Health Discovery Network
Guest WANNALOOZIT

Milk - 2% vs. Skim

Guest WANNALOOZIT

What are everyone's thoughts on this????? Skim milk and 2% have the same amount of points, so do you really need to sacrifice the taste of the milk by having the Skim if 2% is the same points value? What's everyone think???

Not sure where you got your information. In looking at the WWer materials both online and written one cup of 2% milk is 3 points, one cup of nonfat milk is 2 points.

That said I use 2% because all I do is splash it on my cereal.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Guest WANNALOOZIT

I'll have to do some refiguring....I know my WW book at home shows 2 points for 1 cup of 2% milk!!!! I also thought I figured all the types of milk using my WW calculator, but maybe I did something wrong. If it is 3 points per serving, then I've been miscounting for awhile. I'll have to do my homework tonight! Thanks!

I checked both the Pocket Guide, which I carry with me, and the POINTS Tracker (eTools) on the WWer website. They both said 3 points for 1 cup of 2% milk. I know 1% and nonfat are the same points, but 2% is higher.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Christi-I had to gradually work my way down from whole milk to 2% to 1% to Skim. It took a while but I think doing it slowly allowed me to get used to each milk being "thinner."

I mostly use milk in my cereal and only a 1/2 cup so it doesn't make a huge difference. However when I use it in a recipe or smoothie every point counts. I hate drinking my points so I stick with skim to lower the points.

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

I use 1% milk instead of skim - same points value, but I can use skim if need be.

Mary

40 year old mom to Abby and Lily, ages 5 and 2

CW 216 SW 245 (2004) LW 185 (2006)

Love skim- the lower you go, once you get used to it the other stuff tastes too creamy. Under P+ it appears that skim is 2 and both 2% and 1% are 3 pts- at least in my etools.

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

My "Complete Food Companion" (Canadian edition, if that makes a difference), has skim milk as 2 points per cup, and 1/2%, 1%, and 2% as 3 points. Whole milk is 4 points per cup.

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

Somehow, when I started WW, I misread the info about 2% milk too, and came to the same conclusion - it was something about the way the columns in the book lined up. Fortunately, I discovered my mistake early on. When I switched to Core, I couldn't believe that I'd ever actually LIKE skim milk, but I have to say I've gotten to that point. Occasionally, I'll have 2% in tea, but for drinking (and my dairy), it's skim. Sometimes, if I want to add some richness (or to avoid too much liquid before bedtime on days when I've not gotten my dairy in earlier), I will mix skim with ff powdered milk. It's pretty good.

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

Guest sodacracker

always drank skim - my mom switched us as kids. For us 2% tastes too fatty and whole milk is like cream. My kids have known no other and I was reminded of that tonight when giving a glass of milk to DS's friend, who took a sip, looked puzzled and then left the full glass beside his plate :bcb_smile.

If you 50+ and aiming for 3 glasses a day, 6 points for dairy is nicer than than 9 :bcb_wink3