Health Discovery Network
fairfight

Newbie needs to hear your success stories and advice for SF!

Hi all... I posted a similar thing under "Newbie Questions", but it was suggested I post a new thread to broaden discussion so I figured I'd expand a little and maybe it'd help other new types like me.

I am new to all of this, but I have tried 3 diets in the past year and either they didn't work (low carb) or I gained weight right after because I felt so deprived. The idea of tracking and measuring sent a chill through me so when I read about SF I was really excited and inspired. I started this on Jan. 4th...

My questions... I know the focus can't be on how much we lose each week, but a part of me is concerned that I wont lose at all on this because I"m eating too much. When I add up the points each day if I were doing this under regular momentum I'd be about `10 points over per day on average. Should I be worried? I am stopping when I am full for the most part (messed up on some pudding after dinner the other night lol).

Can you veterans give some examples of your success with this program and maybe some of your earlier doubts and fears? I have also included a sample menu from one of my days and would love feedback on if it seems excessive.

Questioin.... when I look up most spray butters and ff margarine's on the tracker they count as points, but the literature seems to say we can have any ff margarine or spray and not count, insight on this??? I've been using I can't Believe Its Not Butter Spray on my veggies but want to make sure its ok.

Thanks!

Sample Day:

Oatmeal w/ banana

coffee w/ fat free milk

chicken breast (2 small)

brussel sprouts (1 small bag) w/ I can't believe it's not butter spray

Apple

2 slices of cheese

1 1/2 cups cottage cheese w/ mandarin orange

Filet Mignon (6 oz)

sweet potatoe

diet coke

1 or 2 servings ff sf pudding

Well, sorry, not getting more responses here!!:bcb_blush

About the ICBINB...fat free margarines are not filling foods they are no count foods...meanwhile I'm not sure ICBINB is actually fat free, having 0 calories or fat grams PER SERVING is different than being fat free....hope that helps.

I think you'll find answers to your other questions by reading lots of posts/threads here!!!

OR, you might want to ask ONE question and use it as your THREAD title....so far my suggestions haven't panned out though!:bcb_wink3

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Okay, I don't personally follow SF, so I acknowledge that I'm not the best WW to respond to your post. Still, I saw this new thread on the home page and thought I'd jump in here with an outsider's observation (from someone who follows Momentum). Let me start this by saying I have great admiration for people who follow SF.

From what I personally observed over the past two years at WW meetings, people who faithfully followed SF actually lost a little more per month on average than people who faithfully followed the Momentum plan. It's not a competition or a race -- and this may not be true everywhere -- I'm just pointing out that from my direct observation, SF really does work and, for people who are able to follow it, it appears to works quite well!

Here are five qualities -- based on my observation only -- that people who are successful on SF appear to have:

1. They are extremely good at (or are willing to become extremely good at) listening to and responding to their body / hunger / fullness signals.

2. They appear to be better-than-average cooks who can be creative with recipes and food. I'm sure there are exceptions out there, but it seems to me that people who are creative with food seem to be able to find creative ways of making a SF lifestyle work.

3. They have supportive family members, especially if they live with those family members -- spouses, live-in partners, children -- under the same roof and in the same kitchen.

4. They appear to eat out more selectively and/or infrequently and/or with more-than-average planning than people who follow Momentum (or so it appears). This doesn't mean don't eat out, it just means that it is probably a good idea to learn more about how to eat out on SF from people who have figured it out.

5. They are willing to "live like this forever" - meaning that they don't see SF as a "diet" but rather as a liveable lifestyle.

If the SF lifestyle works for you and makes you "excited and inspired" as you mentioned above, you may have just found your home ... and a home forum with some really amazing people.

Best wishes to you on this journey ... and here's hoping you hear from some SF people who can speak to the details in your post.

Kos

Kos, you got the idea of SFI down pretty good.

Fairfight, it is Friday, and many people seem to get busy with life and less busy with posting. You have some good questions. Worth responding to. Don't get discouraged.

*Irene* Thin for Life: Yes!

Here is a thread about fullness/hunger that will be worth the time to read: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums//showthread.php?199548-Fullness-Levels

Another thread about choices that was started by Dr. Julie: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums//showthread.php?199548-Fullness-Levels

Thread about being interested vs committed by Lynn: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums//showthread.php?194705-Interested-vs-Committed

There is more... but I don't want to overwhelm you.

*Irene* Thin for Life: Yes!

Here is a thread about fullness/hunger that will be worth the time to read: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums//showthread.php?199548-Fullness-Levels

Another thread about choices that was started by Dr. Julie: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums//showthread.php?199548-Fullness-Levels

Thread about being interested vs committed by Lynn: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums//showthread.php?194705-Interested-vs-Committed

There is more... but I don't want to overwhelm you.

Irene accidentally posted the same link twice. I think this is the one she meant to share (and it was a good reminder for me to read, too!): http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?195377-It-s-Usually-Only-One-or-Two-Choices

I think people who are successful on SiFi are willing to do more than just change the food they eat...they are willing to dig in deep inside and perhaps look at things about themselves that aren't always pretty...to get rid of the habit of medicating with food...t

...to TRY new foods and to LEARN how to cook if they don't know how to already (instead of relying of unhealthy frankenfoods). I disagree with Kos that they necessarily start out as creative or better than average cooks. There are soooo many SiFi recipes available that all one really needs to do is have the courage to TRY the recipes and follow the directions.

I also disagree that SiFi-ers have to have supportive family members. I think what may be different is that Corebies are willing to do what is best for their own health, regardless of what others may say or do to sabotage their efforts. Hang around long enough and you'll read about how Corebies have overcome the sabotaging efforts of spouses, families, and loved ones.

Finally, I have a retro-inspired blog and this week I've been sharing what was considered healthy eating from the 1930's and 40's. With some minor tweaking (skim instead of whole milk, for example), SiFi is very much in alignment with healthy eating strategies recommended over 80 years ago. I'd say that is a pretty good track record.... Even in the 40's, we were admonished to avoid refined grains and to eat whole grains, to avoid breads, limit certain starches, etc. Perhaps we are finally coming full circle and discarding all of the test-tube foods invented in the past 50 years in favor of Mother Nature foods.

Note: I follow the Winning Points program :salut

"Can you veterans give some examples of your success with this program and maybe some of your earlier doubts and fears?"

I REALLY appreciate Kos's attempt to help out, but as someone who does not follow SiFi, I guess it isn't too surprising that I don't really agree with him all that much!:bcb_wink3

I don't think you need to be *that good* at listening to your body's cues. I realize others might disagree with me here. But eating mostly filling foods really fills you up, unlike "regular" foods. You WILL learn. It isn't that easy to overeat foods like fruits, veggies, whole grains. You get uncomfortably full and don't feel like eating for a while.

I also don't believe you need to be a creative or really good cook. It is true that there aren't too many convenient filling foods and almost no prepackaged ones, BUT filling foods are GOOD food so it isn't like it's so hard to make them taste good. Many of them taste good in their original states!

I don't think you need your family to be any more supportive than someone doing Momentum the regular way. As a matter of fact I think it's easier. It is SO easy to make meals your family will love and not even know they are foods that support your weight loss plan. NO reason to measure out your portions (assuming something has no points to count in it/all filling foods) or cook separate meals. THIS is one of the GREAT things about SiFi. Just make a big pot or whatever of all filling foods chili, pasta, etc. and eat til satisfied. Everyone is happy and you don't even have to get out a scale or a measuring cup! JUST LIKE REGULAR PEOPLE!:bcb_happy

I find eating out on SiFi at least as easy as eating out while counting points. Choose filling foods and figure some points for unknowns. I ate out tonight, grilled salmon, baked potato, sugar snap peas, salad bar at Ruby Tuesdays. No need to worry about how big the potato was or how much salmon that was. Counted a few points for some butter and the salad dressing and the sauce on the salmon. SIMPLE!

I think I pretty much agree with number 5, SiFi is a FABULOUS WAY OF LIFE that I can't imagine NOT doing. I've been doing it for over 4 years, every day. Could NEVER stick to any other "diet"...

Sorry Kos, I don't mean to pick on you and TRULY APPRECIATE your jumping in here and answering...REALLY!!!!!!:bcb_smile

I came to what was then called "core" back in June 2005 as a 45 year old woman who had a life long weight/food problem but was never terribly overweight. I had a bigger food than weight problem and had been eating low carb from before it was stylish. I had been around ww for years too, since I was a kid. I was 14 lbs over goal and slowly gaining on lowcarb....I came back to ww (a lifetime member), "tried" core, found this website, and have followed core every day since!!!! This has been the BEST "DIET" ever, truly a way of eating for LIFE....Oh yes I got back to goal in about two months. I couldn't even imagine getting back to goal, I'll admit...I can't say enough about SiFi/core...AND about this website....it really seems too good to be true, but it IS true.

Lynn

Thanks for the responses... I think the Friday thing is a good point. I will check out the posts, thanks for that!

I am a terrible cook and I eat out at least 2x a week so I'd be a bad candidate by those standards! However... the trade off for me is that it allows me to eat some of the foods I love to satistaction without points hanging over my head. Also, sugar and simple carbs are big trigger foods for me so eating those WW foods are reallly just a tease for me. So far so good. Just need to reasearch this butter thing and make sure I'm not cheating there.

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses... I think the Friday thing is a good point. I will check out the posts, thanks for that!

I am a terrible cook and I eat out at least 2x a week so I'd be a bad candidate by those standards! However... the trade off for me is that it allows me to eat some of the foods I love to satistaction without points hanging over my head. Also, sugar and simple carbs are big trigger foods for me so eating those WW foods are reallly just a tease for me. So far so good. Just need to reasearch this butter thing and make sure I'm not cheating there.

Thanks!

I think that is why Lynn and I wanted to counteract Kos' standards. I'll bet a lot of SiFi-ers would say that they were just like you when they started. And, My Honey and I eat out once a week (but I've become such a good cook that we like my food better!).

The idea of tracking and measuring sent a chill through me so when I read about SF I was really excited and inspired. I started this on Jan. 4th...

My questions... I know the focus can't be on how much we lose each week, but a part of me is concerned that I wont lose at all on this because I"m eating too much. When I add up the points each day if I were doing this under regular momentum I'd be about `10 points over per day on average. Should I be worried? I am stopping when I am full for the most part (messed up on some pudding after dinner the other night lol).

Can you veterans give some examples of your success with this program and maybe some of your earlier doubts and fears? I have also included a sample menu from one of my days and would love feedback on if it seems excessive.

Questioin.... when I look up most spray butters and ff margarine's on the tracker they count as points, but the literature seems to say we can have any ff margarine or spray and not count, insight on this??? I've been using I can't Believe Its Not Butter Spray on my veggies but want to make sure its ok.

Thanks!

Sample Day:

Oatmeal w/ banana

coffee w/ fat free milk

chicken breast (2 small)

brussel sprouts (1 small bag) w/ I can't believe it's not butter spray

Apple

2 slices of cheese

1 1/2 cups cottage cheese w/ mandarin orange

Filet Mignon (6 oz)

sweet potatoe

diet coke

1 or 2 servings ff sf pudding

I'm sorry I couldn't respond to this yesterday, but there is this 4-letter word that starts with "w" and ends with "k" that battered me about a little bit yesterday and I didn't even have time to eat properly!! That doesn't happen often, but it did yesterday and even looking at this board was not something I could do, let alone reply.

Anyway, let's get to it!! First, you have asked about our success with SiFi and also about whether you may be eating too much. I lost all of my weight on SiFi and have kept it off with SiFi. It is a way of life that works. For me, eating too much contributed more to my weight issues than what I was eating (although both were factors). Let's get specific and look at how I changed things up with one particular favorite thing. So, to take a favorite food of mine, let's look at spaghetti and meatballs. I love that and would, in my past life, eat a giant mound of this (with garlic bread, of course). When I started SiFi (then, it was Core), I simply made the plate as I usually would have. I then cut through the spaghetti and meatballs right down the middle of the plate and put half in a container for my lunch the next day. Then I put the spaghetti and meatballs on a plate and kind of focused on what that amount looked like. I purposefully did NOT measure it. I just got a mental idea of what that looked like on the plate. My theory was that if I was still hungry 15 or 20 minutes after eating that amount, then I would have a tossed salad. This worked for me, on this particular thing that I knew I overate. The most important thing is you don't have to give up your favorite foods. On this food, I also changed the bread crumbs in the meatballs to quick oats. I already was using ground turkey that fit the SiFi technique and ww pasta.

With respect to your sample day, your breakfast looks similar to some of mine. As for lunch, when you say "1 small bag" of brussels sprouts, do you mean a 10-oz bag? That is okay, but from my perspective, you have a lot of chicken and veggie, and are missing out (I think) on grains, which not only contain some protein but have a lot of fiber, will tend to "carry you over" (think of the old adage that oatmeal "sticks to your ribs"), and might make it easier to have a smaller snack. Speaking of the snack, the apple, 2 slices of cheese and 1 1/2 cups of cottage cheese with mandarin orange is more than I would have for a snack. Everyone is different, of course, and I would never say what is right or wrong for you. But you have asked for opinions, so that is mine. I think if you added some brown rice or bulgur (or even 1/2 or a whole baked potato) to your lunch and reduced the chicken to one piece, you might find a smaller snack would help. Or, try half of your snack and stop. Have a couple of big glasses of water. Then wait a half hour to see if you really feel that you need to eat more. It may take a little while to get in touch with whether you are really still hungry or your brain just thinks it hasn't had all it would like to see on a plate (that's what was happening to me with the spaghetti and meatballs!!).

Lynn has answered your question about the butter spray. I will only add that that has saved me when I really wanted garlic bread to go with this fave meal of mine. Now, I have 1/2 pita (count points), butter spray and a little garlic salt on top, and put it under the broiler for a minute (watch it, it can burn easily). Tastes great and very few points.

I hope this helps. This is a great way to live/eat and IT WORKS!!!!

Hope to see you posting more with any other questions you have, and your own success stories, small and big!!!!

Be well.

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Hello

I started core (as it was) back in October 2008, and haven't looked back! Not only did I lose weight - but I have kept it off! I have yo-yo dieted for the last 15 yrs or so, and for me this is the answer.

I have a DH & 2 children, and I find that SiFi allows the whole family to eat better. We all eat the same at dinner time, no complaints. When counting points I rely too much on pre-packaged foods (so much easier to count the points!) which are both more expensive & not as good for us.

A SiFi life requires a little more planning - the freezer is your best friend! Mine is stocked with turkey chilli (we eat it with brown rice), two types of homemade soup (broccoli & spicy chicken/bean), spaghetti sauce (again, tukey - I don't eat beef), and then basics to make a quick meal as required. For me lunch is the hardest meal as it's only me at home, I eat a lot of homemade soup!

I found that it took a couple of weeks to settle into the routine of this lifestyle, but it is now second nature. The SiFi recipe board has some amazing recipes (the flourless choc cake is amazing!), and there is no need to ever be bored.

Give it a try, count points only for the weekly / activity points & see how you go. It does work.

Good luck!

Hi Fairflight and welcome!!!

I had many many doubts that this would work - how could I eat all this great food and lose weight? It sounded absolutely crazy to me!

I started out here at BCB and read, read, read everything I could. I picked a day and decided to start - guess what? It was much easier than I thought, I did not tell my family at first and they did not even notice and the best part - I lost weight! I thought, maybe there is something to this!

I think the great thing about core/simply filling is that it does not feel like a diet - I feel this is something I can stick with for a lifetime - at least that is my hope!

Karen

I wake up every day with the realization that this is it, that there's only one shot at this life and I can either enjoy the ride and live it to its fullest and to my highest potential or I can stay the way I am.

THIS is one of the GREAT things about SiFi. Just make a big pot or whatever of all filling foods chili, pasta, etc. and eat til satisfied. Everyone is happy and you don't even have to get out a scale or a measuring cup! JUST LIKE REGULAR PEOPLE!:bcb_happy

Just like regular people! :bcb_up:bcb_grin

Good one, Lynn. :bcb_bigsm

That's the goal, isn't it. And it does work. :salut

It's what most people want to do on maintenance (not count points), so I think it's a GREAT idea to learn these things before you get there. :salut :bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Wow... thanks everyone. The advice to eat more grains is excellent and I do need to up my water. I don't like to drink a lot of diet soda but I have learned that having one at dinner actually helps me get full faster and eat less. I can see how there is a learning curve on this so I am going to hang in there even if I don't lose this week since i am still learning to read hunger signals.

I'd love tips on if anyone has a particular "system" for deciding when they are full. I'm sure it becomes second nature but as some of you have said, my problem isn't so much what I eat but how much, so I am excited to learn how to recognize fullness before I feel overstuffed!

I still can't believe i can eat olives and bean and whole wheat pasta and lose weight but I am going on blind faith and the experiences of all of you!

Best,

Samantha

For a lot of us, we "listen" for "the sigh." Our bodies just seem to stop all action and sigh when it is feeling full. You have to pay attention because it comes a lot sooner than you'd think.

If I don't pay attention for the sigh, I end up just barging on through and then end up feeling stuffed. Another sign I use is the "can I do the dishes?" If I've eaten so much that I need to "rest" before doing the dishes, I know I've eaten too much and spend some time reflecting on why it happened. It is a belated signal, for sure, but I am able to say "I ate too much of this or that" or "I kept eating even though I knew I was full, etc." So, I try to use it as a learning tool.

For a lot of us, we "listen" for "the sigh." Our bodies just seem to stop all action and sigh when it is feeling full. You have to pay attention because it comes a lot sooner than you'd think.

This also means we have to be mindful as we eat instead of reading, watching TV, etc.

Well you asked for successes and I want to tell you mine. First of all I have done so many diets in my lifetime it isn't funny. The best one for me besides WW was Low-Carbing (Protein Power not Adkins) I did lose over 80 pounds on Low-Carb but got off for one day for Thanksgiving and never got back on and gained about 60 pounds back before admitting I was gaining. So after many attempts to get back on that horse I gave up. A friend introduced me to core way back when. I thought not another diet. UGH!!! But gave it a shot to help my friend along and be an encouragement to her. I lost slowly but steadily as long as I worked with the program. I did lose maybe 35 pounds or so and true to my nature I fell off again. So you see I have this pattern of up and down - on and off. But I am trying to be determined to stick with it this time. I am not a great cook but my daughter likes the fact that when I am on ww we eat more regular meals, and better meals. So she is happy when I am on ww for about 75% of the time at least. It does work, if you stick with it.

Now, the down side for my daughter and me about being on plan is this. I get very OCD I will say about what we put in our mouth. So, if it has HFCS it is an automatic NO, if it has trans fats, NO. So, that puts a hiatus on lots of things. I have become a label reader to excess. I use very, very, very few FF products as they contain fillers, additives, and things I don't want in my body and choose to count points for reduced fat items. Compare labels on FF to reduced fat and see which seems more healthy not which seems less points.

I am sure I will upset the delicate balance of ww with my comments as there are almost no ww products I would use due to the trans fat and HFCS issues, but this is what I am doing and it is working. Natural food vs processed, which will you choose? I did lose 8 pounds this week, did not feel deprived and ate out twice. You can make it work for you if you will work with the program.

I forgot the part about how to feel full. It is a process you have to learn or for me it was. I would first stop eating as soon as I felt slightly satisfied. Then in 20 minutes I was hungry again, so would have a glass of water and try all the tricks they tell you. But I finally figured out I was almost paying too much attention, if that is possible, to the "full" feeling. So now, instead I will eat a bit over full where I can actually say "wow I am full" but not stuffed. This carries me over the 3-4 hours until time for a snack. If I get hungry beforehand and water doesn't cure it, then I know I really did not eat enough at the previous meal.

I work for myself from home so I am terrible about sitting there working and forgetting to eat. Eating on schedule or even 3x a day is very, very hard for me. So making sure I eat enough at each meal is important and eating snacks helps get the all the food groups in and all the points used.

Never give up or look back,

:exercise: Mickee :exercise:

weight.png

HW: 238

WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

Thanks again, all this is so helpful. I wanted to report that it's been one week and much to my disbelief (because I don't feel deprived AT ALL), I lost 3 pounds. Amazing. Wanted to put that out there to other new people who might have been nervous about this plan.

The support here is awesome, thanks.

Samantha

That's fantastic Samantha!!!!!!! Seeing is believing!!!!!

Lynn

Great job, Samantha!! Isn't this way of doing things great?!! Keep with it, and keep posting!!!

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

That is great, Samantha

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

Thanks again, all this is so helpful. I wanted to report that it's been one week and much to my disbelief (because I don't feel deprived AT ALL), I lost 3 pounds. Amazing. Wanted to put that out there to other new people who might have been nervous about this plan.

The support here is awesome, thanks.

Samantha

Great job Samantha!!! I really think that it is amazing that this really works!! I restarted the day after Christmas and lost 3 the first week and 2 this last week. I think I eat a lot, but now much more healthy.

Karen

I wake up every day with the realization that this is it, that there's only one shot at this life and I can either enjoy the ride and live it to its fullest and to my highest potential or I can stay the way I am.

What you call "amazing" we used to call "Core Magic".

:bcb_bigsm

I'm sorry that I did not answer sooner...but I was sick last week then busy all weekend freezing off my tush at soccer games...in sub-40 degree weather just north of home. It was actually down to 32 degrees at DD's 6PM game! ( I'm sure as a Floridian I won't get much sympathy on this board because some of you are getting sub ZERO weather, but I'm VERY sensitive to the cold! )

My experience with Core/SiFi has been similar to some.

I did learn to listen better to my body for those satisfaction signals.

I had to spend a bit more time planning to cook and eating out less.

I learned to adjust recipes and make healthy substitutes that our family would like.

I consider this a lifestyle and not a diet.

I learned to enjoy exercise.

Over time my taste buds changed. I HATE the taste of both diet and regular soda now. I used to drink Dr. Pepper like a fiend. It's all WAY TOO SWEET and the chemical taste is just AWFUL. I drink only water, FF milk, tea, and coffee. And nearly all fast food grosses me out. So many things I used to eat are no longer tempting.

On the other hand, I still measure and count points for 2TBS of half & half in my morning coffee...and that hasn't changed - even after maintaining for nearly three years, I can't stand the taste of anything else in my coffee!

I lost relatively quickly - see my sig - and I owe my success to this plan and the BCB board!

Veronica the Pushy Core Zealot

SW 196.2 - 7/3/6

WWGW 146.0 - down 50.2 in 24 weeks!

CW 131 - 65.2 lbs gone FOREVER!

Lifetime - 2/12/7

My Chart Before & After

Simul justus et peccator