Health Discovery Network
freetobethin

vegetable chopper: Suggestions?

I know we have had this conversation in the past, but I can't get the search engine to work.

What is your favorite vegetable chopper? I have had the Vidala Chopper for several years, but I keep breaking it and super-gluing it back together. So I'm wondering up an up-grade. Carol, weren't you the one that had a "real favorite"?

*Irene* Thin for Life: Yes!

Williams-Sonoma multi-chopper. You can watch a video on their website. There are some bad reviews there, but I LOVE mine, and use it daily.

Costco is showing the "same" multi-chopper in their latest magazine, which means they should have it (I would guess) within a few months...

They didn't show a price on it, though. (But you'd guess lower, since it's Costco.)

DD, 30, loves hers, too. And WWDonna loves hers and is considering getting a "back-up"...just like I am!:bcb_grin

My favorite blade is small-dice. Everything is a uniform (cute) square, so veggies cook evenly. :wave:

Questions?...:bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

:

Questions?...:bcb_smile

:bcb_grin:bcb_grin Well of COURSE there are questions, Carol:bcb_bigsm!

Do you have the "professional" chopper? I am looking for something small. For when I need to chop some nuts and don't want to dirty the food processor.

The little thing they sell in one of those infomercial/commercials looks like what I want, but I don't watch enough TV to see those commercials:bcb_grin!!!!

Does anybuddy know what I mean and/or have any thoughts?

The WS professional chopper is bigger than what I want, I think.

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

It looks bigger in the video than it does in real life...You lock it into the "down" position, and it's a small box. Kind of like a recipe box.:bcb_smile

I'm going to be the contrarian here and say there's nothing better than a really great knife. And nothing is easier to clean!!!

I have one of those choppers. I forget what kind it is but it is a good one that I got as a gift. I never, ever use it. I put it in the pile to go to Goodwill but DF took it out of the pile. He never uses it either. I think he gave it to me. Oops. I bought myself a gorgeous mandoline. I never use that either. (But that's not going to Goodwill!!!) Guess it is just me!

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

I challenge you to a duel, Sailorwoman!:bcb_wink3:bcb_bigsm

Me and my multi-chopper against you and your knife. :salut

Each of us with a mountain of prepared vegetables...Going for a small-dice.

Now unless you've gone to culinary school (and might be missing a few fingers...:bcb_huh: ) I think I will win in the SPEED and accuracy department. :bcbkickbu

Clean-up is a breeze. I hold it under running water, then dry. I don't put it in the washing machine because I don't want to damage the blades.

I want a little chopper for NUTS. You CANNOT cut nuts with a knife!!!!! Okay, you CAN but it isn't fun! And when I only need a little bit of chopped nuts I don't want to use my food processor....otherwise I can pretty happy with a good knife!

Lynn

I googled "little nut chopper" and found this: little nut chopper

Check the reviews.

Maybe you should google "GREAT little nut chopper"?!...:bcb_up

:bcb_smileThanks Carol! Looks good....

My mom has an OLD little nut chopper and since she is in "getting rid of things mode" I might just ask her if I can HAVE it!:bcb_up

Lynn

I challenge you to a duel, Sailorwoman!:bcb_wink3:bcb_bigsm

Me and my multi-chopper against you and your knife. :salut

Each of us with a mountain of prepared vegetables...Going for a small-dice.

Now unless you've gone to culinary school (and might be missing a few fingers...:bcb_huh: ) I think I will win in the SPEED and accuracy department. :bcbkickbu

Clean-up is a breeze. I hold it under running water, then dry. I don't put it in the washing machine because I don't want to damage the blades.

Ah, but I'm not racing!! I'm racing only out on the water in my sailboat!!! I like the rhythm of chopping with a good knife. It is actually kind of peaceful. I found with the chopper that I had, that I had to cut pieces so they'd fit in the chopper, so I might just as well chop them the rest of the way. But to each his own!!

Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? There's a hilarious scene there where Julia was rather obsessively practicing her chopping and she's chopped a giant mound of onions!!:bcb_bigsm

And Lynn is right that it is harder to chop nuts. But, you see, I don't chop nuts, because I'm allergic to tree nuts! We occasionally have peanuts, and I don't chop them!! :bcb_wink3

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

I definitely thought of that scene, SW! :bcb_grin

I know a friend who's attending culinary school and she has to chop certain vegetables the SAME way EVERY day for a year, or so...just to solidify the habits. :salut

And I'm happy when people are happy with what they're doing...! :bcb_smile

:wave:

Thanks for the quick reply Carol. For some reason I've not been able to get on BCB most of the day. :bcb_yuck:

I guess I wouldn't mind trying a WS if I could just buy it from a store (not an internet order) and then check it out. That way I could easily return it if it didn't work. I looks like they have an inform quality problem. Some work great and some are awful.

For right now, I've super glued mine once again. I do like the fine chopping that I can do, especially for the onions. And I'm like you, Carol, the choppers do speed up the veg. chopping.

*Irene* Thin for Life: Yes!

My 8 yr old would tell you that you need a slap chop - he love sthe info-mercials!! www.slapchop.com

We were given a Pampered Chef version when we had the play area & made soup daily - I still preferred a knife. I am like Sailor - I like to chop with a knife, I find it therapeutic. My staff thought I was really odd - I would happily stand & peel & cut 10lbs of carrots into sticks!! As long as I have good tools to use, I love to chop & dice.

Well, Irene...do you belong to Costco? Like I said, they should be coming there. And Costco has a great return policy.:salut

I run mine in the dishwasher all the time. No problem and my blades are very sharp.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

BEcky I laughed at your slap chop because I was using my Vidalia Chopper this am and DS 17 said Mom you need a slap chop.

I do like the Vidalia chopper but most of the time I just use a knife like Sailor. I use the Vidalia when I need to chop a lot of stuff. Today I am making spaghettis sauce so chopping onion, pepper and garlic.

Sue

163 SW/164 CW/145 GW

Guest annettegla

I want to reply about the slap chop versus the Vidalia Chopper. Both work but the Vidalia Chopper are evenly diced whereas the Slap Chop has pieces of various sizes. The Slap Chop would work great for nut especially since you can chop in the cover. I love the Vidalia Shopper for soup vegetables though.

I run mine in the dishwasher all the time. No problem and my blades are very sharp.

Good to know...good to know! :bcb_happy:salut