Health Discovery Network
dakotamidnight

Can't do Dairy - Ideas?

I've been trying to get my recommended 3 servings of dairy in for WW, and it is just not working. Milk isn't working, no cottage cheese, yogurt either. I tolerate solid cheese slightly better, but it still gets me if I have a lot.

I can do about a serving and a half every other day before I get sick from it. Lactose free didn't help either.

Any ideas?

FWIW calcium supplements do the same thing - sick within 3 doses.

DD

Starting again in 2010!

HW:293.6

CW:286.6

10% GW: 264.3

weight.png

What about soy or goat milk. Does it cause the same reaction? Have you talked to the doctor about it?

Never give up or look back,

:exercise: Mickee :exercise:

weight.png

HW: 238

WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

What about soy or goat milk. Does it cause the same reaction? Have you talked to the doctor about it?

Can't do soy due to allergy. Goat's milk I haven't tried really as it's hard to get here.

I mentioned it to my doctor a while back who's only advice was to avoid milk products.

DD

Starting again in 2010!

HW:293.6

CW:286.6

10% GW: 264.3

weight.png

oh sorry. I figured the doc would have a better answer than that. UGH!!! Maybe someone else has a better idea. Calcium supplements???

Never give up or look back,

:exercise: Mickee :exercise:

weight.png

HW: 238

WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

If you can't do dairy, you can't do dairy. WWers does realize that there are people who can't tolerate it. You just need to try to get the nutrients from milk products elsewhere, from other foods. And so what if you can't check off the boxes for milk servings.

Here is some information from the staff materials for WWers.

If members cannot tolerate milk or yogurt, then they can try the following:

• Eat aged hard cheese (e.g., Swiss or cheddar), since more than half the lactose is removed by the aging process (generally, the longer the cheese is aged, the lower the lactose content).

o The most important feature is not simply that the cheese is hard, but that it be aged.

o Some soft cheeses, like cottage and ricotta, contain higher amounts of lactose and may not be tolerated as well. Choosing low-fat or nonfat hard cheese saves both calories and fat.

• Choose calcium-fortified foods such as orange juice, cereal or bread.

• Include other good sources of calcium in their meals, such as tofu processed with calcium sulfate, canned sardines or salmon with bones, and some leafy green vegetables (e.g., broccoli, okra, kale, turnip greens).

• Though dry beans and other leafy greens, including spinach, chard and beet greens, have considerable calcium content, they also contain substances that interfere with calcium absorption, so they are not as good a source of this mineral.

Members who do not eat the recommended amount of milk products or cannot tolerate dairy foods should consider taking a calcium supplement.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

I substitute Almond milk with calcium added for my cereal. Total cereal has calcium added. I do purchase goats milk from and amish family. It's delish! I also use oj with calcium in my fruit smoothies.

DD, I have a lot of food allergies, dairy including cheese, soy, wheat, oats, barley, rye, citrus ect. That pretty much eliminates getting my calcium through food so I take a calcium supplement.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%