1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained

1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce

1/4 cup water

1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning

1 tsp. chili powder

1 1/3 cups uncooked instant brown rice

1 cup shredded reduced-fat mexican cheese blend

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large skillet brown beef, onions and green peppers; drain. Return to skillet, stir in remaining ingredients except for cheese and mix thoroughly.

3. Transfer to a 13x9 inch casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes.

4. Sprinkle cheese over top of casserole and bake until cheese is completely melted.

Per each serving: 304 calories, 9 gm fat, 31 mg cholesterol, 670 mg sodium, 49 gm carbohydrate, 7 gm fiber, 22 gm protein

Leesa

HW: 259.6

CW: 161.6

Mini GW: 199.0 met 1/25/08

Next GW: 175 met 5/26/08

Next GW: 150

Inch by inch, it's a cinch!

If you post it, I'll try it! Thanks! Might try it with fat-free refried beans instead of kidney beans....

"I am pieces of all the places I have been,
and the people I have loved......"

– Brooke Hampton

Prepared this last night. Good, but quite dry. I think it might be the altitude here, so next time I'm going to try it with 2 cans of diced tomatoes instead of one and increase the taco seasoning just a tad. Otherwise, a worthy recipe.

"I am pieces of all the places I have been,
and the people I have loved......"

– Brooke Hampton

Thanks for the tip on this recipe as I hadn't tried it yet! I did buy the ingredients to make it sometime this week and I think I will use two cans of tomatoes also to add more liquid!

Leesa

HW: 259.6

CW: 161.6

Mini GW: 199.0 met 1/25/08

Next GW: 175 met 5/26/08

Next GW: 150

Inch by inch, it's a cinch!

Guest jill-leigh

I made this one last night. I used ground turkey instead of beef, though. I personally wasn't a fan of it, but my parents absolutely loved it and gobbled it up. It sort of tasted like a taco chili or.... chili taco, or something :bcb_grin Mine was really dry, too. I might add some more tomato sauce if I ever make it again. I'm really not a fan of chili-type meals, so that explains it. My parents also put taco sauce on it and loved it.

With that sad, I think it would be AWESOME in a wrap with some taco sauce, sour cream, lettuce, etc.