Health Discovery Network
PadreC

Runner's Thread ~December~

Oh you beat me by a few yards. 6.2 miles for me this morning. I saw the first snow flakes of the year. We've been lucky so far. By this time most years we'd have some accumulation.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Help buddies! I am ending a sinus infection (I hope!) Do I taper down for my 1/2 on Sunday or just rest?!?!?! I don't know what to do. Will running help me feel better or make it worse?????

BTW the Christmas stuff is cute!

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

Help buddies! I am ending a sinus infection (I hope!) Do I taper down for my 1/2 on Sunday or just rest?!?!?! I don't know what to do. Will running help me feel better or make it worse?????

Depends on how severe the head cold is. I'd just do a slow easy jog to see how you feel afterward. Running opens up the sinuses and clears your head while you run. Your nose will run like a faucet. Then shortly after you stop the sinus openings clamp shut again and you'll get a major pressure headache.

Fitter, ditto what Jack said. I was sick all summer - massive sinus infection, then bronchitis, then pneumonia. Through it all, I managed to get out a run a bit cuz I knew it would help loosen the crap in the nose and lungs!! Bring lots of kleenex.

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Yesterday was a 1hr intense interval class.

Today is 75 minutes in the spin room and around 7 miles running tonight with my buddy. We had a 14 mile run scheduled for tomorrow but it's a PD Day so we're breaking it in half and doing the other half tomorrow morning very early!!

Kristi- I hope you're feeling better soon! Great info from Jack & Darlene. I agree with Nick that if it helps to run, go for it. If you need to rest, it won't change whether or not you can physically do the run!

Kimberley

Thanks guys. I have an appt today I'm gonna get some antibiotics. I start feeling better then I have to sleep and it all settles back in and its not going away.

weight.png

got some anti biotics and nasonex and am already feeling better. I go get my race number TOMORROW!

weight.png

13.1 in 1:56. My garmin said 13.2 and running friend's said 13.0 so I split the difference.

Felt good, I've been doing my marathon pace days the day before my long run as per Higdon intermediate 2 and I can say that I feel the difference. The last few miles of the run I'm worn down and putting forth more effort which is the entire point of doing the pace work the day before.

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

I am 1/2 marathoner 26585. I checked my new times and can actually move up a few corals but, whats the difference. Like 1 minute or so?

I figured out my "throw away" clothing. Not cool purple pants and winnie the pooh, but close. The most hideous plaid, flannel pajamas you have ever seen! I am determined to figure out how to post pics after. Maybe I'll get a pic up in my avatar even.

Two days away and I already can't sleep.

The packet pick up was CRAZY! Crawling with people and they kept tripping over my kids who were trying to keep up with the crowds. I get annoyed because Vegas isn't really a family destination and tourists get annoyed with kiddos "in the way." But hey, this is my HOME. Don't treat me like I dont belong. (wow, dont know where that rant came from:0) anyways as you can tell by these ramblings, I have nerves!

weight.png

Take it easy today and see if you can get in a nap. Don't forget to hydrate today. Stay in the corral you're in and enjoy the slow pace for a mile or two. You have plenty of time to make up the difference if you feel good. Remember my favorite race motto- start slow and then taper off. :bcb_wink3

Don't forget to have a good time. Enjoy the crowds, if you're like me they will fuel you- it's amazing. Just keep it in control.

Have fun!

ps. we want to see pics, especially of the pre race look. Make sure your bib is showing for all the race photos.

Running Log

I pulled a muscle in my calf on the 7 mile run yesterday morning. I'm off today. We're supposed to go on a run tomorrow but I'll have to see how it goes. I may be on the spin cycle for the week to keep up the cardio. I've been SO careful with my running to not push myself into an injury. I felt it on Friday morning when we were 3/4 into the run. It was -8 and my buddy had a time deadline to get home so I slowed down and thought it would be okay. I should have just had her run ahead and walked home by myself. bcb_sad

Kristi- Good Luck!

Kimberley

I finished in 3:01:26 28,000 runners I have pics and I'll update you all further later!

weight.png

Excellent finish Kristi. You're a veteran now so you can speak with more authority when any newbies show up.

I've been totally out of commission for several days with the flu. My son the engineer from Princeton brought it up with him at Thanksgiving and his facebook entry called it sine flu so I must have at least had the cosine flu. We had 14 people at our house that weekend and exchanged germs from Princeton, Binghamton and Staten Island. Albany must not have any native germs. The grandchildren ended up with flu, strep or pink eye, whichever they hadn't already brought with them. And this wasn't the first such occurance. At Christmas 3 years ago everybody got the same gift, a projectile puking bug.

ahh the joys of the family get together diseases.

Congrats on the half, fitter! When's your next? :bcb_grin

Easy 3 today. 30* which isn't cold for you northern folk but I almost turned to ice about 1.5 miles in.

Running Log

Yeah Kristi!

I still haven't gotten to a shoe store for a gait analysis so I am holding off on C25K... I did do 30 minutes of TM walking and elliptical, and then pumped major Iron this AM. YEAH!

MO#83

trying to put in pic!

well, got it in the avatar. Next posting a pic!

To bad the glare is bad!view.sfly?fid=032afcb993b7a3bd6276141d224b0f78

weight.png

Well, Here it goes.

It was all kind of surreal. I went to bed the night before and was able to fall asleep. I just kept waking up every hour even though I knew my clock was set. Finally, at 3:15 I just got up. Which ended up good. I needed the extra time to get ready.

I was worried about parking. (even though the spokesman from Rock n roll said there was more parking than any other race, I know better, all the parking was also for NFR (oh, National Finals Rodeo,) and all the other people here for things other than the marathon.) Traffic was crazy, but I was able to back road it and find a great spot. As I entered the hotel, It was right around 5:30 and I decided to use a real bathroom while I could. I wasnt the only one. That took 1/2 hr easy. I thought I had PLENTY of time. The bag check took 20 mins or so and by the time I turned to get to my coral I just caught a glimpse of The Flying Elvi skydivers landing with the flag during God Bless America (only in Vegas, Right!) Then came the National Anthem. I thought oh crap, I'm late!

So I, along with THOUSANDS of other runners, started *trying* to jog to our corrals. Only to get bottle nosed into one lane. It must have taken 10 mins to to make it to the corral line up.

I then realized," this is only like corral 8. I'm 26. So, I started walking BACK, BAck, back.

About 1/2 a mile! I couldn't even hear the speakers anymore. I was so far back, I didn't even hear the gun. Then the sun started to come up and the firework show began. It lasted, they say, 15 minutes. It seemed longer and gave us something to look at while waiting to get to the Start Line. It was cool. The gun went off at 6:15 and I finally made it to the start line at 7 am! No joke! I was not expecting a wait like that. It was great though. Calmed me down. When I got to the Start line, I stopped and took some photos. I just wanted to enjoy the moment. I knew the clock wouldn't start till after I crossed the line.

There was a stage that crossed over the top of the start line with a great blues band jammin and on either side were Siegfried and Roy's white tigers and their handlers and showgirls. I took my pics, took one last look and said, "Okay, lets go."

We headed S. on LV Blvd. "The Strip," for about 3/4 mile and did a u turn by the famous "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign (you know the one.) There was another band rocking there. Oh, lets back up a bit. At about the 1/2 mile there were bathrooms and I needed one. The lines were already crazy, so I thought that I would catch it on the way back. Besides, I wanted to still watch the guy who was just ahead of me running the race while juggling five balls. Yes, while weaving in and out. (you can see now why it was surreal. I have pictures.)

I made the u-turn, stopped by the bathroom, which still took 5 minutes. I timed it. By the time I made it back to the start line. (only at 1 1/4 mile or 1 1/2 or so,) the elites were already back at the finish for the 1/2! I was watching them zoom past! AMAZING!!!

It was kind of annoying weaving in and out of traffic. I could barely run because of so many walkers. I'll def move up some corrals because of this next time. It was like this for most of the race. 28,000 runners. 8,500 in the full and 19,500 in the half. It finally thinned out in the last 5.

Also. my stomach was growling. Not because I was hungry so much as it was normal breakfast time. Thank God for Sports Beans. I started those at mile 6. It was mental more than anything.

I also had a little trouble with my gymboss the first mile. It quit working. I almost panicked. I was depending on it for my ratios. 1:1 run/walk. I realized I accidentally pushed something and got it going again. It's interesting trying to fiddle with electronics, text and talk on the phone while running! I did the other two trying to make sure I saw my friends and family on the course.

It was fun watching all the crazies in their Elvis costumes, Santa costumes, wonder woman ect. ect. At the 5k mark was the "run through" wedding chapel. 80 couples got married and renewed vows. Most brides wore veils and one groom wore Styrofoam cups trailing with yarn. I liked running by him. It sounded like wind chimes. Peaceful.

I was surprised at how fast the 10k came. That's where my friend Danielle was camped at to see me. It was GREAT to see her. So many people had buddies. I felt like the only loner and found myself talking to myself a few times. I stopped and hugged her and took some photos with her. It was fun. I wished I had her bring a snack! I, told her I'd see her in fifteen minutes. (She was near the Stratosphere.) I thought she was nearer to the next u- turn. Nope. These were the longest 2 1/2 miles of the race. I saw the 7 mile sign, but missed the 8 mile sign. I forgot that the uturn was a left, left,left, right, right, left. diagonal. It seemed to go forever. I stopped and gave her one more hug and thanked her for coming and we both left.

It was freezing btw. 30 around start. I think the warmest it got was 40 or so. I ALMOST wore tank top and shorts and I at the last minute put on technical pants and a long sleeve tech shirt. THANK GOD! I prob would have quit. I still had a sore throat and wasn't well yet. *ATTN* TMI AHEAD!!!: (Snot rockets and Lugies galore.)

After I left Danielle, I was a little sad. It was just short of mile 9. I think the whole magnitude of the situation was on me. All the training and that's it DONE. I know there's more to come. Never my first 1/2 though. Just after mile 11, the full breaks off and I heard a groom tell his bride jokingly, "One last chance." He was talking about the chance to go on the full. This was when I was my tiredest and it made me laugh at the impossibility of doubling up on this day. I was over my sadness.

I stopped for water at every stop because my throat was so dry. I thought they should have had more water stops. I don't know if thats the sore throat talking or not. I know that I DON"T like cytomax. Ick. That was also on the course. I do wish I would have remembered to drink some after for recovery. I forgot and am sore today because of it. Not to bad though. My knees are very sore though. I thinks it's because I didn't run for a week and 1/2 before.

Miles 10 and 11, as I said before, were tiring I think from being up so early, adrenaline wearing down and not feeling 100% It was weird though. The landmarks *look* so far away. Like being at Circus Circus and looking south toward the Mirage. 1 mile apart. It looks sooo far and then next thing you know, you are there. I even took a pic of the Mirage as I was running by. Then I made it to Ceasears, The Bellagio, City Center, Monte Carlo, NY/NY respectively. Then Home sweet home. The rest of he Circus properties. Excalibur, Luxor and then MANDALAY BAY!!!! I was home.

My dad, son (DH was home sick,) Grandparents and to dear friends were at the finish. About 10 yards north of the line. I stopped and took more pics and my friend lifted DS Joey (training partner) over the fence with me so he could finish with me. He cartwheeled over the finish line. He's rad. ( And has watched too many Iron Man's on tv!)

When we were walking through getting water and bananas, Joey wasn't speaking. After about 5 mins he said, "Your amazing mom." That was it. It made my day! We took our medal picture and reunited with family and friends Lisa and Christine.

My grandma said I looked strong and so many look utterly exhausted. I felt strong. My dad thought I looked great. I was glowing inside and out.

So surreal.

Vegas Baby, yea!

weight.png