Health Discovery Network
Suzanne B

What do you say when....

What do you say when you are doing well with your weight loss and others decide to give you advice?

My MIL has been very obese for the last 30 years or more. She yo-yo diets on the latest fads constantly. She has been kinda following South Beach/Atkins but only loses a few pounds and gains it back soon after. I did WW about 5-6 years ago and went off program when I was expecting my 3rd child (born Feb. '06) I successfully lost 40 or so pounds before the pregnancy. I gained it all back with the pregnancy and after. Our Life has been chaos the past few years with moving, job changes etc. I am finally back on track and losing again. She hasn't said anything yet but I know she will. She & FIL both like to nag me on what I eat and tell me how I need to do these other programs, don't eat bred, no carbs, etc. I am not a big meat eater and they pick at me about that too. Eating lots of meat makes me feel bad.

I need some nice, polite zippy things to say to basically tell them to lay off, I'm doing fine with the program I'm following. They like to keep on and on until I finally get mad at them. They also try to talk me into going off program when we go out to eat or on vacation (the whole family goes on vacation together in the summer). Very frustrating!

weight.png

Suzanne

Getting back on track!

I would kindly tell them that I appreciate their advice and while those programs are all good and may work for you, WW works for me and I would appreciate any support you can give me.

Non-smoker since 11-15-01

WW goal..... 120

Personal Goal... 110

CW.... 101.5... 04/01/20

Smile and say nothing. Let your weight loss talk for you.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

I find that not saying anything is good. I had a lot of comebacks if my in laws were going to say anything. They have in the past but when I started to lose the weight and it really showed they never brought it up. eventually my MIL made a comment about how she was proud of me. This was coming from a family where I feel tolerated, not always liked and where no one compliments any one but are quick to take cheap shots at each other.

You know my boss does the same thing he and his wife are long time fans of atkins - and he asked me today "well how many carbs is in it?" talking about my Wrap I was eating

I politely told him "oh carbs? I don't worry about those I just have to count my points. I make sure I get the good carbs stay with in my daily points and I'm good to go"

He said " well how many points in that?"

I said "8"

he made a funny face then said "well how many do you get a a day?"

I said "23"

He said smiling " oh, well that's not bad at all!" (I think I may have recruited over to the WW side :-) )

Christina

:bcb_march

SW:190 1/1/10

CW: 185.0 :bcbkickbu

GW: 160 (mini goal)

"Experience is what you get,

when you didn't get what you wanted"

Randy Pausch

My fiance says I look fine as I am and it's on the inside of a person that matters. Shakes his head about what I eat (we eat totally different). He hates fruits/vegetables and thinks what I eat is gross. Since we got together I gained 60 lbs. I've had enough. I had to do something about it. He cooks with lots of butter, crisco and such and he has always been at a healthy weight. We cook separate now and it makes him mad. He will not eat leftovers and lots of food gets tossed in the trash.

Back on Weight Watcher's 8/13/12~~Made 1st Goal of 5% loss (-11.5 lbs.=219.9 lbs.) 10/05/12 ~~Made 2nd Goal: 10% loss. (23.1 lbs. at 208.3 lbs.) 11/21/13 (208 lbs.)~~Made 3rd Goal Onederland! (199.5 lbs. 02/02/14)

HW 231.4 lbs. BMI 34.22 Obese

CW 196.2 lbs. BMI 28.97 Overweight 03/04/14 Down 35.2 lbs.

GW 150.0 lbs.

Height: 5'9" Healthy Weight: 125-169 lbs.

Weigh-in Day:

Friday

:bcb_madta "Doing what it takes!" :bcbkickbu

If anyone says a word, I pretend I didn't hear them. There's no point in engaging with people who will comment like that: if you say anything in defense of your eating plan, it's an invitation for them to defend *their* position. It's almost impossible to change anyone's mind on this stuff, and if you can do it, it's after exhausting effort.

And since debating doesn't get me any activity points, I refuse to engage them.

I like what Luanne said, "Smile and say nothing....let your weight loss speak for you."

You don't have to defend yourself and you don't have to defend what you eat. Sounds like your MIL and FIL have a few issues themselves and saying anything just gives them fuel. You don't even have to tell them you're doing WW. Just eat what you choose to eat when you choose to eat it.

Good luck......we're all on your side!

"I am pieces of all the places I have been,
and the people I have loved......"

– Brooke Hampton

or just smile and quote yourself: "Im doing fine with the program I'm following, but thank you for your concern." Smile and walk away...

Be careful of your thoughts, for your thought become your words.

Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.

Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.

Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.

Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.

Author unknown

http://laurdee.blogspot.com