Health Discovery Network
ctbeagles

1/2 A Point For Something?

I am just restarting WW after a long absence. I'm using 33 points daily right now and have to say the half point thing is very irritating to me. I use pen and paper in my 3 month journal and do the adding and subtracting mentally. I'm just curious about how people handle half points. When do you decide something is not the whole number point? Does it make or break success for people?

~Shannon~267.4/267.4/177~Re-started WW 12/2/2009~

**************Working on 5%!!!**************

weight.png

Interesting. The points calculators I use don't count half points.

I would guess not to worry about it. Count it as the lower number unless you are getting a lot of them.

I count half points and if the point count registers as more than 1.5, I round it up to 2 points. I can explain why best by example as follows:

Each morning when I first get up, I blend 1/2 a small banana in 1 c ff milk (it's a blood sugar thing). Point count is 2.5 points as a small banana is 1 point. Since I have the other half-banana in milk in the afternoon, that means the banana accounts for 1 point per day or 30/31 points per month....a substantial amount of points, I'd say.

Does it really matter in the long run? I don't know.....I just think that in a year's time, that 365 points could matter. If it doesn't, I haven't lost anything.....if it does matter, then I feel good about doing the doing the program accurately.

I suspect it's just a matter of personal preference. When I'm in a hurry I split my 40 minutes of morning treadclimber exercise into 2 20-minute sessions, 1 in a.m. and 1 in p.m. 40 mins. treadclimber usually = 3 APs, but the two 20 minute sessions = 1 AP each. So I take the lower count because that's how it works out.....again, it probably doesn't make a big difference but I feel better for being honest with myself and not playing numbers games with points. And there you have it......no solution.

"I am pieces of all the places I have been,
and the people I have loved......"

– Brooke Hampton

I agree I would count the banana as a whole because in my mind I ate the whole banana. I always try to over estimate food or under estimate my exercise.

I use a spreadsheet that does all my math for me, and use the exact formula to do it, so there are a lot of decimals involved. "(C/50) + (F/12) – (R/5). C is calories, F is grams of fat, and R is grams of fiber." It gives me more precise numbers, so I really know exactly how many points or partial point I have left over. If the half points really bother you though, I would round them up, not down to overestimate rather then underestimate them.

Deb ~ Every day has potential to be a success! ~

:bcbkickbuMini-goal #15 - Lose 60 pounds

counter-weight.jpg

Down 56.3 lbs, 3.7 lbs to go

Guest LeeBeeJeebies

I was originally told that there are NO half points allowed...that you should just round up (or use your discretion). So I never, never, never use half points...

...but then, on eTools (at the WW website), they count half points all the time if you use the online tracker.

Hmmmm...

When I am in lose mode, I only get 18 points per day so I do consider half points... for example, if 2 slices of ff cheese = 1 pt. and I only eat 1, then I count it as 1/2 point

Lifetimer for life!

wecanbegintofeed.blogspot.com