Health Discovery Network
PadreC

Runner's Thread ~December~

12 mile run this morning. You guys know my favourite is running in 30-40F weather with cloudy skies so it came up cherries for me this morning!! However, my back went out by the 2nd mile and I had to stretch a bit and take the pace down for a while. I literally hobbled from my back door to the living room to try to stretch things out between my back spasm and aching knees. I'm tired of getting old and watching things break down. I'm ready for my bionic body!! :bcb_up

Kimberley

Happy 30th Birthday Nick!! (Have I covered all the bases?! :bcb_wink3 ) So, does this put you in a new running age bracket? :bcb_huh: I should go gentle on you today since I'm fairly sensitive whenever I hit the round numbers. Didn't handle 20 *or* 30 well. I guess I have a few years to prepare myself to handle 40 with grace!! :bcb_grin

Plan today is around an hour and a half of spin, followed by an hour of yoga. My back and knees still very tender. Not ready to give up on marathon training yet. I'm convinced it's just an inflammation response to all the viruses my body is attempting to recover from. I've got a resurgence of my old 5th disease rash which only comes out under times of immune stress.

Kimberley

6.8 miles today in 1:02, I think I did a little bit more than that but who's counting.

Um...30. yes I move to a new age bracket and for the next 5 years my age bracket will be a little bit less competitive until I hit 35 and then it picks up again- go figure. For instance the 5k I ran on sat I placed 7th in my age group and if I were 3 days older I would have placed 2nd.

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

Um...30. yes I move to a new age bracket and for the next 5 years my age bracket will be a little bit less competitive until I hit 35 and then it picks up again- go figure.

That doesn't sound right. The baby bust, i.e. low birth rates due to post war baby boomers postponing having children, bottomed out between 1971 and 76 and then rose steadily until 1990. So there should be fewer competitors in the 35-39 bracket. Maybe it's just a local phenomenon.

BTW, birth rates in the past 10 years are far lower than even the "baby bust" of the 70s, but because of a much higher population, the absolute numbers are greater. The totals are still lower than most years of the baby boom though.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Ran for 40 minutes on TM yesterday.

Today, strength training.

Happy Birthday, Nick.

I was 60 in June, thinking I could beat all the "old" people, but I forgot that there are many people in my age group who also had their 60th birthdays. Can't get a break! Go figure. :bcb_happy

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Bella%2Band%2BI%2BIntro%2BA.jpg

1hr intense interval cardio & weights class at the gym today!

Tomorrow is 75 minutes in the spin room.

I'll be back Friday to post the plan. We'd like to run but the windchill is in the negative temperatures and there's ice on the sidewalks so we may stay indoors!

Kimberley

Did strength training and a little bit of cardio today. Not a hard day, but I do feel better just by getting some activity in.

Did not make it to the gym yesterday;went to court with my boss and clients, then to lunch.

Liz

The Dressage Queen

I've been running on the dreadmill all week, 3-4 miles each day. Don't know what I'll do for my long run this weekend. I never go beyond 4 miles in the mill, it's so boring.

I close out the last 1/4 mile of each workout barefoot to see what all the barefooting hype is all about. It certainly does make you land and lift off differently. I find that if I run too slowly, say 4mph, a heel strike occasionally makes the belt slip, like I'm pushing against the movement of the belt. I don't feel that with the shoes on. It makes you adjust your stride a bit. Whether that's good or bad will take time to determine.

I've also gotten back into doing my pushups, got up to 160 today. Four sets of 30, then 40 for the 5th set. I still can't do a single pull-up though. I get almost all the way up, but not quite.

Off to do 70 minutes in the spin room this morning. I think that I'll run to my parents' tomorrow afternoon-- might take the 7 mile loop since the sidewalks will be clearer that way! Monday is interval boxing!!

Kimberley

My brother in law ran a 50k today. About 31 miles in some of the worst weather I can imagine. Rainy with wind of 30 mph and gust of much higher. Parts of the train were knee deep in water and the whole thing was mud pit. He finished in 6 hours flat, an impressive time period and a great time for the conditions.

I worked an aid station which was a really fun experience. I like being able to cheer runners on, fill up bottles and get nutrition in them. Each runner passed our station 6 times. I had a really good time, learned some stuff and got to cheer on my brother in law.

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

Wound up going on a 5 mile family walk yesterday. Today I hope to get in a 10 mile run with my buddy later this morning (depending on how much time we have). Tomorrow will be 75 minutes in the spin room! I think Wednesday will be another run and Thursday will be a Christmas spin!!

Nick- That's crazy insane!! I've had my eye on the 35 mile hike in PA on the Rachel Carlson trail on the summer solstice. At the same time on a different part of the trail, they have a 50 mile ultra marathon!!

Kimberley

I'm running very slowly these days, but keeping the mileage up. I was laid low by the swine flu for a week but came right back to about 4 miles a day on my treadmill. It's been too cold outside lately. Just 20 miles more and I will top 1,200 for the year, my highest annual mileage sine 1990 which was the year before the aortic valve replacement.

Halfway through this morning's run I passed 33,000 miles lifetime. (BTW: The circumference of Earth is 24,901.6 miles at mean sea level on the equator.) I've been keeping a running log since 1978 so that represents roughly 1100 miles per year for 32 years. I had run about 15,000 miles prior to the open heart surgery and 18,000 since. Far more with the artificial valve than without.

Merry Christmas Buddies! I'm off for a week and I miss birthdays and everything! Happy Birthday Nick!

I've made my decision. With a little help from DH. I'll do another 1/2 in March. I start training again 12/26. It's a little unsettling that people die. We lost someone here in the 1/2. That's helping my choice. I know the stats are crazy. Whatever. When I get to goal, I'll reconsider the full. DH, at this time, is not down with the full. I told him that interval running is safe. HR never gets crazy.

On a lighter note. I told DS 7/training partner we are starting up again the day after Christmas he said, "Can we wait till new year?" Funny!

And for way back on the board. I read something about 35 being the median age of a first time marathoner. Maybe that's what's up with the age group thing. My first 1/2, 35!

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

Monday wound up being a 5 mile run & 2 mile walk.

Tuesday was 75 minutes in the spin room.

Wednesday was 1hr in the spin room.

Thursday was 75 minutes in the spin room.

Tomorrow will either be a rest day or a 6.5 mile run to my parents' house, depending on the weather.

Saturday is supposed to be a 14 mile run with my cousin but if the weather is too bad, I'll do an hour in the spin room with my buddy before we drive up to my aunt's!!

Kristi- I'll be 36 when my buddy & I run the full marathon in May. I am going to get super :bcbkickbu about losing the weight I've regained over the next few months. I'm convinced part of the reason why my knees are hurting more is that I'm over 10lbs above my lowest weight. I may still be within range of the max for my height but I can feel those extra pounds. It wouldn't be pleasant to run carrying two 5lb weights so why shouldn't it be harder for me to run now heavier than it was when I was lighter?!

Kimberley

Everyone, Hdave a wonderful Christmas celebration.:bcb_wink3

I'm off work until the new year, and I will have to make sure I schedule myself for the treadmill until the roads are clear enough that I can run outside. However, I am a chicken when it comes to cold, so maybe I'll just stick to the treadmill. Ugh!

DD was supposed to go to Uruguay, but the winter storm canceled her trip. She opted, instead, to go to Georgia with "the boyfriend". He is a nice guy, and his name is Nick, but I like calling him "the boyfriend". HA!

Enjoy your day and have a good new year's celebration, as well.

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Christmas was a rest day as I forgot I couldn't run to my parents since DH lost his license (had an epileptic seizure at home earlier this month).

Yesterday wound up being a 9 mile run with my buddy.

Today I'm running 9 miles by myself.

Monday is 1hr interval boxing

Tuesday is 75 minutes in the spin room.

Wednesday I'm hoping we'll get out there and run at least 13 miles depending on weather and how we're feeling!!

Thursday is 75 minutes in the spin room

Friday is up in the air since my buddy is having us over with her family for a New Year's Day party so we'll either do an early run, I'll run by myself or we'll take the day off!

Kimberley

Ran on TM on Saturday for about 30 minutes:bcb_grin; yesterday was a riding lesson. Weather was great - sun was out and the temp was in the 4os and no snow in the ring. Couldn't ask for more than that. Oh, I didn't fall off!

Today - who knows! We are have a belated Christmas dinner tomorrow, so I have to prep for that today.

Liz

The Dressage Queen

I was able to run outside the past two days, temp was 40ish but today it was down to 10F so I was back on the dreadmill in the basement. My log is at 1197 miles so just 3 more and I'm entitled to a rest day.

Since I don't plan on running tomorrow, here's my year end wrap-up. I've put it all in a few previous posts but here it is all together. 09 has been a banner year for me topping a banner year in 08.

I ended the year with 1200 miles, the highest total since 1990, the year before my aortic valve replacement. That brings my lifetime total to over 33,000 miles (1.3 times around the virtual globe).

I ran 33 races in 2009 from 800 meters to 10 miles. The most in any prior year was 24 and that doesn't even count the 10 shot put events at various T&F meets.

I had an all-time best throw in the shot put and for a very short time was nationally ranked in the Men's 60-64 top 50. Ended up at #141 in shot put and #91 at 800 meters.

I finished in the top 10 of my age group in the local road runner's club grand prix series. The first time I even appeared in the standings.

A 1 mile time of 8:00 was my best since 1999. 5K of 27:25 best since 1995 and 15K of 1:36:06 the best since 1996 and since turning 60 have accumulated a wall full of trophies.

2009trophies.jpg

Staying on track with the posted plan, except it was the spin room AGAIN this morning as it's coated with ice and snow and it's cold out there. I think it will stay that way for a while. My buddy & I are resigning ourselves to indoor TM marathon training for the next few weeks!!

Jack- I have to respect the wall!! I'm the antithesis of a pack rat so all those medals would be in the garbage as soon as I got home. I haven't kept anything my kids have gotten for dance or sports. I'm actually less inclined to register for races because of the stuff (gotta love the tshirts though, can't have enough of them-- unless they're some of the colours you've been getting this year!! :ugh: )!!

Kimberley

I'm actually less inclined to register for races because of the stuff (gotta love the tshirts though, can't have enough of them-- unless they're some of the colours you've been getting this year!! :ugh: )!!

You're probably remembering the lime green one with orange flames but that was last year. In 09 I only showed you the two orange shirts but never posted the neon yellow one. It's a bit less offensive, but only slightly so. Back in the 80s those colors were all the rage but then so were a lot of wild fashions. Do you recall Denny Terrio and Dance Fever? Sequined headbands, leg warmers, bright blue tights and they weren't just on the girls.

Speaking of indoor exercises, I'm also getting up there with the pushups. I did over 200 this morning, the last set was 55 in a row. That may be, but I'm not too sure, the most consecutive PUs I've ever done in my lifetime. Friday I'll go for 60.