Health Discovery Network
Guest Picklicious

Trying to get motivated to workout on my own

Guest Picklicious

I am trying to get back into the swing of working out. I don't have a gym membership,( can't afford it} I do have workout DVD's which I love to do. i am in some sort of a funk as far as starting back on the workout schedule. Any tips that anyone could give to help motivate would be great. I am not sure how to find a workout buddy either so that doesn't help.

I just started on the points (flex) program.

I am brand new to this site so HELLO EVERYONE

When I'm not motivated to do a workout, I pick out one of my favorite videos, put on my workout clothes and tell myself I only have to do 10 minutes. Usually by the time I get that far, I'm into it and finish the whole thing. Just take it one day at a time. Welcome to BCB!

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Hi Picklicious,

I just started March 1st. I'm very food motivated so it's the activity points that do it for me. I love it when one of those pops up. It means I can eat more. Is that bad?

Actually, I've made myself accountable to a beloved friend. She can't exercise with me, but I e-mail her every night with what I did - or didn't do. She is very encouraging. I hate to tell her I sat around all evening watching a movie when I could have been moving. The BCBs are very encouraging too. Good luck.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

Guest Picklicious

Thank you i may try this because some of my best friends are far and we email each other a lot.

Guest Picklicious

Thanks Joanne this would most likely work for me, Once I get started i'm good to go.

I appreciate all the feedback :)

picklicious

Pick, my suggestion is to find an exercise that you love doing to keep you motivated. I love to walk. Even when I don't feel like going, I do cuz I'm outside and I feel so good after.

For accountability, post in the monthly exercise thread. That might help too.

Welcome to BCB and good luck!!

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

I would try Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone. This is the workout I started with in my home then I moved it outside. I live in Wisconsin so in the winter I do the DVDs and in the summer I go outside for the fresh air. She has many DVDs but the first one I bought was the 5 workouts in one DVD. Then you can choose to do a different one each day.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

CW 200.4 on my way back down :bcb_march

GW 150

weight.png

Its not a diet it's a lifestyle........:workout::bike::water1:

I agree with purpleangel in that you need to find an exercise or physical activity that you enjoy doing. For instance, I'm not a gym person but I love to walk, ride my bike, play tennis and swim in the summer time. If you still can't motivate yourself to walk or exercise then make the exercise a requirement. For instance, walk every morning to get your morning paper or morning coffee at the local store. You can't have your coffee or paper if you don't walk.

Vega Sinclair, Health Coach & Medical Insurance Advisor

Here's a few things I do for motivation to exercise:

I clip articles, etc. where fit people talk about how they don't want to exercise but do it anyways and feel better when they are done. It helps me to realize that EVERYONE just doesn't feel like it sometimes and has to force themselves to do the right thing.

I also do the "just have to do 5 minutes trick" often followed by "well you can do five minutes more, can't you?" Repeat a few times and bam, 20-30 minutes!

I bring everything I need and stop somewhere that I exercise on my way home from somewhere else. Eg. gym or park on the way home from work. If I go home first I might not make it out again.

I like Vega's idea of building it in. I used to pay for parking a few blocks away from my work (because it was the closest available and cheap) and that meant every day, walking for about 8 minutes to work and again back to the car.

I started doing some volunteer work that requires being active - I work in a food bank, sorting food, carrying boxes, up and down ladders, which gives me low intensity activity and feels good to help out, too.

I give myself a target for AP each week and check in to know if I am on track or not. E.g. should be 30% of target by day 2, 50% by day 3, 75% by day 5.

I started a couple of hobbies that require being active - like right now I am working on a garden. Every time I need to dig something for the garden it is low intensity activity.

I keep a music playlist that is specifically for working out, fast paced songs that I find energizing. It's not the same type of music that I generally listen to but is better for working out.

I do interval training sometimes, like cardio for 5 minutes then do some weights or strength training, then back for another 5 minutes then some more weights. This works for me because I like weight training a lot better than cardio. Jog/walk when I am outside works too.

I set out my workout gear so that it is really convenient to work out and less convenient to skip the workout. For example to do a workout video I need to move my coffee table, roll back the carpet, put the video in the DVD player. If I do these three things before going to bed or before I leave the house, and also set out workout clothes and shoes that I need in the living room, then the next time I'm in the living room I want to just work already, out so that I can put the room back to normal.

Terri

SW: 309.8 / CW: 265.8 / Next Goal: 253.0 / WW Loss: 44.0 lbs

I have a hard time getting motivated too, but I've found a few things work for me, most of which has already been mentioned.

Set out to complete just ten minutes or so... chances are you'll get caught up in it and finish the whole thing. I sometimes do workout videos that run about 45 minutes, and as long as I remember to keep pushing when I start to get a little tired (usually at about 20 minutes), I manage to finish them.

Tell a friend. "This is what I am going to do today, and I'll tell you how it went later." You don't want to make a liar out of yourself, so you'll be sure to do whatever exercise you said you meant to do. If you don't have a friend you can do that with already, make one. I'd happily volunteer because I like to bounce stuff off someone fairly often.

Do something fun. If you enjoy it, you're a lot more likely to finish what you set out to do, and even exceed your expectations, not to mention go back and do it again often.

Deb ~ Every day has potential to be a success! ~

:bcbkickbuMini-goal #15 - Lose 60 pounds

counter-weight.jpg

Down 56.3 lbs, 3.7 lbs to go