Health Discovery Network
ShaySquared

Low-Fat Meat Options (ie., sausage)

Does anyone have any recommendations for low-fat meat options that aren't soy-based? My husband (who doesn't need to lose weight) doesn't care for the soy-based meat products like Boca hamburger crumbles or Morningstar Farms veggie dogs. I can eat them when I'm making something just for myself, but if I'm making a dinner entree for us to share, he doesn't care for those substitutes.

I've found some great recipes that call for low-fat or fat-free sausage, but I can't find anything that's not meatless.

Any suggestions?

Shannon

----

Pre-pregnancy weight: 182.6

Highest pregnancy wt: 205.0

Goal #1 - 10% of highest pregnancy weight (18 lbs)

Current weight:169.8

Goal #2 - 165.0 lbs

weight.png

Guest krey945

This isn't for sausage, but I have used a huge portobello mushroom as my "meat" on a sandwich before. I have even seen and had it on a menu while eating out. It actually makes a great non soy substitute. As for sausage, I know for sure they have some "veggie-meats" that have soybeans in them, but its not the base at my local health food store i.e. Whole foods. If you have one of those available, just ask an employee, its in the freezer section.

As for your hubby being willing to eat your substitutes, I give you props! My husband refuses. I would always end up cooking one of "my type of meat" and another with his. Soo I choose to just buy extra lean turkey sausage or beef, and just cook one meal. I dont have time to cook two meals each night. In fact, I dont know anyone who does.

Good luck!

Thanks! Those are great suggestions. My husband hates mushrooms, but that would be a nice option for me. I love portabellas!!

Shannon

----

Goal #2 - 165.0 lbs

weight.png

Guest WANNALOOZIT

I'm jumping in here, but have a question. Shannon, are you a vegetarian and are looking for only meatless low-fat options? Or are you just looking for low point meats to try?

Guest shihtzuX2

Have you tried the Jennie-O turkey sausage and turkey burgers? I have a picky husband, too, and he'll eat the turkey sausage, but not the burgers, who knows why. He'd never, ever eat a Boca burger, either.

Guest shihtzuX2

Have you tried the Jennie-O turkey sausage and turkey burgers? I have a picky husband, too, and he'll eat the turkey sausage, but not the burgers, who knows why. He'd never, ever eat a Boca burger, either.

Hi! I'm not a vegetarian - I love meat! I just am trying to lower points, and can't often find low-fat meat options in my store.

Shannon

----

Goal #2 - 165.0 lbs

weight.png

Guest WANNALOOZIT

Shannon,

We recently tried turkey bratwurst and I thought it was delicious! 4 points per link for the Honeysuckle White brand. I like brats, but regular ones are so high in points. We also tried ground turkey in Sloppy Joes instead of regular hamburger and that was really good too. You may be able to make these things and no one will even notice the difference.

Christi

I second the Jennie-O Turkey burgers -- they're great! I also like Hebrew National fat-free hot dogs. For one point they can't be beat. Wal-Mart has some chicken sausages that are absolutely delicious. They're called Bistro Sensations, and they come in 5 or 6 flavors. They're about the size of a regular bratwurst, and most of them are three points.

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png

Guest WANNALOOZIT

Blackbeard - Where are the chicken sausages located at in your Wal-Mart store? Freezer case? Fresh meat? They sound really good!

Guest WANNALOOZIT

Thanks Blackbeard! I'll look for them the next time I'm at Wal-mart.

I couldn't find Bistro Sensations at my Wal-mart, then did an online search at Wal-mart's site. They don't carry the product in the entire state of Oklahoma. Also couldn't find a web site for the company, wanted to see if they supplied any other stores here, no luck so far.

Dandy

SW:340/CW:183.2/GW:130

It's not enough to want it, you have to want it enough.

weight.png

Guest WANNALOOZIT

That's a bummer! I wonder if they carry them in Missouri? Guess I'll see when I get there.