Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Guest LeeBeeJeebies

How should I divvy up my points throughout the day?

Guest LeeBeeJeebies

Is there a general rule of thumb regarding the best way to divide up points throughout the day? I know that it wouldn't be smart to eat the majority of my points during breakfast because then I wouldn't have enough for lunch and dinner...

...but it seems like I never have enough points by the end of the day to have as much for dinner as I want! What do you all do? Do you save half of your points for dinner? More than half? I mean, I know if you're planning a special occasion for dinner then of course you save more points than usual for dinner. But on a regular basis, what is your general rule of thumb?

The reason why I am asking is because I thought I heard once that there is a certain suggested percentage of your points you should eat by breakfast, by lunch, by dinner, etc. Have you heard this before?

Guest LeeBeeJeebies

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into this? Any advice at all? I'm so curious to know what a good ratio of points division is! :) Do you use about half of your points between breakfast and lunch and the other half for dinner? Do you save almost all of the them for dinner? Do you divide the points equally into thirds for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Lol - I need some guidance here!! I know everyone probably does this differently, but I don't think I'm doing it in a very smart way. I feel like I would do better if I could see how some you divvy up your points on a day-to-day basis. :)

Thanks everyone! ;)

Hi Lee,

That is a good question. I use the online tracker and one of the first things I noticed about myself is that if I eat a light breakfast and a light lunch, I almost always use flex points at the end of the day. It seemed odd to me because it seemed like if I had more points at the end of the day, I would be "safer" and less likely to use any flex. BUT when I looked at three weeks of history, it was painfully obvious that it was just the opposite. I've decided that if I eat too little throughout the day, I end up feeling hungry and deprived and then for dinner there is no amount of food that can make me feel satisfied. This was a revelation-type moment for me. I get 22 points for a day. I am convinced (after a whole seven weeks of experience at this) that if I eat about 6 points at each of my three meals and have a couple of snacks on hand if necessary, I feel satisfied all day and consistently don't use flex. If I skip breakfast of just eat a point or two early in the day . . . I'm in trouble. Someone better lock the frig. But that's just me. I've never heard of a suggested breakdown. That doesn't mean there isn't one.

It looks like you are showing a great loss in a short period of time. You must be doing something right. Good luck.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

I looked back through my tracker and it looks like I normally have about 30% of my points for dinner and evening snacks. The rest of the day varies a lot more, often between 15-30% for breakfast, 20-30% for lunch, and the rest are snacks in morning or afternoon. I seem to do best and am least hungry when I spread it pretty equally over the day.

Edited to add - I usually use the WPA for the special occasions (or weekend nights). I don't think that eating less during the day would work too well for me, I would get hungry and then inhale everything in sight. Better to go when I'm not too hungry.

Terri

SW: 309.8 / CW: 265.8 / Next Goal: 253.0 / WW Loss: 44.0 lbs

Guest LeeBeeJeebies

Heather and Terri - thank you so much for this helpful insight! Actually, you're right (and this never dawned on me until you said this) - being too cautious throughout the day with my points so as to leave a lot of points for dinner DOES make me feel starved by the end of the day, and I DO inhale everything in sight! I like the idea of making it more balanced throughout the day. That seems like something that would work well with me!

Thank you for your advice! :)

Lee,

I tend to eat more for breakfast and lunch because my nights are so busy. I think it depends on the individual. If a person knows they are going to be at home most of the evening and that they are going to want to graze all evening-they should probably save points for that.

You can also start you points day at 5pm (for example) instead of every morning. I know several people who work 2nd or 3rd shift and prefer to start their points day at midday or evening.

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

You can get a really good filling breakfast for 5 pts...and sometimes for less. I tend to use 5 for lunch, 5 for breakfast, 4 for snacks..and the rest for dinner.

Dinner is usually my biggest meal...but it all depends on when your biggest meal is.

Fatima AKA Smylin_Atcha

:p

ya ya name: Queen Horny Toad Smurf name: Hootchie Smurfette

sw:270 cw:190.6 79.4 lbs destroyed:bcbsalute

Faith is the ability to know u will survive the panic. Rosie O'Donnell

I tend to use between 5 and 8 for breakfast (oatmeal is filling, comes in tons of flavors, and low in points) with some sort of cereal, and since I don't eat lunch, I have most of my points left for dinner. I rarely go over my daily limit and into flex points unless some evil person (namely me lol) brings cheesecake or something equally decadent into the house. Then I can kiss my day goodbye! lol

Also, since four days a week I exercise hard for a total of 7.5 hours, I've found if I wait an hour or two after I workout before I eat again, I'm less likely to eat way too much then if I had eaten immediately after working out. Not sure why that is, but it is.

Deb ~ Every day has potential to be a success! ~

:bcbkickbuMini-goal #15 - Lose 60 pounds

counter-weight.jpg

Down 56.3 lbs, 3.7 lbs to go

Guest pinkplatypus26

Hey Lee. I TRY to have 5 for breakfast, 8 for lunch and 10 for dinner. That seems to work well. As long as I eat plenty of veggies with my meals, I am more than satisfied. It's really about finding a rhythm that works well for you. For me, for instance, I am up at 6 and eat breakfast, ride to school and teach/play with the kids until noon. That time FLIES. I don't even really have time to think about eating. Noon I have my lunch. This was/is kind of a challenge for me. I have a 3 hour lunch, so I sometimes get bored. I just make sure I have a satisfying lunch and stuff to keep me busy. I just tell myself that I only have to get through the break and then I have just 2 hours till I go home, gym it and get my dinner. I used to really have to talk myself through the lunch time, but now it doesn't even phase me. Try to make a plan and stick to it. It might be a little difficult at first, but really try to make fixed times and point values that you will eat and stick to it. Get your body in a system. I once when to a nutritionist and that was the first thing she had me do. She put me on an eating schedule. It seemed a bit obsessive, but really it did work. I didn't eat anything if it wasn't time to eat. I think I was so used to just eating all the time that I didn't even know what it meant to really be hungry anymore. So to have a schedule was really helpful. I also have a problem with night eating. So I usually have 10 planned for dinner so I am satisfied and try to stop eating by 9. After I get home from school and they gym, dinner happens pretty late. Good luck! Make a plan! :)

Guest LeeBeeJeebies

Ahh hah! Thank you everyone! It's very interesting to see how everyone does it! Very helpful!

Just to add my 2 cents - I usually have 4-5 for breakfast, 6 at lunch, 2-4 in snacks in the afternoon/before dinner, and the remainder for dinner. I also usually know what I am going to eat for dinner ahead of time so I can plug the points into my days plan. Sometimes it is easier for me to work backwards from dinner (which is usually a full meal shared with my financee) and adjust breakfast and lunch accordingly.

Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185

GW - 145

CW - 158

Hey Lee, I like to plan ahead so everyday is a bit different, and like Kait said, if I know one meal ahead of time, I sort of work the rest of the day around it. Like, if I know I'm going out for lunch, or I already know what I'm making for dinner etc. On weekdays, I generally don't like to have more than 4 pts on breakfast, 7-8 for lunch, and leave atleast 10 for dinner. On weekends, I love making breakfast at home so I allot up to 8 pts for breakfast then.

206.5 | 202 | 150

Mini Goal: 5% 196lbs

Lee,

I'm a mindless grazer, so I have to incorparate snacks throughout my day or else I end up starving and scarfing everything in sight. My usual day goes like this:

Breakfast 3

Snack 1-2

Lunch 5-7

Snack 1-2

Dinner 8-10

Snack 1-2

Liz

SW: 199.5 GW: 150 CW: 170

recommited & ready to go: 03/03/10

GOAL #1: 165 by 5/27