Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Guest LeeBeeJeebies

Running a Mile

Guest LeeBeeJeebies

How long do you think it should take to run a mile? I'm pretty much a beginner in terms of running...

It took me 12 minutes and 52 seconds to run a mile today, and I was so excited to have done it! What's a good goal for running a mile? Any hints on how to "get there"? Should I go for speed or distance in terms of weight-loss over a period of time?

Congratulations on taking up running... it is something that I have loved doing over the past 15 or so years... some months of the year I run more than others... but I have never given it up completely.

I think your speed will depend upon your fitness level, your weight, your age, and the length of your run. When I run short (fewer than 3 miles) I run faster than when I run longer lengths. If I was to time myself running only a mile I would run a lot quicker than I do on my normal 3 - 5 mile runs.

I would suggest that you try to add time to your runs, gradually, which will translate into distance... rather than try to get faster running only one mile at a time. I think that will be more favorable toward your weight loss goals.... there is a limit though, because when you start to run longer runs... ie. 10 milers... you will get more hungry... I would say, for weigh loss purposes, keep it under 7 miles and you should do fine.

runnersworld.com is a great web site for information. Have fun!

Lifetimer for life!

wecanbegintofeed.blogspot.com

Guest LeeBeeJeebies

Ohhh wow! I didn't even realize that you would get hungrier on longer runs. I mean...haha...I guess that makes sense! You're burning so many calories that you are naturally more hungry! I just never thought of that!

I really appreciate your advice. I will definitely go for distance rather than speed per se. Thanks for the website too!

Lee - Have you ever heard of a C25K? It's a nine-week program to build yourself up to running a 5K. It starts really slow and each week gets harder. The first 6 weeks are mostly intervals (walk/jog). There are lots of podcasts available that have it timed out for you. So it tells you when to start walking and when to start jogging. I'm on week 6 and I love it. You can just goggle C25K or there is info on www.coolrunning.com too.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

Guest LeeBeeJeebies

Yes, I've definitely heard of it! I am doing something similar right now. I am in week 5 right now. It's not C25K, but it's similar.

First of all, congratulations! Doesn't feel great to say you ran a mile? The first time I ran a mile (well, first since high school), I had about the same time -- high twelves. I was sort of making up my own training program as I went along. I would alternate between running for speed and running for distance. One day, try to improve your mile time. Next day, go a little slower and try to improve your distance. I'm still following that logic, in a way, except now on my speed days I run a 5K for time, and on distance days I try to work up to 7 miles.

My only advice is to keep it up, and pay attention to your stride. Try to find your natural rhythm. Don't reach out too far with your feet, just let them fall naturally. You'll see what I mean. Once you get there the miles just fly by :-)

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png