Health Discovery Network
SumoRunner

Runner's Thread ~~ November ~~

Mike, WTG on C25K. That's how I started. It's a great intro into running. Keep it up!! Before you know it, you'll be addicted to running 5Ks. :bcb_grin

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Mike! Welcome! You're right it's not that hard. Just stick with it slow and steady. Be willing to push yourself a little and you'll keep doing great.

My 93 year old grandmother told me yesterday "sometimes we have to suffer a little" I thought that was good running advice.

5 miles in 41 minutes- that's an 8:15 pace, long run tomorrow as per Higdon Intermediate 2 plan.

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

Slowly feeling better and getting back into the groove. Can't remember where I last left off-- Monday, 10 mile walk in the woods; Tuesday, 70 minutes in the spin room; Wednesday, 1hr interval weights & cardio class; Thursday, 70 minutes in the spin room; Friday, TBD!!

I hope to start back to running again next week-- if not on Friday!!

Kimberley

Hey Buddies, my mom has been in town, so my running has been a little off. Ran 6 monday morning it felt great. @ min run 1 min walk ratios for 12:30 miles. Thats smokin fast for me :0). I missed a recovery run this week and will run 4 this afternoon. 14 up for sunday morning. I got some sportbeans to try out on my long run. We will see.

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

10 miles in 1:29, 8:55 m/mile

Nice morning for a run, overcast and mid 60's with a slight breeze. Due to a bandaid malfunction the shirt had to come off at mile 2.

PC you're gonna excite the ladies!

Just kiddin. I Jolked a mile this morning. I made a word. get it!?

Next week I am getting good new running shoes! then I will start week two!

MO#83

Next week I am getting good new running shoes! then I will start week two!

Don't skimp on the shoes. There is no other required cost in this sport. You can wear any old rags on your butt but cover your foot with quality. Go to a running store and get some advice on what type you need and how to get a good fit. Get a size larger than you'd normally wear for work or walking about. You need about an extra thumb's width in the front because the foot expands on impact. And always measure your foot. Just because you've been wearing one size for years doesn't mean it'll stay that way. Your foot can actually grow a size or two in the first few years of running.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Today was a 1hr interval cardio & weights class.

Saturday is a 9 mile walk/run with my sister!

Mike- The bare chest with falling off nipple band aids can't distract us any more than the purple pants!! LOL :bcb_grin

Kimberley

Mike- I say this more than anyone but listen to jack. When you go to the running shoe store they will ask you what size you wear. Tell them "I don't know." They will look at you like a moron, then correct yourself and tell them you want to be measure and you need a gait analysis. Make sure you pronounce gait right. :)

Running clothes can be found cheap (and really aren't necessary). I just found tights at walmart. Go figure.

Running Log

Mike- The bare chest with falling off nipple band aids can't distract us any more than the purple pants!! LOL :bcb_grin

Tru dat Kim!

Mike, the C 2 5k is how I started! I started last spring and am now up to 12 miles! Also, I went recently to get properly fitted for kicks and when I tried on my professionally fitted shoes it brought tears to my eyes how wonderfully they fit.

DS 7 and I ran 5 miles tonight. The only thing I don't like about running w/ him is that he wants to carry on full conversations while running. I dont have the air to answer his questions. He can have a full out conversation like hes just on a leisurely stroll. :bcb_confu How is that possible? He's amazing!

We ran a 2:1 run/walk.

weight.png

OH, BTW my new fave store for running gear is TJ Maxx. I'm sure Ross or Marshall's would be the same.

weight.png

5 treadmill miles today. What fun! 8:55 m/mile.

Anybody doing a turkey trot on Thursday? I'm going to run a 5k with my wife and pace her to her goal time and then I'm going to run the 10k to try to set a new PR. Should be a fun day!

Running Log

Two turkey runs for me.

The first one is tomorrow morning, the Turkey Raffle Run. Not exactly a race, but a fun time. The runners club lays out a one mile loop in a local park and for one hour you run as many loops as you can or want to and you get a raffle ticket as you finish each mile. Then they raffle off turkeys, cakes, pies, cookies. The entry fee is $4 or something edible to be raffled off, so there is a lot to go around. There will be young hot shots trying to get in 8-9 miles, casual joggers, walkers, whole families with babies in strollers.

Then there's the 46th annual City of Cohoes Turkey Trot. There are several TTs in this area some with a thousand or more runners. I choose a smaller one of 150 or so, first because it's the closest to home and second because the entry fee is some canned goods donated to the local food pantry. I've run this one the last 3 years, placing 2nd in my age group last year. It's a hilly 3.5 but all the ups are in the first half and the last mile is a screamer all downhill.

Dang! I didn't win a turkey in the raffle. I didn't win an apple pie or pumpkin pie or even anyone's home made banana bread. All I got for my 5 miles was a package of store brand chocolate cookies. I threw them out. I've sort of lost my taste for such junky things in recent years. Perhaps it's good that I didn't get a pumpkin pie. I'll never lose my taste for that.

It was a lot fun though. The first mile was terribly congested so it took about 11 minutes, not that it was a race anyway, but the guy who passed me in the last 5K was there so I had to at least stay ahead of him. I finished 5 miles in about 52 minutes and that was fine. My nemesis was nowhere to be seen.

What happens when you get 400 people on a one mile loop course is that you are always running with company. In most smaller road races once the crowd thins out you run pretty much alone. Here I was constantly passing and being passed and always close to someone I knew and could chat with a bit. It was totally a social event.

No Turkey runs here naturally. Gonna do any up north here in DC or MD Padre?

I did my first week two jog/walk today and it was good. With more jogging, I burned a few more calories and went a little farther than before. Nice to see the stats increase. After week 2, I plan to download the podcasts to help me keep track. Any recommendations for C25K podcasts?

Thanks for the advice guys. I am flatfooted, so I got a shoe for that and got it bigger than normal. As I am wide, I got it over the internet and it should arrive one of these days soon. I won't start week three before they get here.

As for a fitting, how do I find a specialty store for fitting? I am in the 20902 zip code of Maryland. I have tried googling it, but I don't come up with much or the places have a weak internet store, so I ignore them. Advice?

MO#83

Mike, when I was doing the c25k, I downloaded Robert Ullrey's podcasts. It's a 9 week program. There are others out there, but I liked his. He tells you when to run or walk, so you don't have to keep looking at a stopwatch. The muzak isn't the greatest.

There are New Balance stores around where I live that will custom fit a pair of sneakers. I did a quick google search, and here's a link to some stores in your area, based on your zip code.

http://www.newbalance.com/findastore/storefinder_results.php?formActionType=storefinder&streetAddress=&city=&state=&zip=20902&country=US&d=Select&submit.x=39&submit.y=7

Darlene

RESTART 8/25/2012

Thanks Darlene. I found one near my house. I might try tonight after Kungfu.

How has running change you or your fitness and weight loss journey Darlene?

MO#83

Mike what shoe size are you? I have some 769's that I would send you. I doubt we're the same size but it's worth asking.

There are 3 fleet feet stores near Silver Spring. They won't have a great internet store but going into one will be excellent for your running career!

3 easy miles today 8:55 m/mile

Running Log

11.5 EEEE width

Do I dare hope against hope? :)

There is a New Balance -certified shop near my house, so I will try to make it there this week ASAP. I personally think I am a moderate overpronater and flat footed. Why dont you want those 769s? They didn't suit you?

I really felt my feet during this morning's jolk. The felt wide and like they were spreading out in my shoe. But they didn't hurt. It felt cool, almost PRIMAL! GRRRH~

MO#83

Here's the style I've been wearing for many years. They do come in 11.5 4E.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/NBA112/

The NB 580 is an 80s throwback, now called a classic because it ain't sexy enough to splash on their front page ads, but long time heavywieghts like me keep buying them and demand they keep them in stock.

Love my NB 769's.

Can't wait to get a chance to tell you about my 14 miler on Sunday. I even took notes so I wouldn't forget!

weight.png

when I was jolking I was in the 767 but when I started running I went to the asics gel foundation 7 which is a motion control shoe over a stability shoe in the 767. So basically running required more support for me. Now the 769's my feet feel like they are burning through the soles when I run more than a few miles.

the toe box is too wide or something, they just don't feel right. But unfortunately I'm a 12.5 EE, so... it's not gonna work.

Running Log

Thanks Darlene. I found one near my house. I might try tonight after Kungfu.

How has running change you or your fitness and weight loss journey Darlene?

Mike, running has helped to strengthen my legs more than walking could ever do. I'm seeing definition in my legs and also in my stomach area. Running is the exercise shake-up I needed to see more results bodywise. And, the best part is the endorphin high. It's like a drug. The more you run, the more you want to run cuz you feel soo damn good when you're done.

I haven't run since the end of Sept. due to heel pain. When I start back up, hopefully in the spring, I plan on using the c25k podcast again. I find the elliptical is a good replacement for running. I'm not a dreadmill person, doesn't do a thing for me (either walking or running on it).

Darlene

RESTART 8/25/2012