Health Discovery Network
mis1001

Bean Burger Recipe

Hi, I've never made a bean burger, but I'd like to try. Does anyone have a good recipe they could share? I'm sure there are already some recipes posted, but since the search engine isn't working at the time, I can't find them.

Thanks!

I like the Morning Star veggie burgers, especially the Spicy Black Bean. I hadn't really thought about making my own before, so I did a little searching and found these links. I haven't tried either, but they both look promising.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums//showthread.php?122466-Homemade-Veggie-Burgers-Bulgar-Garbanzos&p=749862

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55480&highlight=vickilynn+black+bean

Dandy

SW:340/CW:183.2/GW:130

It's not enough to want it, you have to want it enough.

weight.png

There's a great section on vegetarian burgers in the new Moosewood Cookbook if you can get it from your library!

Kimberley

Cathy P. posted this on Lifetime, and I just had to pass it along! I made these this morning, and they are EXCELLENT and EASY!!

"Garden Burgers

1/2 large onion, finely diced

1 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock

1 cup coarse bulgur

1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed

4 oz frozen peas or carrots, Optional

pinch kosher salt

1/4 cup grated mozzarella (optional)

Pour onions into a 3 quart sauce pot with the stock and bring to a boil. Add bulgur, chickpeas and veggies, stir until combined. Turn off heat, cover and let stand 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.

Remove pot from heat. Using a potato masher or spoon back, mash ingredients together making sure all chickpeas get smashed. Add in cheese (if desired). Form into four burger patties. Lightly coat a non stick skillet with cooking spray and turn heat to medium. Place all burgers in pan when hot and cook 2-3 minutes per side or untilheated through and golden. Can also add taco or other seasoning into burgers mixing them.

No nutritional info was given, but should be able to figure points easily enough. This isn't that many ingredients."

(I've got people working on the points right now! ) I made mine with: precooked bulgar (2 cups), onions, frozen garbanzo beans and frozen peas: mixed together and cooked in the microwave for about 3 minutes until beans/peas were warm and onion was cooked.

You can also follow the recipe by putting everything in an 8 C. Pyrex measuring cup and microwaving the mixture for 15-20 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes. I did add in the grated mozarella when I "mashed" the mixture!

I formed them into "burgers" with my Tupperware patty-maker. They held their shape beautifully, and were very easy to work with! I got seven 4 ounce "Gardenburgers".

I toasted a pita, and put it in with lettuce, tomatoes and hot sauce. Very filling and delicious. Reminiscent of a falafel!! Carol

Points by Joanne: "I ran it through the Nutritional Analysis Tool and came up with

for the whole recipe (not capping fiber)

Calories 1120

Fat 12.5

Fiber 47

Points 14.04166667

Round 14

Divided by 7 it came to 2 point per. If you capped the fiber at 4 for each one of the 7 it came to 2.54 which rounds to 3.

I did have to estimate on the onion. I put in 1/2 cup since I don't know how much 1/2 a large onion is. Also I didn't know how much drained chickpeas weighed so I estimated 12 oz. It may be too high an estimate as it says the chickpeas alone were 405 of the 1120 calories. If you have a can you might want to check what it says and adjust downward as needed. I think you'd be safe to count 2 points per."

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile