Health Discovery Network
Super Bowl XLI

My WW Dirty Little Secret: Diet Soda & Sugarless Gum

SuperBowl - you are my diet coke inspiration. I a slowly cutting it down with a drop dead date of March 9th (the beginning of Lent). I am glad to hear you do not miss it. For me, it is the "nectar of the gods". My substitute will be unsweetened iced tea.

With perseverance, even the snail made it to the ark - Charles H. Spurgeon

weight.png

Just wanted to report in that I had a diet coke over the July 4th holiday and ended up pouring half of it down the drain. I think I have officially lost my taste for it. So glad to have kicked this habit. Now onto undoing some other bad habits....

weight.png

Way to go Quinny!

I had my last one on January 16th. Don't miss it at all either. In fact, if presented with a chance to drink and the only option is a diet soda (or some form of pop), I'd rather go thirsty at this point. I see that glass and all I see is 8 ounces of chemicals with some liquid mixed in. Who wants that?

I have been off my diet Coke for 15 months now. I gave up aspartame because I just don't think it's healthy. I have even gone as far as to buying my gum at a health food store, as all gum in stores, has aspartame in it.:bcb_grrrr

Overall, it hasnt been bad, but I have missed my diet Coke. But lately, it's been horrible. I have wanted one so bad. To the point that I debated just having one, and I have began to question how long I will be able to go without drinking it again. But...I just haven't been able to allow myself to have one. Its been a struggle. Occasionally, I do have a regular Coke. Actually, Coke is my favorite, but I don't like the calories. That's why I drank diet Coke for years, and before that, it was Tab.

I am fighting the urge. I don't think I will give in because I would feel guilty, but it sure sounds good!bcb_sad

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Trudie -

I haven't had a piece of licorice in over five years (since I started WW in June 2006). And, I used to eat it all the time - sadly, often a bag at a time, in one sitting.

I know, someday, I'll have another piece - because I did enjoy it, even though it is not the healthiest choice out there. And, when that happens, I'm not going to beat myself up over it - as long as I don't pig out.

If you want a diet coke that bad, have it. Just one isn't going to kill you. After all, that's what WW is all about - helping us control our weight without making any food or beverage 100% off-limits.

Trudie - I have had the occasional one here and there since March. I was just surprised this weekend when I ended up pouring it down the drain. The taste is different once you are away from it. I found the first couple of sips somewhat enjoyable but didnt want the rest. This is a HUGE change for me. You may end up feeling the same when you just give yourself the one. It looks so tempting in these hot summer days to have an ice cold one but a couple of sips maybe all you need. I agree with Superbowl, here and there it is fine. I am just glad to be off the addiction of it. I no longer NEED it or crave it the way i used to. I noticed in Trader Joes they have soda made with stevia - never tried them but maybe some day.

weight.png

Thanks Quinny and Superbowl!

I know I could have one, and who knows, I may very well not even like it. I have heard others also say that it didn't taste good after being off it so long.

There's just been a lot of diet Coke cans being cracked open around me lately and sometimes, it even causes me to salivate. Crazy, I know.

I love that nothing is off limts on WW. It's a personal decision I have made for myself to get off the aspartame. If I do give in, I won't beat myself up over it.:bcb_wink3 Thanks Buddies.

Now 5 years without licorice. That'a a long time. I love licorice, twizzlers and red vines. When you are ready Superbowl, you will have some again. I have no doubt that you wouldn't even want a whole bag like the old Superbowl did.

Trudie

Thanks Trudie. This is one of my WW meeting room shared horror stories - that I never, pre-WW, came out of a store without something to eat. It could have been the pharmacy, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, whatever. Stores that you normally don't associate with food - but who always have snacks by the register. And, usually, it was a big bag of Twizzlers or Nibs for me. And, I would eat them in the car, the full bag, and I'm talking the family size big bag, before I got to my next stop - even if the stop was just 10 minutes away. I was soooo bad with this stuff. I guess that's why I treat it like it's poison now...and haven't had it since I started WW in 2006.

Sounds like a food you probably should stay away from. Funny how quickly a bag can go. I would EASILY eat at least half a bag. Still, it's a trigger food for me. I have to eat it with caution. I have to tell myself what my limit is. Usually, 6 pieces (2 servings) and I have to put it away, where I won't see it. I rarely buy it because it's hard to leave alone. I have picked up a bag many times, just to set it back down again, because I knew I wouldn't exercise discipline eating it.

Trudie

well my dls is to put a quarter in machine and get handful jelly bellys, sometimes 2 quarters. its only at this 1 place out of the way. I could buy a bag or a big bag at Sams but it would be not a pretty sight.

Quinny I really enjoy my sun tea un-sweetened but I had a diet root beer tonight, really good and tasted creamy.