Health Discovery Network
alamoe

Quick and easy lunches for a busy mom of 3?

I've been eating the WW meals but there is a certain limit of microwaveable foods. Does anyone have any good quick and easy meals I could make for lunch. I find myself taking bites out of my kids lunches. EEk!

Hi there! I have a few standard lunch ideas...

Arnold Sandwich Thins are awesome with a couple of slices of 97% fat free luncheon meat, peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes (or your favorite veggies) or hummus and your favorite veggies or Laughing Cow cheese and a hard boiled egg.

I make my own bean burrito's with a high fiber tortilla wrap, salsa, fat free refried beans and lowfat sour cream. A big salad with leftover chicken and fat free feta plus all your favorite veggies. Bulgar or spaghetti squash with a 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce makes a quick lunch too and one of my new favorite things: microwave a sweet potato until soft and top with a 1/2 cup cottage cheese. I know it sounds weird but the combination is delicious and very filling.

Cindy

Hi Cindy. Thanks for the wonderful tips and ideas. It's hard, like even today, I don't know what to make for myself. I've been really into turkey burgers and making them on my own, but am trying to find a new recipe but no one has responded to the blog. I also wanted to ask you what tortillas that you use? I can't seem to find the La Tortilla Factory tortillas anymore at my SHoprite so I bought the MIssion Carb ones b/c they have high fiber. Thanks again.

I 'm afraid I'm not going to be very much help with this! I'm not "sold" on any one brand of tortilla's and since all my local stores seem to carry different brands, I usually just choose on the fly when I need to buy some. Currently I have Bandarita Large Flour tortilla's in my fridge. They are 110 calories, 1 gram of fat and 3 grams of fiber making them 2 pts each, but they're huge. One bean burrito (with tomatoes, lettuce, onions, cilantro, salsa and a little lite or fat free sour cream) makes a big filling lunch for 5-6 points depending on the beans and the quantity you use.

Sorry, I don't have any idea about turkey burgers either... I have bought frozen ones at Sam's Club before but haven't made my own.

Good luck!

Cindy

Here's a quick and easy bean salad recipe--I often take this for lunch, as it is very filling:

1 (19 0z) can 3-coloured beans

1 can kidney beans

1/2 onion sliced thin and quatered (I use the purple one because it is pretty)

1 apple chopped coarsely (I like the Granny Smith the best for this)

Rinse beans, and combine everything in a bowl. Whisk together 1/3 c. olive oil, 1/3 c. white wine vinegar, and 3-4 of those small pkgs. of Splenda (or Sugar Twin). Pour over beans. Cover and let sit for a while.

The longer it sits, the tastier it becomes, so you can eat it over a few days.

Sorry I don't know the points on this... but it makes several servings, and I'm sure it must be pretty low. If you use a slotted spoon, you will leave a lot of the dressing behind--and points.

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

Alamoe - I use any brand fat free refried beans for my bean burritoes. Love refried beans and they are low, low points!

Cindy