Health Discovery Network
pyccku

Is it normal to lose NOTHING even when staying OP and exercising?

I joined a gym in late April. I have been working out 4-5 times a week during the school year, and then 5-6 times a week once summer vacation got here. I've been keeping track of my points. There was a two week period when I was in Hawaii where it was tricky to do that (hard to keep track when you're eating out so much, but I did my best - I tried to make healthy choices, and ate lots of salad and fruit), but I definitely got exercise while I was there, walking and swimming every single day.

I came back June 22 and hopped right back into the gym routine. I do strength training twice a week (not a lot of it, the trainer I saw for my initial consultation said I needed to focus more on cardio to lose the fat since I probably had enough muscle, it was just covered by the fat), and cardio 5-6 times a week. I started out in April really pushing it to do 8 minutes on the elliptical, but now I do a minimum of 28 minutes, usually more - intervals with resistance. I also do Zumba twice a week, 45 minutes each time. I started out struggling to make it through the class but now can do it and I'm working on pushing the intensity a bit. I even tried cycling (spinning) a couple of weeks ago and made it through the class without having to stop for a break.

I've noticed a few changes in my body but not nearly as much as I expected. It's been 3 months now and I haven't lost a single pound. Not one. I notice that my clothing is fitting slightly better, but only a little bit. I've noticed that while my calves used to hurt doing the samba in Zumba class, they don't anymore.

But that's about it. And I'm thinking - all of that work for what? I could deal with the scale not moving IF I were seeing smaller clothing sizes or something noticeable. I am not seeing that, though.

I've been working pretty hard - cooking fresh foods, more veggies than ever before, not buying the junk, watching portion control and earning those APs. It just feels like this isn't really working and I need to change something to jump start things.

I've lost before on WW - and always before I've lost without doing nearly as much work! I would walk the dog at a leisurely pace and do more prepared foods and yet steadily lost .5-1.5lbs per week. I had really thought that by the end of the summer I would be down about 10 pounds or so, or in a smaller size. Nope! It's disappointing to say the least.

SW:233.0 CW:233.0 GW:160

I'm sorry that the scale isn't moving! Some things that popped into my head:

1. Have you gone to the doctor to be tested? You might have problems with your metabolism or thyroid (like PCOS) which might make losing weight harder to do?

2. Are you weighing/measuring and journaling everything you eat, every single day? Are you staying OP?

3. Are you following the Good Healthy Guidelines to make sure that the foods you eat are balanced?

4. Have you tried switching to Simply Filling for a week or two to see if that shakes things up?

5. Are you eating your weekly points and your activity points to make sure that you don't shut down your metabolism?

I don't have too much else to add. It's been my experience that when I follow the program properly, I lose weight (not every week but the general trend is always downward). However, if I don't journal, I never lose weight. I am usually a fairly heavy exerciser, yet I gained quite a bit of weight this past winter/spring, even though I was working out *at least* 2 hours every day. It didn't matter how much I exercised if I turned around and ate more calories than I burned. I would have been better off not exercising and focusing all my energy on what I was eating-- at least I wouldn't have worked so hard to wind up gaining weight because I ate too much. I usually cook everything I eat from scratch, don't eat junk food, etc. but you can still gain weight eating healthy food if you're eating too much of it! At your current weight, there's really only two explanations for why you haven't lost any weight in the past three months-- either there's something medical going on or else you're not being honest with yourself about how much you're eating. Either way, we're here to help!!

Kimberley

Well there is that theory that adding muscles weighs more then fat.

Which seems to bear truth in that you say

I notice that my clothing is fitting slightly better

And it is true, well according to a dietitian ( all eighty pounds of her ) my doctor ordered me to see , that the fat cells we lose over and over and over are always there and apparently they weigh something.

If i was you i would see my doctor immediately for a serious examination and to document what is happening then ask for a follow up in three months so that he/she can see what is going on with your metabolism.

Joined Feb2001@323.6

Life Time Achievement -Feb 2002 certificate signed by www Founder

While it's true that muscle weighs more than fat, that's not going to be a real factor here. You'd have to be doing some *serious* weight lifting to gain even a few pounds of muscle in 3 months. Other factors like increased fluid retention, lactic acid build-up, etc could be a slight factor, but nothing to explain not losing any weight in 3 months. Too often I've seen people post that they don't want to lift weights or exercise too much because of the "muscle gain". After the first week or two when the inflamed joints and water retention from muscle repair are over, the weight loss usually spikes to make up for that and proceeds from there.

Kimberley

When I was in my "losing" stage of WW, I once went for 6 weeks with no loss - sometimes the body just doesn't want to give up the pounds. Don't get discouraged. The program works and you just need to have patience. Best wishes.

Lifetimer since April 2001

195/135/150WW

Yeah! I finally went down something this morning - not a lot, just .6 lbs - but at least that is SOMETHING.

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15. I did have a check-up with the dr last year and they tested all sorts of things, and he didn't say there was anything horribly out of whack. He did suggest less white bread and boring carbs since PCOS sufferers tend to be insulin resistant - but my insulin levels were OK, so no treatment was necessary on that.

I'm usually eating my WP or my AP - not both, because I'm just not that hungry. I'll try eating everything and see how that goes. I am journaling and measuring, and even if I'm off just a little bit here or there, it's probably covered by the AP/WP that I'm not eating. I may also try doing the Filling Foods for a week or two, although I have to say that's pretty close to what I've been eating now. I did Core in the past and did lose quite a bit, so maybe that's just better for me.

I try to be conservative on my APs earned. When I do elliptical, I can track the heart rate, as well as set weight and age. If I do 28 minutes, that generally comes out to be 300 calories per the machine. Since 28 is the minimum and then I do 15 minutes of strength training on those days, I am counting the whole workout as 3 AP. For Zumba, it's 45 minutes - I used the AP calculator but they don't really have Zumba (or at least they didn't the last time I looked) so I used jazzercise instead and came up with 3 AP per 45 minutes.

I plan to also take my measurements and track those, since WW offers that now. I was looking at my stomach last night and it DOES look like some of the belly has gone away - just not enough to change my overall waist size to the point where I can fit into a smaller size.

SW:233.0 CW:233.0 GW:160

Hang in there!! It's just a matter of keeping at it until your body falls in line. Switch up your food and exercise. Switch up when you eat (more in the day, less at night). Be a detective and figure out what will work for your body. PCOS will make things difficult but it can still be done!

Kimberley

Please don't get mad at me for this post.

Attending ww meetings as a LifeTime member and trying to lose the same 100 pounds over and over it has been my observation of the ladies attending and staying for the full meeting that is takes longer for women to lose. ( OK start heaving the rotten tomatoes . )

I recall one women in tears after trying to lose for more then six weeks with point one and point two up and downs.

But she was a feisty lady and finally she broke thru that plateau and then there was nothing stopping her.

Our leader always tells us to never give up on ourselves. She said we may not see a lose but at least it is not a gain. One day it will go down.

When that lady lost weight after more then six frustrating week there was a cheer and a shout from all that were there at that meeting.

Joined Feb2001@323.6

Life Time Achievement -Feb 2002 certificate signed by www Founder