Health Discovery Network
SumoRunner

Runner's Thread ~~ November ~~

I have one pair of New Balance RC769 shoes. The RC is for racing, so they have much less cushioning than the 769 trainers. However the construction of all but the soles is the same and I've had good luck with them. I even ran as far as 15Km in them a couple weeks ago. I wouldn't go beyond that without fear of injury. Mostly they're great for running 5Ks.

When I was 40 lbs heavier I wore size 11-EE but the last couple years got into a regular D width.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Mike, running has helped to strengthen my legs more than walking could ever do. I'm seeing definition in my legs and also in my stomach area. Running is the exercise shake-up I needed to see more results bodywise. And, the best part is the endorphin high. It's like a drug. The more you run, the more you want to run cuz you feel soo damn good when you're done.

I haven't run since the end of Sept. due to heel pain. When I start back up, hopefully in the spring, I plan on using the c25k podcast again. I find the elliptical is a good replacement for running. I'm not a dreadmill person, doesn't do a thing for me (either walking or running on it).

I love to watch TV as I run and I love my office gym, so the "dreadmill" is my option of choice atm, but later I look forward to getting outside and running, even doing 5Ks. I am beginning to feel a great feeling of freedom. It's like, "Woah, I CAN run!" I never thought even jolking on a treadmill for 20 minutes was possible at 300 lbs. But it is and I feel great doing it. My step father and step brother have always been runners, but never me. Now maybe I can take part or even beat them at their own game one day!

What's wrong with your heel Darlene?

MO#83

http://www.buriedtalentsband.com/C25K/ Mike this is the podcast I used. kinda funky.

I finally have some time to type this out. I ran 14 miles on Sunday morning. I left a little later than usual, around 7:30. I think because it's starting to get a little cooler and I didn't want to leave before dark. It was 45* F when I started and sunny with a tiny breeze. I think this is perfect running weather! I planted a water bottle at .2 miles and at 5.25 miles. I went out and back two ways and one of the ways twice. So, I drank at 3, 5.25, 8.75, 11 and 14. I also tried Sport Beans by Jelly Belly (more on that later.)

I ran 1:1 (run/walk) ratios from mile 1-7 then 1.5:1 from miles 7-10 then 2:1 for miles 10-11 then back to 1:1 for the final 3 miles because I was feeling fatigued.

I felt great on the run until around mile 10. Mile 10 was a pain. Sunscreen and sweat mixture ran into my eye and my running shorts started to rub my inner thighs raw. I don't know why this happened with my shorts. These are the same shorts I always wear. I didn't have a problem with this on my 12 miler and I just don't get it.

Then my right side starts to stiffen up a bit. The longer the run the later it starts. Same order. Back of thigh stiffens, then front of thigh, then calf. The good news is that my hip doesn't hurt at all. I wonder if this happens because the streets and sidewalks are not level. They all grade toward the gutter slightly for rainfall. However, I do out and backs so it should even out. Also, I check my watch for interval changes and wonder if the movement of lifting my left hand and turning my head to look at the watch has anything to do with it. I am going to get a gymboss here real soon. (it's a small timer that you can set up to beep for intervals.) Any thoughts here????? All in all mile ten was a bit of a comedy of errors.

My 12 miler I started getting hunger growls in the last several miles this is with eating a bowl of oatmeal before the run and I still was hungry. I tried the Sports Beans this week because the Fleet Feet owner recommended them. I told him that I thought my stomach may get upset with the Gu so I went with what he said. I thought they were good, not great.

Now for TMI (too much information.) The Sports Beans in Watermelon flavor, with caffeine tasted slighly mediciney. I guess this is because of the amount of electrolytes in such a small dose. I liked that they stuck to my teeth and roof of my mouth and slowly drained to my stomach (tmi). I like that they didn't upset my stomach. I really liked the caffeine. I do think they create excess phelm (gross.) I took them 2 at a time starting mile 6 and only went through one package. I still got hunger growls in the last mile. Not as bad though. And I added a hard boiled egg to my oatmeal breakfast to add some protien. I will use Sports Beans again.

Two more tmi's. The amount of salt that cakes on my face from sweat is crazy. The last and grossest thing is that I am getting really good at is launching snot rockets:bcb_grin. I honestly don't know what else to do with the amount of snot running creates. I can't really run around with a box of kleenex. Any suggestions?

Next long run: 12/06 Las Vegas 1/2 Marathon! If I can run 14, I can run 13.1!

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

As for the rubbage- you'll hear body glide recommended. And I'm sure it works. I have found ky to work just as well.

As for the tighten- that happens when I'm dehydrated. I'm not sure if that's what it was for you but just an idea.

As for the snot- yep just blow snot rockets. I like to use my gloves and then just throw them in the wash with the rest of my clothes.

5.1 in 45:00 today, 8:50 m/mile. Rest day tomorrow and then 10k on Thursday. Can't wait!

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

Peeps I am swooning from the grossness! Ah just kidding lol.

I just went for a walk with coworkers and I sooooo wanted to break out into a jog!

MO#83

Mike- I know some of my running buddies way more than I want to- especially the women. It seems that while running nothing is off limits from conversations to places to use the bathroom. At the Marine Corp Marathon at the start I ducked into a copse of trees to pee. It wasn't weird with a guy to my right but the lady to my left was a little awkward. Nobody blinked so I just rolled with it. Then right there in Georgetown there were hoards of runners line up in the trees to pee; men and women alike, some more well hidden than others.

Running Log

Thanks Kristi. It will be nice to have another podcast option. I dig Christian music every now and then, so cool! Thanks!

MO#83

Mike, I have plantar facitis (sp?). I've been ignoring it for about a year and would load up on Advil before 5Ks so I could run the races. After the last 5K in Sept., I decided to take a break from running to let this heal cuz I just can't keep eating Advil like candy. I will go to the doc after the holidays to see if there's some type of therapy (other than cortisone shot) to take care of this. My chiro has been adjusting my foot which seems to help a bit but the pain is still there.

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Physical therapy helped my pinched nerve in my neck A LOT!

A good PT will help you get stronger long-term.

MO#83

The Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot is traditionally the end of the racing season around here and it went out with a bang for this runner. Third place in the 60-69 age group at the 3.5 mile City of Cohoes TT. I finished 2 minutes faster than last year (and last year's course was short by about 100 yards) in 32:15 (9:13/mile). That might have won the age group outright the last several years but this race has gotten more popular recently, from 75 people two years ago, 150 last year, 300 this year.

Best of all I was 5 or 10 seconds ahead of the guy who beat me in the last 5K we ran. He started closer to the front and I had some catching up to do but passed him before reaching mile 1. Then came the hill, mile 2 is all uphill and I knew I couldn't allow him to reel me back in so I kept pressing on the hill until it hurt. The great thing about this race though is that from mile 2 on in to 3.5 is a long gradual downhill. You can let out all the stops which is why I knew I could push so hard up the hill. It just barely held him off. I never looked back but I knew he would be there since our last few races have been very close. I heard footsteps coming on with 100 yards to go and I was so afraid it was him I pressed even harder. It wasn't him but he was indeed trying to close in, just not enough. Damn, what a great way to end a great year. This will go down as the best year I've ever had in athletics.

... until 2010.

Jack! Jack! Jack!

Great work.

5k- I ran with my wife. There were 4 port o johns for about 800 runners. We needed to go about 15 minutes before the race and I knew we didn't have enough time. I told my wife that we would miss the start and we agreed that it was ok and we'd just go by watch time. We started about 4 minutes after the gun. Which was perfect because we didn't waste energy bobbing and weaving between runners and we got to pass lots and lots of people.

It was fun being able to pace her, I encouraged her to hold back and had to reign her in a few times in the early miles. She ran well and ran strong- 34:00 on her finish. She was elated.

We met up with the group from church, talked for a few and had a good time. I walked back to the car with them said my good byes and put on my sleeveless for the 10k.

As I walked over to the 10k they announced the start in 5 minutes. I hit the woods for one more relief session and then worked my way up to the start of the line. Gun went off at 9:45.

My goal was 7:25 m/miles. Finished in 45:41 that's 7:22 m/miles. Success.

Running Log

Padre , great job on pacing your wife , my hubby did that for me when I did my first 10 km this summer , what a difference to my confidence ...we now run a lot together , running in general has changed my life over all and it is great to have people to encourage you and you in turn pass it on !!

great job jack as always an inspiration ...

Mike K keep up the good work ...

Kimberley how is your marathon training going ? this year ,I am aiming for a popular 10 mile race ...

I am still plugging away at it and doing well ...

Success is-being who you are,and feeling proud of yourself for every task and challenge that you face and conquer along the way.

Dead Last Finish is greater than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start.

She woke up one morning and threw away all her excuses.

Where did I leave off?

Sunday- rest

Monday- 3 mile walk

Tuesday- 1hr spin

Wednesday- rest

Thursday- 1hr spin & 7.25 mile run

Friday- 1hr spin & 1hr Zumba (or pilates)

Jack- Great job!

Nick- HILARIOUS about the woman peeing beside you at the marathon!! Great job to both you and your wife!

Mike- Keep up the great work!!

Kristi- I'm a salt lick as well when I run! I often get pain either in my knees or in my sciatic nerve when I run. Sometimes it helps to stop and do a bit of stretching. It's not good for momentum but is good for the seizing muscles! I always make sure to put some VEGA sport drink powder in my bottle when we do 13+ miles. It's only around 80 calories for the scoop but it helps get me through the run!

Cassidy- GREAT to hear from you! I posted birthday wishes (I think)! I was sidelined for a couple of weeks with that horrible chest/coughing virus that may have been H1N1 (again) or just a bad virus. I'm trying to get back up and running (literally) but my joints are still sore, my back is tender and my lungs just aren't where they were two weeks ago. I'll have to fight my way back again like I did this past spring when we all had swine flu. Darned pigs!! :bcb_mad2

Kimberley

Great race report Jack. I ran my first 10K yesterday. I had to laugh at your nemesis report. My one running buddie's goal is to never let me beat him in a race. There are two girls who are trying to beat me at every race and my goal is to never let them do it. I was able to pass them in the first mile and kept thinking they would try and pass me. You would think that we run fast for this to be an issue but it took me 1:11 to run the race. Suzy

The important thing is not to gloat. My foe didn't laud it over me at the last race, so I invited him to my house for some pie. He could have his choice of Apple, Pumpkin or Humble. Bwwwwahahahaha!

My IPod died last night after 8 glorious years. This means no Week 3 podcasts for C25k... So...I will keep going with week 2 for the time being until DW gives me the OK to buy a new one...

MO#83

long run today (mistake) my training plan calls for pace runs the day before long runs so I treated my 10k yesterday as a pace run- the problem is that my pace yesterday was 1 m/mile faster than my pace runs are supposed to be.

So I was sore and it wasn't fun but I ran 11 miles this morning. The weather sucked too, cold and windy. So some directions we would roast and others we would freeze.

Running Log

The important thing is not to gloat.

We are all friends and I will gloat if I ever beat my friend because we run together at least once a week and if I ever beat him it will because he has stopped training. I am trying to get him to do the quad competition with me next year because the swim and bike portions will give me an advantage. If the girls who are trying to beat me do it they will be allowed to gloat because I run with them once in awhile and it will mean that their hard work has paid off. Suzy

I was with Nick today-- 11 mile run, cold and windy (around 30 degrees) and I was either frozen or sweating depending on when we hit the hills. My knees are still sore and my lungs are still restricted from the virus. I felt like I was lumbering along at a shuffle. We did 11 miles in 1hr45 so we weren't *that* slow!!!

Kimberley

My DW laid hands on my iPod and it came back to life. She has a gift. Now my new shuffle is on the way AND I got my old iPod back. I am on top of the world! WOOT!

My hip joint/groin is bothering me, which I hope is the result of using bad shoes for the last 2 weeks... And I hope having my new shoes will clear it up. May do some strength training later or just rest and do some hardcore yoga tomorrow.

MO#83

6 mile run in 25 degree foggy weather. I'm trying to psyche myself up for the frigid and icy months ahead. I'm going to break down and get a running jacket and a pair of ice joggers. Will likely let DH wrap it up for Christmas!!

Tomorrow is boxing and either hot yoga or an interval weights class! :wave:

Kimberley

6 km yesterday it was a balmy 15 c lol almost unheard for here this time of year !

Kim sorry to hear that you have been battling the flus , It takes a while to bounce back from being sick !! When is your Marathon ,May ?

I am hoping to run all winter outdoors this year , I run 3 days a week which works for me , seem to to have less complaints and other days I XT and swim and my run days I really enjoy now ....

I hate the TM but at the same time I am not a lover of ice ...last year I got a pair of yaktrax for walking but I still found my self sliding on clean ice ...

Yes I got your birthday wishes thread thanks !!!

hope you recover fully soon ,,

cassidy

Success is-being who you are,and feeling proud of yourself for every task and challenge that you face and conquer along the way.

Dead Last Finish is greater than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start.

She woke up one morning and threw away all her excuses.