Health Discovery Network
LillieG

Interesting Words about Meeting Reduction

Our WW center has recently closed a few meetings. I was asking my leader if that was because of the bad economy, and she said it partly was, but more about the face that WW has found that when meetings get too small and cozy people don't lose as much weight. It sounds as though the familiarity almost lets people feel they are off the hook - maybe like letting yourself go in a marriage? That goes with my experience. I've done best in the huge meetings with lots of members, although I've never thought of it like that before. When I'm in a meeting with a lot of people who are really working the program and getting the results, I'm more inspired - wouldn't do as well with 10 people who were "sorta" doing it. In fact, I might feel embarassed by any success I had.

I think the fact that the receiptionist and leaders get compensated in a per-head, per-product sale, commission basis may have something to do with this too. Bigger meetings mean more fannies in the seats, more product sales, etc. But, I could be TOTALLY WRONG on this too - so, take it FWIW.

That said, there is more engery in the room with more people - and that's good. Nothing worse than being just one of three people attending a meeting - for you and the leader.

That is interesting. My first WW meetings were as part of a group of about 15 in a WW center. It was an early morning meeting and I LOVED IT!!! We all thrived because we would come early, weigh in and then walk around the parking lot for about 30 minutes and then the meeting would start. We were small enough to know each other's names but we also had enough members to keep the conversation fresh. I don't think people would want to hear my story more than once or twice. WW cancelled that meeting because it didn't have enough members and I was so upset. There were no other early morning meetings that I could attend.

My meeting now ranges from 10 to 40 people. Alot of people weigh in and leave. I think that is because the meeting begins at 6pm but people stop by and weigh in after work and then want to go on home. I don't feel cozy in that meeting and doubt I ever will. There are some great people but there are more that get on my last nerve.

I had no idea that the receptionists and leaders got a commission off the number of members and product sales. Duh! for me but I have never even thought about it. We did have a sub leader a few years ago that pitched products through the entire meeting. I should have caught on then.

I love the excitement of new members and their happiness when the weight is coming off. I also love new member's perspective and their questions.

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

When I was the most successful at my WW meetings, the room consisted of 20 or less people. I loved it that way because I knew everyone and we were all sort of like friends. I don't think being in a room packed full of strangers would help me any more than the one I went to. I guess it's to each their own! I'm not the kind of person who likes big crowds, so maybe it's just me?

HW 251.8 SW 237.5 (03/18/13) CW 225.8 (4/15/13) GW 165 (tenative)

My meeting is pretty full, but my leader does a great job engaging all of the members of the meeting. People also tend to sit in the same areas so I have gotten to know the faces of some of the people that always sit on my side of the room, especially the cute grandmas that love to coo at my baby.

So for me, it isn't so much about how many people are in the room but how well the leader does engaging the whole group in the meeting.

Shelly

SW: 199.0

CW: 172.2

GW: 150