Health Discovery Network
SumoRunner

Runner's Thread ~~ November ~~

Popping in to say howdy to all my running buddies!

Jack, congrats on the letter and the weekend race! A star in our midst! Will you remember us when you're really big and famous?? :bcb_grin

I'm still not running. Took a short 10 min. trot on Sat. in the middle of a long trail walk. I paid for it later in the day. I'm finding the elliptical - at least for me - is the closest I can come to running.

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Jack- you DO rock! What else can you say!

Sheri K- welcome back.

Kim- feel better!

I ran 12 Sunday morning! I guess I am ready for the 1/2. It's just beautiful weather, highs in the mid 70*s. So, prob high 50*s when I ran. 10 - 15 mph breezes. I'm a little sore today. Good sore, like when you have had a good work out. A couple recovery runs planned for this week. On tap for the weekend. A 6 miler. I am now starting to follow the plan for the full marathon. Galloway on the fat loss chart. Right now it's a week to week basis.

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

Jack, congrats on the letter and the weekend race! A star in our midst! Will you remember us when you're really big and famous?? :bcb_grin

Being big is why I'm here. Y'know, I finally got the T-shirt that comes for publishing a note in the magazine and it didn't fit. Sigh. Somebody in the family will take it. I got a nice zip-up polyester vest for placing 2nd in a 5k a couple weeks ago and that didn't fit either. Gave it to my son. I'm outfitting the whole family it seems. When I won the pies was the time for giveaways.

I managed to run 3 miles this morning. I was stiff and took it real slow but the legs didn't hurt as much this year. Probably because I've run so many races this fall, those muscles are a bit stronger. I did have some aches in places I didn't expect though.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

My buddy & I ran 12.5 miles this morning. It was supposed to be 13 but I dumped out one street early and walked up the hill home. My knees have been bothering me. I've broken in a pair of ASIC Gel Nimbus II runners but think that I might use my New Balance next run and see as I don't recall my knees hurting as much with them!

Sheri & Kristi- It will be the year of the BCB women runners in 2010 with all three of us doing a marathon!! :bcbkickbu

Nick- Thanks for the support. It was an emotional weekend. bcb_sad

Kimberley

Being big is why I'm here.

:( Awww, Jack! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean "big" to refer to body. I meant it to mean valuable, prominent, significant.

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

30 minute walk to and from work today.

‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown

Just back from a vacation in Laguna Beach, California. I ran 4 out of the 6 days so that I could enjoy myself and EAT, but man is it hilly out there. I did one trail run one morning straight up a mountain...tough for a Jersey Shore guy. The other runs were along the PCH but were up and down hills the entire time, tough on the hammys and knees but a cool experience none the less. Back to the trails for me, did 6 Sunday and will do 6 today after work. Enjoy the run!:bcb_march

LWT1960

6.0'

CW 181

Kimberley, Have you tried taking glucosamine. I have new knees because of it. Also my New Balance 669's rock.

Got the "final instructions" for the LV 1/2. I was nervous just reading them.

weight.png

I just saw the final standings of the local club grand prix series. This is a big club, well over 2000 members. The GP has 12 races throughout the year and the 15k last Sunday was the final of the 09 series. To score at all you have to be in the age group top 10 of a race so there are plenty of races like this last one where I won't score a single point. But I managed to score in enough of them.

Final standings, 10th of 43 in the 60-69 AG, the first time ever that I came anywhere close to the top ten in any age group. And I've been running with the club since 1982. (In fact, I was the one who set up the GP series in it's current format in 1986.)

This was my third and least likely goal for the year, but I made all three, (8 minute mile, 27 minute 5K and top 10 Age Group) so the year is complete and I can close out the fall racing season with great satisfaction. Oh, I might run one or two more races before year end but they aren't ones I key on, just social events like the Turkey Trot.

5 miles today on the treadmill. We're in the middle of a nor'easter which is dumping some serious rain and wind on our area. Since we're a coastal city we'll flood a good bit. Nothing too serious so far.

I took the opportunity to try to not go insane by running hills. .75 @ 4% grade with .25 recoveries all at 9 m/mile.

hills=speed work in disguise

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

4 miles last night in 50:20 with 1:1 ratio run/walk.

Not bad considering 1/2 the time was walking. I do 1:1's on my short runs when DS 7 is with me. He rocks!

Oh, and I made it to Onederland officially! This is a HUGE milestone for me!

weight.png

Yesterday was an hour *intense* interval class (weights and cardio). I was soaked to the bone at the end of the hour!! I had a 1 mile walk with the dog and kids in the afternoon and then my standard Kundalini Yoga last night.

Today was 75 minutes in the spin room. Tonight I'm running 7 miles with my buddy!

QUESTION: How important are quick intervals when training for a long distance run? I find that it's hard on my knees to do the short intervals in the spin room so I tend to do more endurance work (resistance) when everyone else is doing the transition from runs to heavier, etc. I figure that if I'm not focused on improving my speed, endurance work will help condition my body better for a full marathon. I still have interval classes with weights and cardio that really max out my oxygen recovery rates around 2 times per week. What do you think?

Kristi- CONGRATS on onederland!! I haven't tried glucosamine. I'll check it out!! I am going to go back to my New Balance runners. My buddy swears by the ASICS Gel Nimbus II's so I bought a pair. I'm not sure if the shoe is making my knees tender or if it's the increased mileage for the long runs. I may have a better idea tonight when I run with the NBs!!

Nick- I hope the flooding isn't too bad.

Kimberley

Did the 7 mile run tonight with my NB 1062s instead of the ASICS Gel Nimbus. Knees are fine right now but they have been "breaking down" around the 11-12 mile mark with the ASICS so unfair to compare at 7 miles with the NB. I'll use the NB on Monday when we next do 13.

Kristi- Having problems finding vegan glucosamine or chondroitin. Did find vegan MSM so going to give that a try.

Kimberley

QUESTION: How important are quick intervals when training for a long distance run?

I wouldn't go so far as to call it useless but of highly questionable value. If your goal is longer than 10K then endurance is the key. If you do short workouts, do form drills. You can look them up on google. Form drills improve the mechanics of your stride but don't overstress the muscles and tendons. Sprint intervals increase the odds of injury tremendously. Why chance that?

As usual, listen to Jack. Any speed work you want to do with marathon training should be longer intervals- 1 mile @ half marathon pace w/ .25 recovery, 2 miles @ marathon pace with .5 mile recovery, stuff like that.

You can get away without it all all.

The storm finally passed so I got out for 5.5 with my neighbor today. 8:16 m/mile, the dude is fast.

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

I did 33 miles this week which was good considering I was still pretty sore the first 3 days following the 15K race. This morning was one of my favorite routes, a coffee run. The weather was exceptional for November, 59F/15C and calm. Ran 2 miles to the nearest coffee shop and got a cuppa joe, then walked and sipped until it was done. I continued on with a caffeine boost for a total of 9.3 miles.

My next event, next Sunday, is not a race per se. It's called the Turkey Raffle Run. They lay out a one mile loop and you run as many loops in an hour as you want, collecting one raffle ticket upon completion of each loop. Then they raffle off pies, cakes, cookies and of course turkeys for Thanksgiving dinner. There will be people running as hard as they can to maximize their chances and families walking and pushing babies in strollers. Yeah, they give the baby a ticket for passing go also.

I also got out the "do 100 push-ups" plan again, ready to begin anew tomorrow morning. I've been neglecting them for several months. I never got to 100 consecutive last winter/spring but I was able to do several sets of 50. Despite months of slacking, I easily did 30 yesterday so it shouldn't take me the full 6 weeks to get up to max effort this time. I've also bolted a pull-up bar to the rafters of my basement to work whatever muscles the push-ups don't get. Let's just see how that all goes.

Seven glorious miles through the woods today, love the morning runs, so much energy!

LWT1960

6.0'

CW 181

Thanks for the feedback Jack & Nick. I don't like to run intervals. I do interval work in the spin room, just to help with cardio capacity. When I hit the road to run, I get into steady state and stay there!!

I got slammed to the ground on Friday with a virus. I barely left the couch from late Friday morning to Sunday night-- which was no mean feat as DH and 2 of my kids were gone camping and I was left home alone with the youngest!! *eek*

Back in the saddle today-- 10 mile walk with my buddy. I might be able to run again by the end of the week!! :bcb_huh:

Kimberley

Ran 4 miles this morning and decided to take a little side trail into the woods, in an area where I've never trod before. I didn't get far before I ran into a town property that has security cameras and limited access so I had to turn back.

Ever since 9/11 some of my old routes have also been blocked by security fences and cameras. I used to have a nice 6 mile route that took me past the perimeter of the Albany Airport. There were spots where a little jump over a drainage ditch would have taken me right out onto the runway. No more. Now not only is it fenced with access roads gated and locked but I wouldn't be surprised if there were land mines.

I can see where a bit of extra security may have been warranted in some areas, but Albany? We ain't a major metropolis up here. And the facility I ran to this morning wasn't what you'd think would be a high priority terrorist target. It was the town sewage treatment plant. The smell would have turned me back soon enough without a security perimeter. I mean, c'mon!

Yeah! I can be cool like you guys. I jogged/walked 1.2 miles this morning! C25K is not that hard!

MO#83