatever you have for dinner can be lunch. Meatloaf, mashed potato and corn. Beef w/broccoli over ww rice. Chili over a baked potato half (or sweet potato - ever tried that??) Another thing that travels well and heats up again nicely is bulgur "fried rice." Soups and salads of all types.

Whenever I cook meat (not fish, I don't like to cook that in the microwave at the office) I cook extra for the next lunch, even if I'm not taking the whole dinner meal as leftovers. I take the meat and mix it with veggies (from that meal or another one) and brown rice or pasta. Or I take the meat and heat it and slice it atop a tossed salad.

I hope this helps. My lunches are the envy of the office and they really are incredibly easy. There's no extra work, really, just planning ahead and packing for lunch while you clean up dinner, rather than trying to do that in the morning when there's not a minute to spare.

Be well.

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

I know what you mean about wanting to get out of the office and take a break. What I sometimes do is pack my gorp and fruit, plus a canteen of pre-mixed drink (I like propel lemonade), take this in my lunch bag to a sandwich shop, and get a very basic low fat sandwich. That way I can sit in there, enjoy what I brought and get some time alone for awhile.

SW: 197 / CW: 141 / GW 135

:bcb_march One Day at a Time !!

I do not work outside the home but I do have days where I will be away from home at lunch or I am leaving early in the morning and not getting home until late afternoon. Since you have access to a microwave dinner leftovers are good. What I do since I usually do not have access to a microwave away from home is I either take leftovers that I do not mind having cold or I make a grain salad the night before and put my vinaigrette in a tupperware midget and take to put on the grain salad at lunch. For the salad I mix quinoa or brown rice with various vegettables and fruit(grapes or blueberries or apples etc.). I just remembered you said you have 2 small children so this may more work than you want to do.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%