Health Discovery Network
gingit

What is "pot cheese"?

Someone will correct me if I am wrong I am sure but I believe it is Farmer's cheese near the cream cheeses in supermarket

Sue

163 SW/164 CW/145 GW

This is from Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt, but in this case, I believe this to be correct info... enjoy!

Pot cheese

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to:navigation, search

Pot cheese is a type of soft crumbly, unaged cheese. It is very simple to make and also highly versatile making it a very popular cheese but it may be hard to find in stores. Pot cheese is in the midway stage between cottage cheese and farmer's cheese. It is somewhat dry and crumbly but with a neutral, creamy texture and is very high in protein. It is most similar to cream cheese, ricotta, and the Mexican queso blanco.

In Austria, Topfen (pot cheese) is another name for Quark.

It is traditionally cut with a sun-shaped object known as a cheese cutter.

Cindy

I wish WW would make this perfectly clear to us (and give us some brand names to look it up by)! I asked this question several years ago, and was given similar answers. Based on one brand of farmer's cheese I found in the store, pot cheese is not farmer's cheese. The nutritional stats for the farmer's cheese I found were closer to normal cheese than they were to fat free [Core] cheese, so I decided that I couldn't count it as Core. I'd love to find a palatable cheese that is Core - now that Wal-Mart has stopped carrying Senora Lupe's Quesadilla Soy Cheese, and it's no longer available in the area. :(

Just read your link to Quark - Quark actually sounds a lot like Yochee - yogurt cheese.

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

Thanks, everyone. I agree about wishing for a better SF cheese option. I'm not supposed to have cottage cheese because of the high sodium, and I hate fat-free/soy hard cheeses. Oh well, that's what points are for! (For low point cheese, I LOVE the reduced fat Jarlsberg sold at Trader Joe's. 50 calories per slice and doesn't taste it.)

Other than Senora Lupe's (and FF Feta), I haven't found any Core cheese that I like. Even other soy cheeses made by the same company that makes Senora Lupe's didn't taste good. Next time I'm at TJ's (it's 2.5 hours away), I'll try to find the Jarlsberg. I did find some 75% reduced fat cheddar by Cabot Cheese Cooperative (I think that was the company). I can find the 50% reduced here, but not the 75%. It was amazingly good for a low point cheese. It really frustrates me that the grocers here get rid of so many of the good options. Our county has LOTS of very overweight people, and I can see why! Sorry for venting. I probably should just find Senora Lupe's online and see if I can order it and freeze it. But it seems that those sorts of options are SO expensive - what with shipping, etc.

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu