Health Discovery Network
PadreC

Runner's Thread ~December~

I forgot this.... (yes, I know what else could there be!) lol. There were 10 bands on the 1/2 and 20 bands on the full and a concert at the finish line. Cool.

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

Great report, fitter! Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

I took the weekend off with my pulled whatever. My current thought is that it's a tendon but it could be a ligament. I think I've ruled out muscle tear. Anyway, went on a 5 mile walk yesterday and it was okay. Then had to haul furniture and boxes for 4 hours helping my sister move back into her house (the ex moved out). Today was a 1hr spin class. Tomorrow I will attempt the intense interval class. I've been hesitant to do quick rotations and high impact stuff but I can always lower the intensity if I feel anything pulling. Thursday will likely have to be another round in the spin room, unless I don't detect anything tomorrow and diagnose myself as recovered enough to attempt running again!

Jack- I hope you're feeling better. I'm convinced I had that "cosine" flu twice (in both mutations). No wonder I hate math!! :bcb_grin

Kristi- Congrats again!

Kimberley

Nice work Fitter! I always like reading race write ups.

Easy 6 for me today @ 8:30 m/miles. 5k on saturday. I don't think I've got the speed yet but I'm going to go for a sub 20 time. We'll see.

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

Amazing Fitter. I can feel what your son might have been feeling when he wasn't speaking. I bet he was overwhelmed with pride! :bcb_up Like I am right now!

MO#83

Been away from the boards, but still running, anyway, as well as I can. It seems it is taking me longer and longer to recover from any injury I sustain.

I fell off my horse in October right onto the jump poles and hit both poles with the inside of my left foot. And broke both the jump poles. (Man, I gotta lose some weight!) The inside of my foot looked just a wonderful purple and many shades to boot. I could not walk, let alone run anywhere.

The next week I went to a horse show, did not compete, was stung by a bee, and my arm swelled up the size of, well, really big.

A few weeks later I did a horse show, was doing the cross country jumps, all was going well, got over jumps 1-5, and we were cantering away to the next jump when all of a sudden I am on the ground watching my horse run like she's never run before back to the trailer! The jump judges said she just stopped, turned and high tailed it out of there. I hit my head really hard (hence the reason we wear helmets). I bruised my right arm, but don't know how I did it since I was told I fell on my left side.

As I was being driven back to the trailer to find my horse, I mentioned that my head really hurt, so the driver made a U-turn to the EMTs on call. I got checked out and all was well. Except that I had no horse.

Anyway, I've recovered, ran a Turkey Trot Cross Country a few weeks ago.

That's my life, in a nutshell. Fortunately, no more horse shows until the spring.

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Bella%2Band%2BI%2BIntro%2BA.jpg

Wound up spinning on Wednesday. The weather was too bad to make it down south.

Today was spin again. I'm getting tired of spin classes though I pushed myself into the *ground* today. I thought I worked hard on Tuesday but Wednesday proved that wrong. Today took the cake!

Tomorrow I'm going to take an interval weights & cardio class. It's off the schedule until the new year so I'll go wish the teacher a merry Christmas!

Kristi- Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Liz- :welcome: back. You've had a rough go of it buddy! :bcb_huh:

Kimberley

Yesterday ran for 40 minutes on TM. This weekend is very busy, but I do have a riding lesson on Sunday. Wish me luck! Ha ha. :bcb_worry

Fitter Girl, Great job! I still can't get motivated or find the time to train for longer runs than 5Ks. I think that's my limit! Congratulations to you.

Thank for the welcome.:salut

Liz

The Dressage Queen

This weekend is very busy, but I do have a riding lesson on Sunday. Wish me luck! Ha ha. :bcb_worry

What do you do if you are riding a horse as fast as you can, there's a giraffe striding along right beside you and a lion is chasing you?

Get your drunk *ss off the merry-go-round.

That's as close as I get to any horse business. Haven't ridden one of those beasts since I was 12 and judging by your recent travails, the correct decision.

Hey, I was able to run 3 miles on the dreadmill this morning. I sat out a whole week with the flu but now I'm feeling well enough to get back into it. I was going to run 15K on Sunday and missing a whole week of training might make a difference. Then again, not missing any training for the whole year until now might make it OK.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Easy 4 today. 5k tomorrow, one of my goals before I turn 30 on tuesday is to run a sub 20 5k. The likelihood of me doing this tomorrow is small but I'm gonna go for it and see what happens. If anything I'll use it as my base line for next years races.

The elf costume should be a crowd pleaser.

Running Log

A couple of notes before we get started:

• I didn't stop for water.
  • Previous 5k pr set thanksgiving 2008 @ 21:20
  • I had a goal to run a sub 20 5k this year.
  • This was my only legitimate attempt at said sub 20. I've been doing pace runs but no shorter intervals or significant speed work.
  • The plan was to run as hard as I could and see what happened.

d83f080a-5357-45f7-ae93-769090fbd463.Medium.jpg

So last night I watched Lord of the Rings for a little inspiration. I ate Lamis bread for breakfast and was hoping for a little Elven magic.

Finished in 20:37. PR by 43 seconds.

Like I figured the speed just wasn't there but I'm happy with my progress over the past year. I'll hit sub 20 soon enough.

hmmm...let me know if that pic doesn't show up. I hot linked from runner's world and it looks like it actually worked.

Running Log

Hit the TM at the gym this afternoon. I never do well with afternoon runs but DH was at a church service all morning. I could feel my calf muscle, knees and then my back started to go out because I've had a sour stomach for the past few days. Am I done complaining? Anyway, I did 8 miles in 90 minutes today-- combination of running and walking.

Nick- LOVE the elf costume! Sorry you didn't make your goal.

Kimberley

Finished in 20:37. PR by 43 seconds.

I'll hit sub 20 soon enough.

It'll come shortly. With your climate the winter is probably the best time to go for it. Maybe late Feb, early Mar. I never did break 20 minutes but I was running for at least 5 years before I reached 20:something. I ran my best times between age 35-41.

Love the costume, Nick! :bcb_grin

Dressage, maybe karma is telling you to not ride horses! :bcb_happy

Status quo here, no running. I've increased distance when walking, but it's just not the same.

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Nick, Good job on the run. The costume is great!

I participated in a Halloween Horse show and my horse and I dressed up as opera divas. Too funny. My coach just about lost it when she saw the costume. This was pre-fall of the day.

Horrible weather here today; cloudy, rainy and cold. I'll have to force myself to get on the TM today.

As riders, we just tally it up to another day on a horse. Tomorrow will be better!

Liz

The Dressage Queen

I had planned on running a 15K race this morning, but after a week with the flu I decided it wasn't such a great idea. I did just 3 miles instead and held my pace to something reasonable, 3 miles in 31:48 (10:36/mile). Tell ya what, that certainly clears out the sinuses.

A couple of notes before we get started:

• I didn't stop for water.

You don't stop for it, you learn to drink on the run. There's a trick to that as well. As you grab a water cup, curl in your fingers like making a fist, but only one or two fingers. Don't crush the whole cup, just the top. That gives you a small opening and allows you to get some in you without spilling it down your shirt. You'll see everyone try to gulp and then toss it aside within 20 yards. That means they really didn't get any or they got a mouthful, then started to choke and spit it out. With your small spout you can take very small sips and hang on to it until you get a couple ounces in you and then toss it aside.

This is, of course, totally spoiled if they use plastics cups that crack when you pinch them instead of paper that folds well when crushed.

You don't stop for it, you learn to drink on the run. There's a trick to that as well. As you grab a water cup, curl in your fingers like making a fist, but only one or two fingers. Don't crush the whole cup, just the top. That gives you a small opening and allows you to get some in you without spilling it down your shirt. You'll see everyone try to gulp and then toss it aside within 20 yards. That means they really didn't get any or they got a mouthful, then started to choke and spit it out. With your small spout you can take very small sips and hang on to it until you get a couple ounces in you and then toss it aside.

This is, of course, totally spoiled if they use plastics cups that crack when you pinch them instead of paper that folds well when crushed.

I remember you posted that a long time ago and I'm pleased to tell you I use that for every time I need water on the course. Truth is that bullet is in there cuz it's a copy and paste from Runner's world. I was poking fun at a guy that ran a sub 20 the other week AND stopped for water.

Running Log

Easy 3 today @ 9 m/mile pace. I felt pretty good. My right leg is a little tight from the speed on saturday and the hammies a little tender but that's what I love about a 5k. Easy recovery.

Running Log