Health Discovery Network
snort sister

core gluten free stuffing

While I was on core I figured out that I have wheat and dairy sensitivities. (What with all the fat free cottage cheese I was snacking on and switching to whole wheat pasta :) Still stick to a mainly core diet, but also a wheat and dairy free diet. Thought I'd share this experiment since it is the Canadian Thanksgiving. It turned out remarkably well and hardly discernible from my mom's breadcrumb stuffing. But my "gluten-free" changes also make it core.

2 cups Brown rice (uncooked)

2Tblsp red lentils

2 carrots

2 stalks celery

2 cloves garlic

1 1/2 - 2 onions

Mrs Dash, salt, pepper, Poultry seasoning

1-2 cups fat-free chicken broth

2 eggs

Cook the rice a little on the dry side. let cool

Very finely dice all veggies ( I use the food processor. Not quite pureed, but close) and saute in some olive oil, and with about a cup of broth. low-med heat for maybe 15 minutes. (until the onion has mellowed)

Add veggies to rice with seasonings. Quite a bit of poultry seasoning, Maybe 4 Tblsp. (taste it to see if it's to your liking before you put the eggs in)

Add red lentils and eggs. Then a splash, (maybe 1/2 cup) more broth. You don't want it watery, but you do want it quite mucky. The lentils will absorb a lot of the liquid)

Spray a sheet of foil with olive oil and put the stuffing in the centre and wrap it tightly into a package. Bake at 325 for about an hour. I guess you could actually stuff a turkey with it, but I didn't have one to stuff. ( we deep fried ours.... I know, I know....totally NOT core !! :bcb_blush )

Anyway, hope you enjoy!

SW 165

CW 140

reached goal and staying there!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

I'm a gluten-free vegan (for the most part) and I've just made my peace with not having some things. I had a completely veggie Thanksgiving dinner (baked beets, baked potato, mashed acorn squash, mashed rutabaga, niblet corn, carrots and a gluten-free vegan sweet potato pie). I'll tweak around with this (veggie broth instead of chicken) and use a gluten-free egg substitute and see how it goes!

Kimberley

Both sisters have celiac, and I've been trying to figure out how to combine core + gluten free for stuffing. Why didn't I think of brown rice?!

Thanks.

Original SW: 149

New SW (11/8/10): 138

CW: 132

GW: 125

:work_out:

"You were once wild here - don't let them tame you." - Isadora Duncan