Health Discovery Network

Hi All,

I'm starting my second 12 week Round of P90X. I did my 1st round last year with amazing results.

I'm going to start a thread here for accountability.

I'm going to continue counting points. Its a lifestyle, I can't seem to give up. I'll incorporate healthy carbs, lean proteins, and supplements into my daily point allotment.

Last night was Chest and Back. It looked like the following:

265 Pushups

72 assisted pullups

2 x 15 @ 45lbs heavy pants

4 x 15 @ 65lbs lawn mowers

2 x 15 @ 25lbs sitdown back flys.

Tonight Plyometics.

SW 1/15/07 - 248 (37.5 % BF)

CW 10/01/09 - 184 (13.6% BF)

Goal is to Maintain current weight and reach under 10% BF.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186676

Platoon Member 256

Regards,

Rich

Good for you Rich, I have heard good things about P90X. Keep up the good work :)

Moe :salut

Not to sabotage your thread here, but I have been eyeing P90X for some time now... can you give me tips on it? How did you feel when you started... then as you got into it?

I have been researching, but nothing like a real testimony. I'd love to hear your take -- it must be worth it, if you are going back into it.

Thanks!!

Trish HW: 190 SW: 170 CW: 164.2 GW: 135ish

Hi Trish,

I'd be happty to answer any questions you may have on P90X. And don't worry, you're not sabotaging. :) . P90X can be described as Extreme. Hence the 'X'. Its a bootcamp type program that uses muscle confusion to help you build lean muscle. Get that beach body vs the bulky bodybuilder type. You have to be in some kind of shape in order to start. Its not the run of the mill Excercise DVD. The program is 6 days a week for 12 weeks.

I've been lifting and on a regular excercise program for 3.5 years. I still find this program very challenging. Like any program, your results will vary depending on how much you can commit to the program ;)

With 3 boys at home, a 7 year old and 8 mth old twins, this program gives me the flexability to workout at home and not run to the gym. Even though I have a gym at work. LOL. DW likes it when I get home from work early. So I either hit play on the DVD player at 4:45 AM or after 8:00 PM when the boys are put down to sleep.

The P90X workout schedule is broken up into 12 routines. The programs are segmented as follows:

Chest & Back, Plyometrics, Shoulders & Arms, Yoga, Legs & Back, Kenpo, Stretching, Core Synergistics, Chest, Shoulders & Triceps, Back & Biceps, Cardio, Abs. The strategy involves alternating the program by focusing on different segments on different weeks and on different days so that the muscles are in a constant state of confusion. The idea is to never allow your body to become acclimated to a predictable workout, thereby ensuring continual progress and body improvements.

Here is a great link that has the top 20 P90X FAQ's

http://www.weightloss-hq.biz/exercise-reviews/top-20-p90x-questions-answered-here.html

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask. I'm always gun-ho when talking about fitness.

Cheers,

Rich

Platoon Member 256

Regards,

Rich

Hey Rich,

Good luck to you buddy. I am on my second round, week 4, day 4. It's great stuff. Are you active on the Team Beachbody site at all?

Personally I also recommend P90X's recovery drink. It has always helped me stay relatively pain-free DOMS-wise.

MO#83

I'm not sure I could commit to 6 days a week.. YET. I just had a baby in January and my body has a serious hate for me. I think it's definitely something I would like to get into. A friend of mine has the set so I am thinking of trying them and then buying them - if they are as good as you say, then I might just be hijacking it here and doing it with you!

That was my other question - I am one of those girls who wants to get fit and still look like a GIRL. I don't want to look like a bodybuilder, so thanks for that. I just want to be able to wear shorts/swim suit and not be completely embarassed.

How long are each segment? And coming from a self-confessed slacker/asthmatic/just-plain-quitter (all of which I am working on, or controlling with medication. tee hee) when you first started - did you find that you needed to break or stop early? And if so, did you see results? I ask this because I tried one of the fat blasting Firm videos RIGHT after I had my first child and it was a 45 minute video. I found that even if I only did 30 minutes.. I saw results.

Reading that, I realized I needed to grasp what a Bootcamp mentality is, however, I am not "in SOME kind of shape".. except round. So I am curious if I tried the videos at my current stamina (aka 0 ) if it would kill me or would starting out just kick my butt into gear and onto a really great workout routine eventually. I haven't exercised in a LOONNNGGG TIME and it's time I get back to it. I just want to know, in short, if that would make this work out not for me?

Thanks again. And you look fantastic by the way!

You should definately try before you buy. :) Each segment is 45 - 60 min depending on the days plan. One thing that is stressed is quality and form over quantity. This will help prevent injury.

There are three types of programs. Lean, Normal, and double. If you are just starting out, you should definately try the lean program. This is the stepping stone to the regular program.

Since i was already on a regular excercise program, the transition to P90X both times has been seemless. I am however, right now, have a nice case of DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness) you know, the soreness you feel the next day, reminds you that you worked out yesterday, and for some reason, hurts even more two days later?

Working out is tough, finding the time is tougher. Especially when we have small children at home. I can sympithize. My DW has a tough time, but she pops in a P90X DVD when she gets a chance. She's not on any particular program, but loves the Cardio X, Core Synergistics, and Yoga X DVDs.

You tried the Fat Blasting Cardio in the past. Thats a small step in the right direction. I can tell you have an interest. All you need to do is get started. Find out what will work for you and go for it!. Whether its P90X or any excercise program. You'll have a lot of cheerleaders on your side here on BCB.

I have a couple of sayings "Six pack abs are made in the Kicthen. 80% diet 20% excercise" and "We all have six pack abs, except there are layers of fat on top of them" ;)

Keep in touch. Let us know when and what you decide.

Rich

Platoon Member 256

Regards,

Rich

You rock. I asked my friend about the DVDs today. I will hopefully have them by Friday or Monday. Exciting! Thanks for all the info!!!

(P.S. Our house is super small and there is only one room for me to work out in right now. However, we are moving into a bigger house the first weekend in June, so I may just pop my head back in here around that time and hopefully I can keep up with you!!)

Thanks again - so much. Regardless, I'll be cheering you on!

Trish, awesome! Can't wait to see how you do. Remember to do your best and go at your own pace.

As for me. I just finished Plyometrics, jump training. I'll be feeling it in my legs tomorrow morning. Reminded me how Xtreme that work out is. I'm looking forward to Arms and Shoulders. These are called the vanity muscles. I wonder why? Lol.

- Rich

Platoon Member 256

Regards,

Rich

Update: My legs are not sore! I guess the running I did the last month got my quads, glutes, and calves used to it. The last month I have been running 3 - 4 miles, two to three times a week. I'm so glad. With all the squats and lunges done last night, I really believed I'd be more sore. However, I'm really feeling the DOMS in my back and chest from Monday nights workout., especially my lats. Feels great, I enjoy DOMS, reminds me that what I'm doing is working.

Tonight I have a meeting after work, then I'll be hitting my basement for Arms and Shoulders. Its going to be great!

Supplements taken last night

60 grams of Whey Protein - GNC Wheybolic Extreme. 6 pts.

L-Glutimine.

Both help with building and muscle recovery. Repairs in the muscle fibers used during workouts.

Have a great Wed.

-Rich

Platoon Member 256

Regards,

Rich

Arms & Shoulders completed last night. I was drained. I did not start my work out until after 8:30 PM. I'm not use to working out that late. The first set of shoulder presses and curls felt like razor blades. By the second set, I was into it. Goes to show you that stretching and warming up are VERY important. And the cool down is just as important.

Tonight. Yoga X. I'm not that flexable, but looking forward to it. I sweat doing Yogas as much as if I'd be doing Plyo.

Platoon Member 256

Regards,

Rich

I used to do Pilates a lot when I first started WW, and I am not that flexible, nor was I then, but when I got into it, it seemed to help that a lot. Plus, I felt like it created lean muscle, so I can't imagine what Yoga X would do! Reading your P90X journal is so motivating/encouraging! I can't wait to move into my new house so I can read your posts and go work out myself! :)

I have to say Rich, really enjoying reading about your experiences. DH and I have been talking about this for a while, and I felt the only way I would be able to do it is if I got active first (which is what I'm doing now). Hopefully after summer we may start this up. Exciting!

206.5 | 202 | 150

Mini Goal: 5% 196lbs

Trish, thanks :)

Goddess, seems like you and DH are on the right track. If you can, find or borrow a copy of the DVD's. "Try before you buy". You'll get an idea of what the program is all about. Some like it, some don't. I like it because of the intensity.

I usually keep the volume low on the TV and crank my ipod on the stereo. If I need some instructions from Tony Horton, I'll put up the TV a little bit. Tony can be a bit annoying and corny. But he gets the job done. keeps me pressing the "Play" button.

UPDATE: I spoke to soon!!!. Feeling the DOMS in my hamstrings and glutes. I thought I had been spared. Seems the Plyometrics from Tuesday night tore more muscle fibers than I thought. Oh well, its a nice reminder that its working.

For all who don't know what DOMS are, it stands for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Its the soreness you feel the next day or even more two days later, hence delayed. I enjoy DOMS, makes me feel like I'm doing something right. Just need to be careful during the next workout. Make sure to stretch and warm up. Get the flood flowing to the muscle group you are going to be working out.

Platoon Member 256

Regards,

Rich

YogaX last night. Worked up a good sweat. DS started doing it with me. He lasted 5 mins. "Dad, I can't breathe" LOL. It was kind of cute. I was stiff as a board, but loosend up as the session progressed. I did pretty well until the last set of complicated balacing poses on one leg. LOL. I guess my core balance will improve over time. At least I hope. :)

Well, tonight I'm driving to NYC to take my cousin, whos been with us fro 6 mths helping us with the twins, for her last weekend. I'll also be taking my older DS. The twins will stay with my DW. She's 21 and wants to go out. All my friends are in NY and they are single, so I know she'll have a good time. I'll do legs and back tonight before driving to NYC. Tomorrow, I'm thinking I'll go for a run 3 - 4 miles. I'll drive home Sunday morning after breakfast. So breakfast with Mom, dinner with DW and the kids. Action packed weekend. Planning on clean eats with an occational drink. No beer here, don't need the extra calories. I'll stick to hard liquer to keep the bloating down.

Have a great weekend.

Rich.

Platoon Member 256

Regards,

Rich

Rich - you're a beast! Way to go on round 2! Keep up the great work!

I've been away from these boards for a long time, but I haven't slacked a bit on the exercise or much on the diet. I'm still floating between 170 & 174 depending on my diet! I'm holding off for the winter season to do P90X a second time (I did it winter '08-'09). This past winter I had loaned out the dvds so I just did other training - mostly Men's Health workouts. For as long as I can remember, I've been doing various Men's Health workouts/weight routines 2-3 days a week and running 2-3 days a week. I like the flexibility of choosing my workout/run intensity each morning.

Clif #125

SW 01/01/07 (235#) - LW 12/03/07 (165#) = 70# gone; CW = 171.6# (down 3.4 since 01/01)

"Some people go through life standing at the excuse counter. Get out of line. "

My Picture Show

I'm itching to read your weekend update and your exercise regimen today! Post up, friend!

Hi Trish, happy belated mothers day. Hope you had a special one.

Busy Busy morning. Financial markets up this morning so I was very busy since 7:00 AM. Justr calmed down and had lunch. Baked Cod with roasted sweet patatoes. My company provides catered lunch each day, just one of the benefits here. Keeps us in the building and in our seats for 9 hours. LOL.

Friday after work I did legs and back. Friday, I was still a bit sore from earlier in the week, but I pushed through. Once I was done, I was packed and ready to drive to NYC to see my parents. i took my older DS while the twins and DW stayed home. It took about 3 hours to get there. NY traffic $ucks.

I woke up Sat morning and went for a 3 mile run. I did not have the Kempo DVD with me, so it took me a bit longer to complete 3 miles due to the high winds on Sat. Holy smokes, running into a 20 - 30 mph head wind feels like I was pushing a 100 lbs shopping cart. But I finished. Sat night went out in NYC with some friends, gosh i miss my old town. It was a lot of fun. Got home at 4AM, slept a couple of hours before driving home to spend mothers day with DW. It was low key cooked her a nice meal and relaxed.

Today, Week 2. Chest and back again. Looking forward to it. One of my favorite programs.

Have a great Monday!

-Rich

Platoon Member 256

Regards,

Rich

Hey Rich, just curious how many APs you are earning for some of these exercises?

I'm close to borrowing these P90x DVDs from someone, may tryout a workout or two to see how they are. I expect some serious toughness and am shaking in my boots! Working out now to condition myself so atleast I'm not too winded when I do them! Looking forward to reading your updates!

Ru

206.5 | 202 | 150

Mini Goal: 5% 196lbs

I usually give myself 5 - 6 activity points. I'm good at consuming my allotted points, 28. But, I do struggle to consume my activity points I actuially forget I have them. Thats bad, but it keeps me in check.

Awesome!! I'm really glad you are going to try out the DVD's. iw ould recommend CardioX, Core Synergetics and Ab Ripper X. It makes 8 min abs look like a walk in the park.

-Rich

Platoon Member 256

Regards,

Rich

Thank you very much for the belated Mother's Day wishes! I did have a wonderful day, but how couldn't one enjoy a day catered to them? Ha! I'm sure you feel the same on Father's Day. Always nice to be appreciated.

WOW, those are some serious APs for an "exercise DVD". I am helping out my friend tonight at her house b/c she has been driving to Tally to see her mom who is in cancer surgery recovery and hasn't had the chance to clean. She also happens to be the friend who has P90x (complete coincidence!) so I will see if she will let me borrow them and I'm am seriously pumped about trying this out! Reading your updates has motivated me to try these DVDs and possibly ask for them for my birthday in August. Or maybe in 5 year anniversary in June! ha

I have only been to NYC once, when I was 13, so I didn't get the full experience. I am no longer a "clubber", but I'm sure there is so much to do in NYC besides that. I have all sorts of fantasies in my head about NYC thanks to "girl" movies like You've Got Mail, Something's Got to Give (though, that is more so in the Hamptons), and the Devil Wears Prada (I hated the "movie" but loved all the fashion and bistro-like settings along with art museum, etc.). I have always wanted to visit one of the "Shops Around the Corner" or to go to a low-lit coffee shop to read, or to visit a real art museum. I am hoping that will be a "treat" once I reach goal, to walk the streets of NY and take in all the sights and feel like I'm in one of those movies. Reading that, I can see why guys snore through girl movies - because girls get WAY too caught up in them, but I digress.. haha

ANYWAY, back to point.. I checked out your before and after pictures and WOW. Just wow. That is an amazing transformation.. your DW must be really proud of you..and btw- that SO explains the twins. BWAHAHA!

Thanks Trish, I'm looking forward to your P90X report. You may like it, you may not.

DW likes the fact that I'm into fitness. She is really struggling and gives up to quickly because as we know, results take time. I've recommeded this site multiple times, but it seems that we are not on the same level. But as you know, weight and woman are a touchy subject. So, I'm just waiting for her to make her own decisions. Either way, she's and amazing wife and mom. I make sure to let her know that as often as I can. Us men may think one way, but when it comes out of our mouths, comes out so wrong.

NYC has something for everyone. You do find small shops, small cafe's, very chic restaurants. such as Buhda Khan, you'd recognize it from the rehearsal dinner scene in the "Sex in the City" Movie. And yes, woman like those do exist there. LOL. Just like Paris, London, and LA. Its got its own vibe.

I grew up in Queens, which is the bourough on the other side of the East River. Born and bred New Yorker. Worked on Wall Street for 15 years, and yes I was there for 9/11. Saw it happen and lost many friends. After that happened, I just looked for an excuse to leave NY, so I got a job doing what I was doing in NYC down here in Philadelphia, so here I am 5 years later. We love it here. But I still love my NYC. My parents, sis, cousins, BFF's are all still in NY, thats why I'm always going back. I'm not into clubs these days, but its good to let off some steam. LOL.

Platoon Member 256

Regards,

Rich

MY friend burned P90x for me yesterday! I have them IN my posession at this moment. Stoked! I know I won't be able to complete a full course, because out of shape isn't the word for what I am, but I will do my best and try to complete as much as I can until I am fit enough to do it all. I will push forward!

Rich - I have never seen an episode of S*x in the City.. or the movie for that matter. HA I have heard of the restaurant you are talking about, and the fashion part of SITC does intrigue me, but DH doesn't approve of those shows. HA He thinks I get too wrapped up in celeb gossip anyway, so I try to avoid them if possible. I am currently sneaking episodes of Housewives of NJ, and I sop it up like you wouldn't believe. I mostly eye-roll it, but I think, goodness, if I just had the opportunity.. geez.

So sorry to hear about those you lost during 9/11 - I will never forget where I was that day and how I felt when I heard the news. I was a senior in high school in rural Kentucky and we ceased classes to watch the news. I remember someone saying we were at war, and my heart sunk, but I had no idea what was going on until we turned on the television. We were all crying and praying and just astonished at what was going on. All I could think of were those people in those buildings. So glad that you were able to escape/were unharmed.

As for DW - you definitely can't push her. DH "lovingly" sabotages me as often as possible by telling me he loves me how I am just fine.. and sometimes I fall for it. HAHA I would love for your wife to join on in to our daily thread if she is ever up to it. Let her know that she has "friends" waiting for her whenever she feels she might be ready. We would love to have her!! It is hard for women, especially with Hollywood pushing the ideas/plastic surgery/perfection/airbrushed mags in our face. I am a fan of when Plyby magazine was tasteful and real and have bought DH the entire collection on DVD (you can "read" the old magazines in an Adobe Reader on CD.. it's pretty neat), and I am just disgusted at how they portray "real" women in this magazine now. It's all airbrushed and ALL of their bios are 34-26-34. It's pathetic. You aren't beautiful or thin unless you have D cups and wear a size 0 - how many NATURALLY sized 0 women have you seen with naturally D cups? Zero. But we are expected to look that way. It's hard to be a woman! Especially one with children! Hollywood makes it seem that you should pop out a kid and within 3 weeks have your body back better than before. WTH?

/soapbox

BTW - where is your P90x update today?! :)

Hi Trish,

LOL, my wife is all about SITC and all those shows. She DVR's them and watches them when she has down time. I don't watch that much TV. maybe an hour before bed and its usually the Discovery or History Channel or if the Phillies are playing, I'll watch them. I'm familiar with the daily thread you mentioned. You girls have a great support system going. That Awesome!! And I hear you regarding DW. Thanks for the insight I'll be here when she's ready and will let her know about your thread. When she brings up the subject of course. LOL. I do most of the cooking at home, so I try to keep meals lean and healthy. After 10 years of marriage, she likes my cooking, and she does the dishes. When there are healthy options here at work I take them home for dinner. She has enough to worry about looking after 3 boys. 2 still in diapers.

P90X update. Yesterday I had a cub scout committee meeting, so I did not get home until 9:00 PM. I leave my house for work at 6:00 AM. Very long day. I still hit the basement for Chest and Back. Dinner was a protein shake. I couldn't stomach food last night. I was too worked up and did not feel like eating right before bed. So I had my shake, took a shower, went to bed at 11:30. I was still pumped, so I had to unwind a bit before I feel asleep. DOMS are not so bad now. by Week 4, I should be ready for the second stage and a whole new workouts. Bring it!!

I'm doing Plyo tonight. Tomorrow, I'm taking my older DS to a carnival. its wristband night. $20 and he gets to ride everything as many times as he wants. Better than paying as you go, it can really add up. So because thats right after work, I'll be getting up at 4:30 AM to do Arms and Shoulders.

This weekend is going to be a challenge. Going Camping with DS Cub Scout pack. So it'll be camp food. Not good. Going to have to pack a personal cooler with healthier options. I'm not crazy about hamburgers, hot dogs, and baked beans. We'll see. Gotta hit the market and see what I can take.

Ciao

-Rich

Platoon Member 256

Regards,

Rich