Health Discovery Network
SumoRunner

Runner's Thread ~~ November ~~

Two different people told me yesterday that my little blurb was published in the December issue of Runner's World Magazine. I'm not a subscriber so I haven't seen it yet myself, but if you happen to see a copy you'll have to hunt for it. It's really small, just a couple sentences. I have no idea what page it's on.

Coming up this month, my biggest race of the year and then closing out the season. Next week is the 15Km race I have run 25 times since 1978. Then a Thanksgiving day Turkey Trot which is usually the last race of the year for me before the ice and snow make life difficult. These next four weeks are the peak of my year running-wise and I'm in great shape. I'm really looking forward to it.

BTW Padre, as soon as I saw your note about how you're now looking toward another marathon, I was about to shout "Too soon, back off." but then I checked the date on it and it seems far enough away to be safe. A lot of first time marathoners get the fever and start doing 4 or 5 a year. The marathon is the sort of thing you ought to do no more than once or twice a year. Too many, especially when you're a relative newbie at the sport, can destroy you and you wouldn't see it coming until it was too late.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Ran 9 miles in the park this morning with my buddy.

Did anyone get a chance to check out our proposed training schedule that I posted last week. I think it was hard to see beyond those glowing purple pants!! LOL :bcb_grin

Kimberley

Kim- sorry for not replying, my pants were a little loud.

I don't think you need to ramp up so soon. For the time being I would keep the long runs between 12-15 miles and then every 4th week cut that mileage to 2/3rds of the previously weekly long.

then about 8-10 weeks out start your ramp up- 18-20 miles. Plan for 3-5 of those runs. two reasons for that: 1. I've read that anything more than 18 is just mental, physically you aren't doing your body any good. Mentally however you want that training. It's a new ball game after 15 and you want to learn how to be tough in that situation. 2. I can recover from a 15 miler in a day, it takes me 3-4 days to recover from a 20 miler.

Regarding cross training: I couldn't cross train and long run. Starting toward the end of August I had to cut most of my cross training except light weights so I could focus on my running, my body wasn't doing well cross training and running.

Regarding running once a week: I think you can complete a marathon doing that. I would try to work in 3 days of running per week. 2 recovery and 1 long.

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

Thanks Nick!! We're running twice a week-- 13 on Wednesday and 9-10 on Saturday or Sunday. I think we'll probably cut back on some of the extra classes a couple of months out-- dump Pilates, keep some yoga, not go so high impact with interval weights/cardio or spin classes.

I really appreciate the feedback of not ramping up to those long runs too early. I agree that there is a huge mental component. When we run 13 miles, I can't fathom turning around and doing it all again, so that's a mental thing more than a physical thing. That being said, I find running hard on my knees so if I'm running 18+ in just one day, I will be hobbling around for the next day. It's important for me to learn how to build up to those distances so I don't need much recovery time after the fact!!

Kimberley

Happy November buddies! I had my longest run ever today! 10 miles! I feel pretty good, not to sore at all. My hip seems to act up at around mile 6 every week. IDK what's the deal with that.

I was a little worried about running this morning since it was a CRAZY weekend. I started going Friday morning and haven't stopped. Then DD# woke up every hour it seemed wanting water. My guess too much sugar and salt yesterday.

The weather was just beautiful! 57* with a tiny breeze. It's so nice to get out at sunrise and not have to deal with a bunch of traffic. I think I'm on track for my 1/2. If I can run 10, I can make 13! It's crazy to think that I could barely run 1 minute to make it through the Couch to 5k this summer. Now I can run 10 miles!

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

October total was 102.4 miles.

Today: 6.3 miles and a great chest, bicep and ab workout. It's nice to hit the weights hard again. I hadn't lifted hard since the end of August to focus on my running. My muscles are bouncing back quickly. I have a goal to hit an all time low before Christmas. That should make me leaner and more race ready for the spring.

Running Log

Impromptu 9 mile walk this morning. Was going to do a 9 mile run with my buddy but DH & the dog slowed us down to walk pace!! :bcb_down

Kimberley

October total was 102.4 miles.

I don't generally check monthly miles. Week to week is all I'm normally concerned with, but my Oct mileage was 124. That's 4 miles per day on average but since I don't run 7 days a week, it's 5 miles per run. September was very similar. That's a very good stretch for me. Long term I average closer to 3 miles per run.

I sort of tapered off last week with only 19.5 because I was forced to. The legs were getting tired and sore. I'll be going easy again this week because my big 15K race is Sunday. This will be my 26th time there in 32 years.

I'm heading out the door now for a few miles. Today's run will put me over 1000 for the year and with only about 180 to go to log 33,000 miles lifetime.

It's official, I am entered into the Las Vegas Rock n Roll Half Marathon. I did so with butterflies in my stomach. IDK if it was because I just dropped over $100 on a race or because I made the firm commitment to do it! Possibly both ;0).

X training today and 50 min run tomorrow.

weight.png

My runners world log track my miles, I just have to enter the data.

It's comical how inconsistent my months are:

October 102.4 Mi

September: 138.8 Mi

August: 99.3 Mi

July: 117.1 Mi

June: 109.0 M

Or I guess how high september was. Boing boing boing.

I did a 6 mile run today, I pushed the pace a little. I'm not back 100% full strength from the race but I feel fresh and good and I know I'll be back real soon. I'm excited to run when I head out so that's a good thing.

Fitter- you'll have a blast. When's the big day?

Running Log

Holy smokes! $115 to $135 for a race entry fee? No wonder you were all nervous. I'd hate to make that big of a commitment too. I don't know if I've spent that much all year long. They better give you more than a lousy T-shirt.

Dec. 6th. Not just a t shirt... its a "technical shirt." LOL!!!!

Oh, I found a coupon code for $10 off. With the online registration fee it bumped me right back to $112. hmmm what a savings! I guess it costs a lot of $ to shut down the LV strip for 4 hrs!

weight.png

Dec. 6th. Not just a t shirt... its a "technical shirt." LOL!!!!

Technical means, some type of polyester and not cotton. Of all the shirts I've gotten in the last few years since they started calling them technical, those are the best. But watch out if you ever hear a course called technical. That means hilly, rocky, challenging or even dangerous.

The big name races are very expensive. Shamrock half last year was $80. The Marine Corps was $88 which is cheap compared to $177 for the NYC Marathon. I'm going to run the shamrock full and it's $100 if you register before Dec. 31. I don't run the big ones very often so I don't mind paying that once or twice a year. It's definately the experience that cost so much not the race itself.

What's crazy is that there was a 10k here last weekend that was $55, no way am I paying that.

I ran 10k today. 8:45 m/miles.

I'm taking my first yoga class tomorrow- YIKES!

Running Log

I guess I just 2nd guessed myself a bit. Thinking Am I crazy?!?! Can I really do this? Well, I am now! Ran last night. 4 mile recovery. DS 7 is doing the kids marathon, so he ran all 4 with me. AWESOME!

weight.png

Yesterday was a FIRM workout and Kundalini yoga.

Today was a 12 mile run.

Nick- Your hammies will *love* you for doing yoga!!

Kimberley

OK, here comes the biggie event on my annual agenda. I'm on the way out the door to run the Schenectady Stockade-athon 15K. This will be the 26th time in 32 years and I'm pumped. Everything has gone so well this year I can't fail. It's not a matter of whether, but how much better I'll do than last year. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hot damn, I live for this! I ran great today in the 15K, 1:36:06 (1:35:40 if you subtract the time to reach the starting line). That was 11 minutes faster than 08, which was 5 minutes faster than 07, which was 13 minutes faster than 06. That's about about 30 minutes improvement over 3 years and the best time I've run in this race since 1996. All in all, relatively one of the best performances I've had there in 32 years. I'm so pleased with myself, I can't stand it. One injury to report though. Sad to say, I hurt my rotator cuff patting myself on the back so vigorously.

The Schenectady, NY Stockade-athon is one tough cookie. Much harder than the mega-race 15K to our west, The Utica Boilermaker. There was a young hotshot from Colorado named Cabada who showed up telling the press he might break the course record. He's currently the American 25 Km record holder and may have seen the times for this one as "soft" and convinced himself he could better them. Not so fast. He ran well, maybe in the top 10 all-time but nowhere near a record.

The course is hilly and hilly where it hurts most. In short, the first half is largely down and the second half mostly up. I started well, running about 9:45 per mile for the first few and was still under 10 min/mi pace through 10K and only started to lose it on the hill at mile 7. The last two miles were a struggle but I knew I'd end up with a good time by then, so it didn't hurt as much as it might have. The 5K splits were 30:44, 31:16 & 34:07, losing about a minute per mile in the third 5K. Bear in mind I was still running 31 for 5K alone back in June.

I was also on a USA T&F age graded team that placed 1st. That was fun because one at this age and pace doesn't normally expect awards or trophies in races with over 1200 finishers. Not that it's worth anything more than bragging rights, but I can brag with the best of them, so it'll do. Just need to be careful with that rotator cuff.

One injury to report though. Sad to say, I hurt my rotator cuff patting myself on the back so vigorously.

You've got a great sense of humor! Let me do the patting for a few minutes so you can take a break, you've earned it.

Running Log

Great job Jack! :bcb_bravo

Not much exercise here lately. DH & I drove to Madison, WI on Friday. His mentor/father figure has terminal cancer. They visited on Saturday. We drove back home today. I had an allergic reaction to the ventilation system at the hotel (that always happens) and I could barely walk yesterday.

I plan to go running with my buddy tomorrow if she's up to it after having a biopsy done in the morning (I'm taking her to the hospital first thing).

Kimberley

Hey guys. Sorry I have been MIA for awhile. Things in the family have been really, really crazy.

Nick: Congrats on the marathon. Love the pants

Jack: I saw your letter in my copy of Runners World as well. Page 15. Great job on the 15K.

Kimberley and Fitter: I too am looking at doing a marathon next year...beginning of April in Florida if I can find one...I plan on staying with my sister for a week then.

I have been doing a lot of run/walks working towards my 1/2 in December. I have a 10 miler this Saturday, then I start to taper back down. I havn't gotten to train like I wanted to because of family obligations, but things have calmed down again for the time being, so I can work on it again.

Great to be back.

‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown