Health Discovery Network
Sandylee

Cold Weather Exercise

So I like to walk outside but here comes the cold wet weather. And the dark. I still will get out there as much as I can but it won't be like the freedom of spring and summer.

So what is everyone doing for colder weather exercise? I heard kettleballs are a great workout. Walmart has them for less than $20. I am space in the living room for my treadmill but that will have to wait until the holidays clear out. I have some WATP dvds but what fresh new dvds do you all like? Share please.....I needs ideas. What is working for you?

Sandy

Joined WW 02/02/02

Lifetime 04/05/03

sw 165.4 cw 165.4 gw ??

Little by little, one travels far.....J.R.R. Tolkien

Guest 2Asmom

I personally like TurboFire. It really gets my heart rate up. And I love kickboxing anyway. However, it's not the best if you have carpet. You can't pivot your toes as easily as you should.

I am going to a gym right now so I don't do much at home anymore. However, I still love Cathe Friedrich's Butts and Guts DVD. I also recorded her Upper body pyramid workout off cable TV and I use the two of those to get a total body workout. You need handweights and a balance ball so that might not be economical if you don't already have those items.

I have lots of the WATP DVD's and really like them also. If they are too easy you can add handweights.

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

I've got a treadmill and weights in my basement. That requires a bit of an investment. But plain old situps and pushups do a lot and require nothing more than 6 feet of open floor space as do most exercise videos.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

FIT tv has an whole bunch of exercise programs - I love Gilad. What is nice is that you can try out a lot of different types of exercise and find out which ones you like the best.

I have my Wii Fit and I also have an elliptical. I switch between the two but I really love my Wii fit :)

"Perhaps it's that no one can take your mojo. You can look around all you want, but what you're really trying to find is on the inside."- Austin Powers

-Weitchen :bcb_bigsm

Guest ShrinkingKaren

I almost only work out inside. If you are in to walking, I hear WATP DVDs are great. But like someone else suggested, try Fit TV to see if something else works for you.

Do you have any friends who belong to a gym? See if you can get a guest pass and try out some classes or equipment. Maybe you'll find something that works for you and be motivated to join yourself. Also in December/January you can usually get some great deals on gym memberships.

As for DVDs: TurboJam, 30 Day Shred, and Zumba are my favorites.

What alot of great ideas. Thanks so much. I wish I could join a gym but finances prohibit that right now. I have really enjoyed being a memeber in the past. I have free weights here, treadmill, some dvds. I think I am leaning toward the kettleball and some new dvds. I have WATP ones which I like, I just want to branch out some. I don't FitTV is on my lineup but probably I can go online and check out some different programs. I think a shred one is a great place to start. I am kind of excited about switching up my routine.

Sandy

Joined WW 02/02/02

Lifetime 04/05/03

sw 165.4 cw 165.4 gw ??

Little by little, one travels far.....J.R.R. Tolkien

My gym membership pays for itself in the winter. I love my gym because it is a very basic setup. No pool, no steam room and no other ridiculous features that I will pay for or never use. I could never justify spending $40 a month on a gym membership but I can absolutely justify $20!

However, now that I have a newborn I obviously don't have the freedom that I used to have. We have been doing a lot of outdoor walking with her stroller but that will be coming to an end soon. I plan to replace that outdoor walking in part with mall walking. I always used to equate mall walking with senior citizens, but I think it is a great idea for anyone who can resist the temptation to shop. As a SAHM I also appreciate the opportunity to get out of the house. Be aware that the mall doors open long before the stores do. Store employees need to come in early to open their stores, after all. When I worked in the mall the senior citizens would always come and get their walks in before the stores even opened which meant they didn't have to navigate around the shoppers. I always thought it was a good idea!

Shelly

SW: 199.0

CW: 172.2

GW: 150

However, now that I have a newborn I obviously don't have the freedom that I used to have...

Nor will you ever again. I mean, just in case you were wondering when.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Nor will you ever again. I mean, just in case you were wondering when.

Haha! My husband keeps saying that it will get easier. I keep responding that I think right now is the easy part!

Shelly

SW: 199.0

CW: 172.2

GW: 150

One of my at home routines is YOGA. I got to class, but have a mat at home and do yoga in the am to get my blood moving. Then through out the day I strike balance poses when I am doing something that requires just standing and working my hands for instance (dishes, cooking, reading email, etc). I imagine I look kinda funny doing tree and washing dishes or stirring oatmeal but it works!!

MO Platoon Member #184

This is for life.... :bcb_march

SW - 237.8 (March 16, 2006)

10% goal - 214.8 (5/18/06)

Lifetime goal - 184.0

Lifetime goal: 11/30/06 @ 183.2 lbs

WW lifetime membership: Jan 11, 2007

Current WT: 179.2 (5/5/2012)