Health Discovery Network
LKS1025

choosing a goal weight

Hello! I'm still fairly new to WW - I finished a 12 week WW at work program and lost 10 pounds (yay!). And I was able to keep a steady weight in the month interim before the next WW at W round started this week. My question is this - I'm 39 years old, my start weight was 152, I'm at 142 now, and I'd really like to finish at 132 (or less!). (I'm 5'5") I know this last 10 pounds is going to be tough. It would be my pre-pregnancy weight before my first of 3 children. So far our WW Leader hasn't really given advice on picking a goal weight, she's emphasized the 5% and 10% numbers.

Any advice on picking the goal weight?

Thanks,

Laura

Laura

joined WW 10/12/09

start weight: 152

current weight: 142

You should have the BMI chart somewhere, with an upper limit for a healthy BMI. That's supposed to be a guideline, though you can go over that. It's really where you feel good and where you can maintain.

SW: 240:bcb_cry:

WWGW: 120:kickbutt:

PGW: 115:bcb_up

I'm 5'0 on a good day.

1st goal: 5%, or 228 (12 pounds)

weight.png

:welcome: Laura!

My advice would be to call your goal weight pretty close to the top of the range for your height. You don't have to STAY there, but it makes it easier along the way. Sometimes we set our goal weights too low and then it becomes impossible to maintain that weight long-term. There's nothing wrong with setting the goal weight a bit high and then aim to lose a few more pounds and try to maintain there. Better safe than sorry. It's easier to adjust your goal weight down than it is to adjust it back up!

Kimberley

I second what Kimberley said. When I first started WW, I was doubtful that I could lose at all, let alone get down to a normal weight for me (which I thought of as ~130-135). Although I originally thought I'd set it at the very top of my range, when I saw how well WW worked, I decided to set it a little lower. I set it at 140, but my personal goal weight was 135. My WW leader said it was ok, and I just made sure that I paid attention to the instructions about maintaining, so that when I did hit my personal goal, I knew what to do. It turned out that I hit my personal goal the same week I made Lifetime. In the several years since then, I've been glad that I had a little cushion, although I know WW would prefer that I maintain within 2 lbs of my WW goal.

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

Here is something posted on another WWer support site from someone who is a leader. I think she states it very well.

"We welcome our members to pick a goal weight they are comfortable with. That can be at the high end of your range or the middle or the low end....we really leave that up to you.

Contrary to what some believe, we don't make this rule because we want your money....we actually WANT LT members to succeed and for long term, because it shows our program does work.....it's the best testimonial we have!

We ask that in order to maintain free LT status, you not to go more than 2 pounds ABOVE that range or you will be charged.....we also really don't want to see you go more than 2 pounds below your goal weight either.....Why you ask?

Long term success is being able to maintain your weight....not gain and lose and gain and lose....so we want you to have a goal weight that is something you can live with....2 pounds either way isn't a lot to have to manage (most of the time...LOL)

However, if you are battling 5 or more pounds it can get a way from you....and we see it happen WAY TOO OFTEN. This is not really maintenance...it's more replaying the end of your goal weight journey over and over again.

We know that people like to build a cushion into their plan....so it's easier to not be surprised on the scale and have to pay....and there is a good logic in that BUT, we know that studies have shown that MORE people are successful long term, when they have truly learned to maintain a weight without that cushion...or at least not a large cushion.....

Again, I reiterate that we want you to pick your goal weight (with your leader) and pick one that you're comfortable with....the rest will be up to you. We are here to help...."

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Laura,

My first time with WW many years ago, I chose a weight at the bottom of my range thinking of my weight in my 20s. Reality was I couldn't maintain it. Everyone has given good advice. Why not wait until you are near the top range of your goal and then evaluate how you feel and look?

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png