Health Discovery Network
CW

Today is that DAY!!!! Let's get busy!

Bummed out about bulgar - although I must admit, I always thought the points value was too good to be true. Still love the stuff though.

OK online now to my ettols. I do like that alot of things (my favs) were recalc. for me by the program but I have some homework editing or deleting I have to do so I don't think I'll get to a meeting. I have a ?? though for the leaders, if I did go to a random ww meeting to buy a calc. you'd get sort of mad right? I'm not a regular to that meeting and I'm taking away product a potential member could buy... would you get upset by that?

Guest ShrinkingKaren

Hi Guys,

I’m PUMPED that the new program is finally out as well. All of the hype has been getting to me. I met yesterday with my trainer (I’m in the process of training to be a leader). We got the program and all of the materials in as much detail as she could give us in about 2 hours. Now I’m tasked with reading it all and attending 2 more meetings this week to learn the ropes. All of your info has been really helpful to me so I can see what you are learning and the questions/concerns you have. I’ll try to chime in with my understanding when I can as well.

My first concern is the fruit as well. But, I am going to trust WW and see what happens. The idea is that with the POINTS program, if you have 2 points to spend and you had the option of a large apple or a Fiber One bar, you’d often choose the bar but there is more nutrition in the apple. Now, when it’s 0, I’m thinking I will always opt for the fruit. But mindfulness of the amount of fruit or gorging on fruit is something I will surely have to work on. I’m a binge eater and I can even binge on fruit so… that’s my fear.

CW – you can calculate your daily point allowance for yourself if you buy the blue calculator tool they are selling at meetings. It asks you a few questions and tells you your daily target. Or you can just ask them to reclac it for you every week. If you’re in a computer class they target will print on your weight slip each week.

Shelly – Try not to stress yourself out too much. Just do your best to immerse yourself in the changes as you can. The old program works and this program will work even better. As long as you’re following one of them you are doing great for yourself.

Dandy – As the points go up on some things remember that you are getting more points to work with and the fruit is free. So the points you used to spend on fruit can now go to your bulgur and beans. It’s going to be an adjustment for me too, but that’s how I’m trying to look at it.

Guest ShrinkingKaren
On another forum, someone posted an Australian based PDF of the plan with some point values.

Is it similar to this? I'd like to slowly start converting my points now instead of all at once.

weightwatchers.com.au/images/3081/dynamic/GCMSImages/AU_MealPlan.pdf

This looks similar to what I got but it is not identical.

Guest chellybats

I think you're totally right Karen - it'll be easier for us to make healthier choices, but I think the fruit thing will be something for us to control on our own and not go overboard.

This is going to be hard for me, I ADORE fruit!

I wish Canadians could get their hands on things this week, I'm super excited now!

So, WW has a list of the top 15 things you need to know on the new plan. Here it is!

1. You are now following the PointsPlus™ program

We have converted absolutely everything — the foods, recipes and meals in the Weight Watchers database, the information on WeightWatchers.com, the Meeting room books and products, the Weight Watchers products you can buy from the grocery store; everything — to PointsPlus values.

2. PointsPlus values and POINTS® values are not the same thing. At all

The PointsPlus program calculates the PointsPlus values of any food or beverage in an entirely different way from the POINTS program. It takes into account how the nutrients in food are processed by the body. We now use protein, carbohydrate, fat and fiber numbers to calculate a PointsPlus value. Calories aren't in the equation anymore because they don't give us a very accurate picture of how much energy is available to the body from a food choice. It actually takes calories to digest foods - some more than others.

3. Not all the foods in your "Favorites" have been converted yet

When you first logged on to WeightWatchers.com on or after November 29, you were asked to convert (or delete) any foods that you'd created in your Tracker and tracked in that current week to PointsPlus values. There might still be others - marked by a red exclamation point in your Tracker - that will still need converting before you can use them again. Just click on the foods, and you can either enter in the nutritional information from the product label (or from the manufacturer's website); search for a similar food in our database; or delete it.

4. You won't be able to use your "Recently added" foods list for a couple of weeks

These won't be available for approximately two weeks after the switch to the PointsPlus program. This is because the recently added feed uses the Plan Manager tracked data. Since we let you look back at two weeks of your tracking history in your tracker, the recently added section has to be disabled to ensure you don't track these outdated items that use the old calculation.

5. You have a new daily PointsPlus Target

Whatever your daily POINTS Target used to be, it's now higher. The minimum per day is now 29. Don't worry that this will cause you to eat more and gain weight; the PointsPlus values of many foods are also higher.

6. You have a new weekly PointsPlus Allowance

Everyone gets 49 weekly PointsPlus values to use any way you want. Save them up for a splurge, or use a few at a time every day. It's up to you.

7. All fruit, and most vegetables, are free

You don't need to count the PointsPlus values for these items. However, it's important to pay attention to how satisfied you feel when you eat these zero PointsPlus value foods. They do still contain calories. Our research has shown the amount a person is likely to eat following this plan, and we've taken this amount into account in your PointsPlus budget.

8. Fruit (and vegetables) in recipes still contribute toward the PointsPlus values

Just as we've always done with 0 PointsPlus value vegetables, even 0 PointsPlus value fruits contribute toward the total PointsPlus values of a recipe, whether it's a Weight Watchers recipe or one you build yourself in the Recipe Builder. Recipes add up the nutritional info for all their ingredients. If you ate fruit only, save it as a "meal" rather than a "recipe."

9. Filling Foods are now Weight Watchers Power Foods

We took our Filling Foods - those that had a low energy density (that is, a lot of their bulk came from water or air) and that were healthy - put them into categories (such as "beef," for example) and ranked them using a special formula unique to each category. The winners are the Weight Watchers Power Foods. They are they healthiest and most filling foods in the category, and have the lowest energy density, as well as the lowest fat, sugar and sodium content. Just look for the green pyramid.

10. Not all Filling Foods are Weight Watchers Power Foods

There are some foods that, while they have healthy properties, they don't meet all the criteria we set for Weight Watchers Power Foods. Avocados, for example, may have lots of healthy fats in them, but the fact remains that they are simply still very high in saturated fat. And many canned vegetable soups no longer make the grade because of the high amount of sodium they contain.

11. There are no half PointsPlus values

All PointsPlus values are now whole numbers.

12. There is no more Personal POINTS Quiz

We automatically calculate the number of PointsPlus values you need to eat each day in order to lose weight - or maintain your loss, if you are at your goal weight. Every time you log a weight change in your Weight Tracker or at a meeting, your daily PointsPlus Target will be recalculated to make sure you're eating what you should.

13. There are no SetPOINTS (or PointsPlus) values anymore

You won't find these numbers in the PointsPlus Tracker anymore.

14. You can now choose to swap activity PointsPlus values before your weekly PointsPlus Allowance

Previously, your activity POINTS values didn't start being swapped for food POINTS values until you'd used up your weekly POINTS Allowance. Now, you can choose to swap your activity PointsPlus values first, and even choose to "use or lose them," meaning that if you don't swap activity PointsPlus values on the day you earn them, they won't roll over to the following day. Just change the settings in your Plan Manager. Remember that neither can be rolled over from week to week.

15. We no longer offer the Original Tools on WeightWatchers.com

Weight Watchers is always working to improve our user experience. All of your tracking needs are taken care of in the Plan Manager. We also offer tracking on our iPhone app as well as our mobile website that is available on the BlackBerry, iPhone, and Windows 7 devices.

Additionally, i've been told that there are no longer HALF points for anything....

weight.png

Additionally, i've been told that there are no longer HALF points for anything....

Shelly, thanks for posting this. And you did mention the half points, it was number 11. :bcb_bigsm

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

I am so glad they are eliminating half points. I never counted half points when I tracked on paper so I was beyond annoyed when I started trying to use eTools.

Shelly

SW: 199.0

CW: 172.2

GW: 150

I have a question on #8...

I made a spagetti sauce last night. I had it for lunch today and counted it as 1pp it because it's ALL vegetables and had some olive oil and 2tbsp of parm cheese in it. and spices in it. Literally, i made it with 5 cups of small cut vegetables (onion, green pepper, red pepper, yellow and green zuchini) and 3 jars of pasta sauce that is all natural and made from only tomatoes and basil, plus 2tbsp olive oil. BUT it was broken into 5 jars plus whatever we ate last night... (I should say that it was cooked with sweet italian sausages, but i don't eat them at all. Those were put in for DBF).

In this case, do i still have to put the entire thing into the recipe builder and "count" the points for it? or do you think it's safe to estimate 1?

weight.png

Shelly - My personal opinion is it is much better to recalculate everything than to try to guess. Yes, it is such a pain for those of us who have been on WW for years to figure out the new ProPoints values for all of our favorite foods. However, since ProPoints are completely different than Points were I would not risk guessing until you've been on the plan for awhile and are more familiar with the new program.

Shelly

My question isn't about the points value per say, it's weither you should count the points or not, because it's mostly vegetables.

I guess i'm wondering if I should spend the time to "build" it into recipe builder since it IS all vegetables... or just add the point for the oil and cheese in the total recipe?

weight.png

It sounds to me like you should build the recipe. Vegetables in a recipe contribute to the overall ProPoints value, and your recipe contains items other than vegetables so I would build the entire thing and see what the value comes out to be.

Shelly

ok, silly question. I went and bought stuff today, and have been reading and want to make sure I understand.....

If i'm doing SimplyFilling, I know I follow the Powerfoods list. If i'm making a recipe, do i still only count points for food not on the powerfoods list? or since it's a recipe do i have to build the recipe?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Started 5/17/10

Restarted 12/4/2010 (need to get real to get results...)

Starting: 288

Current: 263.5

Goal: 150

Shelley, thanks for the list and I would use the recipe builder just to get back in the habit, for a while at least, just to dust off the keys. Or check out the ww recipe for their simple marinara recipe

ok, silly question. I went and bought stuff today, and have been reading and want to make sure I understand.....

If i'm doing SimplyFilling, I know I follow the Powerfoods list. If i'm making a recipe, do i still only count points for food not on the powerfoods list? or since it's a recipe do i have to build the recipe?

Wendy and Shelley.......

That's my question as well. If I'm doing Simply Filling......do I still need to count the points for veggies and fruits in a recipe. I understand from what I've read, people who have done Simply Filling can continue to do it under the new programme. Just wondering what to do re: recipes containing fruits and veggies.

HERE WE GO AGAIN !! :bcbkickbu

STGoal #1: 200 lbs

Losses to date: 8.3 lbs

So this is the reply I got from Weight Watcher's when I emailed them to ask when the new program was going to be available in Canada.

Dear Ann,

Thank you for contacting us regarding details on a new Weight Watchers® plan.

Although we do expect an upgrade for our website in the near future, we appreciate you understanding that we are unable to share any details about the release at this time.

We apologise for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

I am still scratching my head over this one. I just asked for the date, not for them to give me any deep dark secrets. Geeez.

Ann

SW: 158.6 Dec 2010

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

Guest chellybats

Ann! I got the same lame response too! I re-e-mailed them asking just for the date, not details about the plan or how much the membership is.

I'll let you know if they reply.

Thanks Michelle. You know, this is not the first time I have been really annoyed with WW when I've emailed them. Awhile back, I signed up for WW online and paid for 3 months in advance. I had nothing but problems with their website and the tools. I kept emailing them and they kept giving me lame responses on how to fix the problem. None of them worked, which I explained to them. I kept getting the same form email with a list of "fixes". Finally, I got really mad and emailed their customer service and told them I wanted a refund. Turns out that Firefox, the browser I use was not compatible with their website and etools. They could've told me that at the beginning and saved me all the frustration. I finally did get my refund, but it really soured me on WW for awhile.

Ann

SW: 158.6 Dec 2010

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

Guest Deidre

Ann, a friend of mine here in Manitoba is a WW leader... she said the new program will be released here in the new year.

Deidre

I just got home from my meeting! The place was a zoo, and there was a lot of negative energy from members about the new plan.

I usually go to the Mom & Me meetings on Thursday mornings so I had a different leader than my usual leader tonight. I wish I could have gone to my regular meeting this week but I felt it necessary to get a jump on the new materials so I am ready when my week resets on Thursday.

I am personally excited. So much so that I went ahead and bought the Deluxe kit. I am now running around my kitchen with a sharpie recalculating the points for everything we have and writing it down. (I am also drinking a glass of wine... shh!) I WILL be ready to tackle this on Thursday!

Shelly