Health Discovery Network
CW

Food for thought as Weight Watchers join McDonald's

We all knew the values (or lack of them) for Fast Food already but the news media is working this story over pretty well this morning...Robin Meade knows about points!

CW

Food for thought as Weight Watchers join McDonald's

(AFP) – 7 hours ago

WELLINGTON — The slimmers organisation Weight Watchers has teamed up with fast-food giant McDonald's in New Zealand -- in a deal that some of their members are finding difficult to stomach.

The dieting company will put their logo on three different McDonald's meals, that each adds up to 6.5 Weight Watchers' points of a maximum per day of between 18 to 40.

People have a greater chance of losing weight and keeping it off when they do not deprive themselves of every indulgence, Weight Watchers' spokesman Chris Stirk told the New Zealand Herald.

He said the McDonald's deal followed similar arrangements with restaurant chains in Britain and America.

Doctor Robyn Toomath, from the Fight the Obesity Epidemic group, said the move was acceptable if it convinced McDonald's customers to pick a less-fatty food option but it was more likely to attract new customers and normalise the regular eating of McDonald's.

Weight Watchers' members appeared divided about the scheme according to comments on their website message board.

"Weight Watchers should be ashamed of doing a deal such as this," wrote Liz, while Jen added: "This is all about money and it disgusts me to see WW have sold out."

However, Cass said that "just because there's a WW option on the menu doesn't mean I'll have to buy from Maccas" and Maureen said: "For those of us that are on the plan and understand the points thing its not such a bad idea."

Copyright © 2010 AFP. All rights reserved.

AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202124

I suppose it's the same as pairing with Applebees to have a "light" menu in addition to everything else. I remember watching Food, Inc and they made an important point that we cast our ballot every time we open our wallet. If companies realize that there is profit to be made by going organic or offering more healthy options, they'll do it. You'll likely never get rid of the Big Mac but if McD's can have more and more healthy options available, that's a good thing.

I don't think any of the programs are immune to this. Nutri System, Jenny Craig and all the prepackaged meal programs are riddled with chemicals. So are the WW, Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice, etc frozen entrees and packaged foods. NONE of that stuff is *real* food and none of it is particularly healthy. It has all been literally processed to death.

But, from a weight loss perspective, calories in vs. calories out. If there are more lower calorie options out there, that's not necessarily a bad thing-- until people decide that they need two (or more) of them to get a "normal" portion!! :crazy:

Kimberley

Cool, I was asking about healthy drive-thru ideas for breakfast. I wish all restaurants had a WW option. I hope it's something tasty for 6.5 pts because I can get a breakfast burrito for 7!

Eat up New Zealand... maybe they will try it here eventually.

Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Guest Kaypix

I thought it was weird, but then again, there's how many lists of "if you must eat at XYZ chain, try ..." So I understand them having the options be obvious instead of us having to look through our books for the right meal choice if we are going to eat at a given restaurant chain. I enjoy the WW friendly items at Applebees, especially the steak portabello, half the plate is broccoli, with about 6 pieces of potatoe and a 4oz steak, it was like 8 points or something, but I appreciated that I could see how many points it was up front.

The more options, the better. It's hard to figure out all the points stuff. It's even harder to ask my family to give up their habits just because I'm fat. If my kids like McD's every now and then, I don't want to punish them. It would be nice to have an option where I'm not guessing.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

Personally I don't eat fast foods or frozen entrees but let's face it even on this board people are always asking for take-out options. That's just the nature of the beast in the fast lane. I watch HS students pass up salad options in the cafeteria for french fries. Our school did a survey 5 years ago, and the majority of the HS students claim to eat take-out or fast foods over 80% of the time.

Unfortunately, it's going to take more than healthy options to make people choose them.

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png

We cast our ballot every time we open our wallet.

That is very true and I'm seeing differences. I used to stop in Bob Evans for breakfast and it was hard finding OP options. Now they have a "Fit from the Farm" menu. I even saw some Denny's "Fit-Fare" items pop up on the WW tracker the other day when I was searching.

Remember to vote! :salut

Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.