Health Discovery Network
htownskater

How do I get down to my ideal weight?

How exactly do I loose 75 lbs? I am 5-7 218 lbs. The doctor measured my body fat with the calipers and it was around 9-10%. She told me the ideal weight is 135-140 for my height. Even if I had zero body fat which is not even possible I would still weigh almost 200. So how so I loose 75 lbs of stuff.

Guest nic nac

Hi htownskater, I too have now 90lbs to loose and it is one day at a time, counting your points everyday. I use to take Sundays off but it became to hard to get back on program even after one day off. I do go over my points once in a while but got to say to myself, it is coming off no matter how long it takes. My leader says you are only the next meal to get back on track. I also add activity everyday, even the weekends. I am 5-10 and I need to get to 155lbs for the sake of my back. The dr. told me if I don't I will be a miserable old lady. Don't want to go there. I have no children to help me out of my chair when I am 80. So one day , one meal at a time 5lbs at a time. Good Luck Ps: lots of prayer helps too.

How do you lose the weight? By following the program one day at a time.

I lost 60+ pounds by:

- attending meetings

- following the program

- planning

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Hi there! I love the WW program but if you are measuring 9-10% body fat then you probably don't need to lose weight (although calipers need a lot of skill to get an accurate measurement). Have you asked your doctor why he/she thinks you need to lose weight if your body fat is already that low? It seems strange to me that a doctor would read body fat of 10% and still advise you to reduce your weight so I'd probably be looking for a second opinion if I were in your position.

Of course you'd still lose weight on the WW program, you'd lose muscle mass as well as fat. Which is not uncommon for people who are trying to lose weight.

Terri

SW: 309.8 / CW: 265.8 / Next Goal: 253.0 / WW Loss: 44.0 lbs

Hey. I'm just restarting the program, but as I read your post I just realized something......you never said you were doing WW. Although you are here, I guess I assumed you were. So......are you doing WW? If not, then have you considered going to a meeting?

God Bless You!

Mz. Krystle

weight.png

Hi there! I love the WW program but if you are measuring 9-10% body fat then you probably don't need to lose weight (although calipers need a lot of skill to get an accurate measurement). Have you asked your doctor why he/she thinks you need to lose weight if your body fat is already that low? It seems strange to me that a doctor would read body fat of 10% and still advise you to reduce your weight so I'd probably be looking for a second opinion if I were in your position.

Of course you'd still lose weight on the WW program, you'd lose muscle mass as well as fat. Which is not uncommon for people who are trying to lose weight.

the doctor says that any extra weight is bad even if it is not fat.

Something doesn't sound right. Are you sure she didn't say you have 10% to lose?

This forum is filled with people who have lost that amount of weight and more. The key is to follow the plan, track your points, plan your meals and exercise.

Why not call the doctor and ask the nurse to explain what the doctor was saying?

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png

the doctor says that any extra weight is bad even if it is not fat.

That is new information to me, I had always heard that BMI was intended to estimate body fat for sedentary people, and that it was unsuitable for athletes and others with high muscle mass. Furthermore I'd heard that the health risks were associated with excess body fat, not excess weight. However I am not a doctor and have no medical training whatsoever. But, that is why I suggested getting a second opinion.

If you are receiving medical advice to lose weight, the WW program is a good way to do that, and you can go to a meeting and learn the program. If you are taking in less calories than you are burning each day, your body will break down it's energy stores to make up the difference, and those energy stores can come from fat or from muscle. In your case, a 75 pound weight loss will come primarily from muscle tissue.

Terri

SW: 309.8 / CW: 265.8 / Next Goal: 253.0 / WW Loss: 44.0 lbs

Offhand I'd say the 9-10% body fat figure is not accurate. You'd have to be built like an olympic athlete to be 5'7" and weigh 218 with that fat percentage. You know your body better than we do. Do you think you have 75 pounds to lose without losing muscle?

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png