Health Discovery Network
soya

Controlling Cravings and Unplanned Eating

Hello Buddies!

I am doing well. Another day off the sugar!

I am happy b/c it seems to be something that I am just accepting now, rather than thinking about. I still have moments during which I will look at a display of some "nice" junk and wish I could have it, but that has always happened. Not it just seems so far away from reality.

I have been eating a date every day... low glycemic index and GI Load. I spent a bunch of time this morning re-reading Glycemic Index and GI Load info. It seem integrally related to migraines/hypoglycemia. The more I know, the more inspired I am to stay off of the sugar!

Cheers!

weight.png

weight.png

Hello Folks,

Today I have a staff meeting... a place where I often go off plan, or really struggle to stay on plan. People bring snacks, and some departments really go overboard! I have decided to stay away from that room, and just bring my own snacks to the meeting room... even if I don't eat sugar, I still might grab salty, high point things. I brought carrots, celery sticks and baba ganouj.

I feel committed to not eating sweets, especially since my migraines have stayed away significantly in the last two weeks. Even though I would be sad to not partake, if it meant no migraines I would seriously be committed!

The glycemic load information is very interesting, and I might use it to modify my intake of sweet things in the future. For example, agave nectar has a nice low rate of entering the bloodstream. So do dates. Apples are great. Baked potatoes not so much.

I am actually feeling relieved that I am not experiencing crazy sugar cravings. I remember writing that I was afraid of my cravings... b/c they seemed so uncontrollable! Now, I am out of their throes I feel much better, and less controlled by them. I see that sugar is really an addiction.

Cheers!

weight.png

weight.png

That's great, Soya. No migraines must be wonderful for you.:salut

I'm trying to think of priorities, and getting 100% OP is first for me. Gotta' get that nailed down.

Sugar will be down on the list for me.

But thanks for getting me to think about it! :bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Hi Folks,

Well, I am still doing it. I feel like a living example that it is possible to not eat sugar... I rarely meet anyone who doesn't, though I know people who swear that it holds no draw for them... lucky ducks!

Still no migraines... I am curious as to whether the TOM will bring on a migraine... it is usually the worst time. This week sometime should tell.

I have had some cravings, and noticed some rationalizations around DH's wheat cookies, which I like. I didn't have any, though. I am committed through mid-February.

Okay!

Off I go.

weight.png

weight.png

Hello All,

So, i am noticing that despite the fact that I am still not eating sugar/ sweeteners, I am still giving in to some cravings and doing some emotional eating. Obviously, I can't get into that much trouble doing SiFi and not eating sweets, but the instinct is still there to EAT when bored, stressed, after work, at meetings. It is either just habitual or emotional. I have been so focused on sweets that some other stuff slips through the cracks.

I need to turn my focus to really staying on plan if I want to get back to goal and stay at goal! So, I am going to try to employ my "Beck" techniques on anything non-core!

Notice when I am hungry. Only eat then.

Notice when I am full. Stop eating. (aka mindful eating)

Identify cravings as cravings. Get away from them physically if possible.

Also, try not to fantasize about food... turn my thoughts to something else.

Do neg. ff and positive fast forwards.

Okay!

Off I go.

weight.png

weight.png

Hello Buddies,

I did fine today. The cravings were less, and I identified a craving and went and distracted myself. I think that the hormonal thing is really big in regards to the cravings.

I am looking forward to seeing a loss when the TOM water retention has gone.

I was remembering a few times during which I spent my whole daily experience stressing about whether to eat sweets or not, and thinking about the next time I could get some sweets and then feeling guilty or bad b/c of the sweets I had eaten. Like any vacations or outings, parties, and trips downtown were usually pervaded with this kind of internal drama. Also, going to visit my family was the same...

I was feeling relieved to know that I CAN stop eating sugar/sweeteners and can choose to be free of the obsession.

Cheers!

weight.png

weight.png

Soya- Keep up the great work!!

Carol- I need to focus on getting 100% OP. However, I simply can't do that with sugar around. I have some, it triggers me to want more, I have too much. I can stay OP without any problems at all when I don't have sugar. I just can't stay off the sugar. I don't know how much of it is me feeling locked into a commitment I shouldn't make and how much is not actually believing I've made the commitment so I allow myself off the hook. It's a vicious circle because if I tell myself no sweets for X days, then I panic, feel demoralized like I can't do it and just jump off the sweet cliff. But if I don't make any kind of real commitment, I have no grounding. I'm not sure what to do!!!!

Kimberley

Hello All!

Kim: I know that feeling. I have decided to skip sugar completely many times, and then slip back into eating it. I think that being "ready" for the commitment is really important, just like being ready to diet is a big component of one's success at dieting. What are you thinking when you decide to eat sweets despite your decision not to? Those Beck cognitive therapy "thinking activities" have really helped me resist.

Also, remember that if you are eating regular sweets, the physical detox is reported to make some people feel low/anxious/demoralized... I noticed that those feelings have faded for me, as I have been off the sugar longer.

Also, somebuddy pointed out to me that I would probably find "replacements" for the sugar if I stopped eating it. Sure is true, I have started to eat other things in place of sweet treats... not off plan, but I noticed that if I still eat everytime I have the urge, I will be taking in too much food. Getting rid of sugar is not the only answer, I think.

Well, I made a good plan, and am sticking to it today. After re-reading some Beck this morning, I focused on the idea that I don't have to eat every time I feel an urge or hunger. She points out that overweight people often panic when hungry, or anticipate being hungry later so end up eating more in general. I have always panicked when hungry b/c I know that I could end up with a migraine as a result. But with no sugar, I have had almost no migraines! Perhaps I can stop panicking at hunger.

I have been justifying eating some pita with tahini at night, twice with a date. I had the points, but I know that this kind of eating is the same amount of calories as eating something sweet: which means that it won't equal weight loss. ARg.

On guard against cravings,

Soya

weight.png

weight.png