Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lissa

BLACK BEAN BROWNIES - 1.5 POINTS

Guest Lissa

BLACK BEAN BROWNIES

Don't these sound awful? Well, don't let that scare you away. These are very moist, fudgy brownies. No one can guess the secret ingredient.

Non-stick cooking spray

1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained

6 egg whites or 1/2 C fat free egg substitute

4 oz unsweetened chocolate

1 Tbsp. light

2 C sugar

2 Tbsp. instant coffee powder (regular or espresso) You might substitute vanilla if you don't like coffee.

3 Tbsp all-purpose flour

1/2 C chopped walnuts (optional)

1 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9"x13" pan with nonstick spray.

Blend drained beans and 2 egg whites (or 1/3 of 1/2 C egg substitute) in food processor or blender until smooth. SET ASIDE

Place chocolate and light butter in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 60-90 seconds. Stir every 30 seconds until smooth. SET ASIDE

Combine bean puree, sugar, flour, coffee powder and remaining egg whites or egg substitute in a mixing bowl. Beat until well combined. Blend in melted chocolate. Pour mix into pan, sprinkle with walnuts.

Bake 30-35 minutes.

SERVINGS: 30

------------------

Lissa in southern California

336.6/306.1/140 - 30.5 pounds gone!

Lissa's Weight Loss Odyssey

"I've come too far in life to take orders from a cookie!"

Guest Jennifer Alcott

OK, I have a question about the brownie recipe! I made the brownies last night using the following version of the recipe:

BLACK BEAN BROWNIES

Non-stick cooking spray

1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained

1/2 C fat free egg substitute

4 oz unsweetened chocolate

1 Tbsp. light margarine

2 C sugar

2 Tbsp. vanilla

3 Tbsp all-purpose flour

1 tsp. baking powder

(I eliminated the walnuts and used vanilla instead of coffee.)

I loved them! However, I was wondering if it would be possible to substitute the 2 cups of sugar with artificial sweetener (0 points, right?) and some sort of no/low point "filler"--more black beans, perhaps? Or applesauce?

I have NO experience doing lowfat/low sugar substitutions. I really liked these brownies, but would like to try to eliminate most of the 32 points that the 2 cups of sugar adds to the recipe (1 T of sugar=1 point, right?) without sacrificing too much of the flavor and texture of the brownies.

Any suggestions?

Guest nakeddaze

I agree ..2 cups of sugar is an awful lot ....any suggestions ? i would love to try these but the sugar is too much ...

I think Splenda can be substituted for the sugar in a 1:1 ratio. For example, 2Cups Splenda would equal 2Cups sugar. You can get bulk splenda at www.splenda.com.

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Guest jmjgtodd

I made a batch of black bean brownies using a different recipe (from the Stealth Health book). I love the idea, but I could definitely taste the beans??? Did anyone find that they could taste the beans? I would love to make this again . . .

------------------

Joni :)

162/Lost 6 lbs pre-WW

OP since 6/21/00

156/151/141(WW)/130

Guest Jennifer Alcott

Outer-banks-girl, thanks so much for telling us about Splenda! I had never heard of it, but I'm going to order some!

jmjgtodd, when I made the brownies using the recipe I posted above, I could not taste the beans at all. My husband was shocked when I told him what was in them--he had NO clue, he just thought they tasted GREAT. He sucked about 90% of the batch down like a Hoover vacuum cleaner over the course of about 3 days! (He lost 40 lbs. on WW and is in maintenance mode--I sometimes have to give him gentle reminders about moderation, portion control, etc.) smile.gif

Guest Jacqueline

Made these yesterday. They were a hit! Be careful, you may not be able to stop with one! smile.gif Jacqueline

Guest RinaMT

I made these over the weekend and tried lightening them up a little... since the posts about the 2 c. of sugar... here's what I did. I used cocoa instead of baking chocolate (3 tbsp cocoa & 1 tbsp oil per oz substituted) and instead of the oil, I added applesauce. Then I used 1 c. applesauce in place of 1 c. of sugar and I didn't add the light margarine.

Well, they weren't perfect. I think I'd go back to the 2 c. sugar but keep the applesauce and cocoa. They were very moist, a little "beany", but with a dollop of ff cool whip they were great. I think they needed the sugar. If anyone else experiments, please let us know. I'm going to try again... hey, I ate them, you know! rolleyes.gif

------------------

160.8/133.6/132ww/128pers

194 pg in Feb. (5'1")

"If you're going to have a big butt, have a GREAT big butt!" Keeps me exercising! :)

These are great! I substituted 1c. of splenda for 1 c. of the sugar and I think it was a little sweet. I think next time I'll only put 1/2 c. of regular sugar and the splenda. Thanks for the recipe!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

This is a wonderful recipe, and it shocks people who eat it, because you cant taste beans.

Definately needs to move to the top!

(I know for members who joined in 2001 or 2002, these oldies are new to us!)

Jamie<br /><br />"The deepest personal defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become." <br />-- Ashley Montagu

Guest Denise02

I just wanted to say thanks for the recipe. It was great. I did it with subbing the cocoa and oil for the choclolate. It was well liked at our house.

It will definately be on the to make again list. I did not find them to taste beany at all.

Denise

What if you only subbed 1C Splenda and did the 1C real sugar? Might help maintain the structure and taste of the brownies better than if you used all Splenda. Just a thought......and then you could cut out 16pts. too! :D

JeanetteSki

I tried these this afternoon, and they are delicious! I used cocoa powder and light margarine instead of the chocolate (which I did not have in the house), but I think it made the recipe too "cakey". Next time I will use the real thing. And I will "neglect" to mention the secret ingredient to my son, for the sake of peace.

Gaining Momentum and losing weight!