Health Discovery Network
CW

CW's Weelky Meeting -- Tough time of the year to Start WW?

I've just rejoined inorder to get myself back on track and to learn the newest improvements to WW's program.

What I have read about ProPoints so far sounds smart and exciting. I will be going to Meeting Next Sunday to get busy with it. The good news is I'm already down in weight this week. I weigh in later and will report in....

This is from and article about ProPoints and seems to validate something that I know a lot of us have always questioned......

Healthy vs. Empty Calories..

Recent research has revealed that successful slimming is not simply about counting calories, but about how quickly your body processes different nutrients — and which healthy foods help us to stay feeling satisfied for longer.

For example, did you know that your body can burn up to 25 per cent more energy digesting proteins and fibre-rich foods such as wholemeal carbohydrates and vegetables than it can processing ­sugars and fats with the same nominal calorie value?

So while under the old system a ­chocolate bar and a steak might have had the same points value because they had the same amount of calories, under the new ProPoints system your steak would have fewer points because your body uses up so much more energy processing it.

In other words, the better the food is for you, the more energy your body can burn digesting it and the more of it you can eat.

It really is that simple, and, insists WeightWatchers’ dietician Zoe Hellman, this new weight loss plan will make shedding pounds — and keeping them off — easier than ever.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1326447/Weight-Watchers-Pro-Points-plan-A-new-approach-dieting-success.html#ixzz15vFrtAes

• Who is going to go and get started with this? I will be very impressed with everyone that gets busy with their health now.
  • Is it harder to be OP during this the time of the year... (or is it really just always tough?).

I will check in later...

CW

AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202124

C W I drank WW Kool aid a long time ago. I trust their sciences. It makes total sense that we need to focus on healthy foods rather than you can eat anything you want as long as you have the points for it. I know that was not totally the message but it was there for some.

I know change is scary and I did a lot of reading on the WW staff site this week to get myself ready for members questions.

I say if you need a new start, if you need a kick in the pants? Or if you are open to change, Come back to WW and re invest that $39.95 in yourself. It's the best idecision I ever made in my life.

"For example, did you know that your body can burn up to 25 per cent more energy digesting proteins and fibre-rich foods such as wholemeal carbohydrates and vegetables than it can processing ­sugars and fats with the same nominal calorie value?"

BINGO! I have learned so much about nutrition over the past 3.5 years. There was room for improvement in the current program. I am glad WW has realized this. One thing I have learned, it's not ALL about weight loss and a certain number on the scale, it's about being HEALTHY!

To answer one of your questions, no, it's not always tough to stay OP. The Holiday baking and festivities brings it's challenges. With good planning and some discipline, staying OP over the Holidays is doable. But you have to want it.:bcb_wink3

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

I am in- Have been journalling for a week again and going well- not sure if will join meetings again- but looking forward to anything new- but still many people lost weight on all the previous programs. ONly thing is I am all for...chocolate. Lost my weight last time eating choc every day. Another important factor is being happy. the ww thing about not depriving yourself is what sets it apart from the low self esteem plans that make you want to punish yourself. We should celebrate ourselves at any weight we are.

Arlene

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

Just got back from Weigh In - Down nicely! :strong:

The Leader was Pumped about the new program. She has been doing it successfully and is dying to start teaching it.

She said something interesting, as well. All Leaders and Receptionists (that work retail hours) now are required to be certified on the new programs. That's gives even more credibitlty points for going to meetings....:salut

CW

Good job CW.:bcb_up I had to look at your B4 & After and your January 2010 avatar pic. You look great. I hope you don't have too much to lose.

Hey, how 'bout them Packers!:bcb_smile

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Thanks Trudie

I have a way to go but I never stop trying.... That Avatar Pic is from 2006

Vikings and The Packers....good game so far...

I'm a fan of the old Black and Blue Division. Packers, Bears, Vikes, are all favorites. I live near Indy so I pull for the Colts (as long as they aren't playing against the Bears :bcb_bigsm).

CW

Okay, I'm convinced. It will be worth the $$ to rejoin and stick with the meetings long enough to learn the new plan. I'm assuming that one meeting will not be enough to really understand the plan. I'm one of those who was guilty about using points on foods of questionable nutritional value. I'm better than I was, but when I first started out I bought the cheese twists and WW cookies every time I went to a meeting. I still do have the odd piece of chocolate (1 pt. worth) but rather than having cheese twists and the like, I buy FF rice pudding, FF yoghurt, and FF butterscotch pudding (all 1 pt.). At least I get a few nutrients from those.

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

Is it tough to stay OP this time of year? Yes! For me its all about the entertaining. My husband and I are "home bodies" and healthy eaters for the most part. We don't like fancy that much, so usually sit down to a dinner of broiled fish and salad. But all of the parties offer things we don't see very often and can be very tempting. Appetizers are my downfall. As well as anything with cheese. Oh, and chocolate dessert. So, I will be finding it tough. I know though, that if I'm not OP, I'm going overboard and if I don't want to gain back the 25 I've lost this year - something I could easily do between now and Christmas, hard as it might be to believe- I need to be OP.

OK, I am in. I'm a lapsed lifetimer and have been floundering for the last several months. I'm not sure that I will go back to meetings, but I am interested in finding out about the new program.

The last couple of weeks, I have been upping my exercise again as well as eating mindfully. I am down about 5 pounds since then.

I suppose this time of year is somewhat harder to start a new eating plan, however for me, it's tough all the time. I am married to a really great guy who is thin, very fit and very much into junk food. He also shops, so brings it into the house all the time. We rarely eat the same things as well, so there are always 2 different meals to be made. (He DOES do much of his own cooking though).

I know I've done it before dealing with his "stash" of junk, but lately it's just been tougher to deal with. Why? I have no idea, but I have to get this under control again.

Ann

SW: 158.6 Dec 2010

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

Ann, You nailed it. Control is the issue. Having a safe environment can be just that.... safe, but it is not the way the real world works (at least my corner of it). Your needs matter more than your wants.

Your recent losses show you the answer. Do good things and good thing will happen.

CW

I'm here! And I have to say that I haven't been totally OP for a while. The weight came off but then came to a stall and anytime I actually tracked it wouldn't go down. I've been going to meetings but not really doing the program with my full heart and soul. And when I heard about the new program, I thought "why would WW make me wait weeks for something that they know will work?" I gotta say that I'm really quite aggravated that they have this new plan and haven't told us what it is yet. Why even tell us? My leader said they weren't really going to start marketing the new plan to people who aren't already in ww (like commercials and stuff) until the day after Christmas..... Anyway, I'm ALL for the new plan, I just wish they didn't hold off on it!

I have to say that this time of year is EASIER for me to stay OP, or at least to stay MOTIVATED to be OP. I gotta look good in that little black dress for all the holiday parties! I have a very very pretty one that I fell in love with from H&M. They no longer make it, and I haven't seen anything quite like it before or after, but you can take dresses in (as opposed to making them bigger). THAT is my motivation to stay OP for the holiday season!

How am I doing it? well, currently i'm rocking at the maintenance thing. I've been between the same 5 lbs for a LONG time now. And i'm not trying to do this- I still have about 20lbs to lose before goal. BUT looking at the bright side....it's better than gaining! And i've decided to start running. This time, my asthma's under control finally and I have no excuse. I'm starting THIS WEEK- on Wednesday morning. And I will continue the full 8 weeks. My leader keeps talking about all these cook 5k's around and there's a group of WW who do them together. I want to do the st. patricks day one. To prove to myself that I can do it. To prove that I can run like I did when I was 16 and doing field hockey. So, C25K HERE I COME!

weight.png

Hi CW and all,

I don't think I will rejoin right away to learn the new program. This is mostly because protein and vegetables is how I operate right now. I support you in your efforts to learn the new system and look forward to hearing more about it. Thanks for the updates!

MO#83

I don't think I like the word 'tough'. I prefer to think of it as a challenge. To me, if staying on plan is tough, it's hard. If you think it's hard, it will be. If it's a challenge, then it seems more like something you need to buckle down & tackle head on, something you can win. It may take some effort, but you can do it, and with pracitice it will get easier.

This particular time of year isn't more difficult for me except for one thing. Working in an office, the increase in goodies that start showing up from clients as well as employees is something I have to work harder to handle. I don't deny myself all of them, but I make sure that when I do partake, it is within the plan.

Other than that it's not that much more difficult. There are temptations all year long; birthday parties, get togethers with friends & family, showers, company functions. They never end. The challenge is to deal with them no matter what time of year.

Dandy

SW:340/CW:183.2/GW:130

It's not enough to want it, you have to want it enough.

weight.png

Anytime is a tough time to start if you are not in the right mindset. I rejoined 6 weeks ago and am looking forward to the changes. I don't know if they will be applicable to me or not since I have a medical condition that requires me to eat low fiber and low fat meals. Many, many foods are not allowed on my eating plan, foods that are high on the desirable list for most people.

In 2001 when I joined up with WW's, I did really well and breezed through the holidays including a 4 pound loss on thanksgiving week. My mind was set, I planned what and how much I would eat and I stuck to it. That is what I plan to do again this year.

My main problem is that I am a compulsive emotional eater. I am really struggling right now due to the fact that my 36 year old daughter and 2 year old grandson have moved back home and it is a huge adjustment for me. Due to my medical condition overeating causes me to feel very nauseated and miserable. I would think that this would be enough to curtail my eating but I still have that desire to eat compulsively, it makes no sense what-so-ever.

I am not giving up.

DEE:jump_jack

Dee,

I have been finding some comfort and guidance at Overeaters Anonymous meetings. It and WW complement each other well.

MO#83

C W I like the avatar you have right now better than the newer one.

Ann you probably heard this from me before but while I was in losing mode I considered walking PAST My DH junk food part of my daily exercise. I can walk past anything now. I do treat myself once in a while but feel better without the treats.

CW, I love the online weekly meeting idea!

Dee - "any time is a tough time to start if you are not in the right mindset" - that is me in a nutshell. Like anyone else I have good periods and bad periods. Planning and tracking are the two things that define my good periods, though.

I will say that a "new" program is a good kick to get back on track and doing something different. I appreciate the focus on healthy foods, which is not unlike my old leader a few years back, who used to talk about doing the flex plan and counting points, but eating mostly off the core foods list.

Terri

SW: 309.8 / CW: 265.8 / Next Goal: 253.0 / WW Loss: 44.0 lbs

I think it's a great time to join. Especially during eating season. lose weight rather than gain! I am very excited for the new plan and can't wait to go to the un veiling Sunday morning!

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

I agree with the idea that it is always challenging to lose weight, no matter what time of the year. Postphoning doing what we know works is far to often what got us here in the first place!

That said, I am unable to attend live meetings, so I'd be very happy to be part of yours, CW!

/H

HW/Restart 2017-09-18/CW/GW

250/192/194/157