Health Discovery Network
CW

Weekly Meeting - New Plan - 11/28 to 12/4

A Different Kind of Change

Article By: Michelle Olson

levelofchange_FD003029_lg.jpg

No matter how you look at it, change is a tough thing to deal with.

Even positive changes can be trying. After all, the word change indicates that you're disrupting life as you know it. When you made the decision to lose weight with Weight Watchers, change is just what you signed up for. But how ready are you for change? And how willing are you to make change a normal part of your life?

A change for the better

You've probably heard your Leader or other meetings members mention all the many changes that you can expect along your weight-loss journey. The first change is accepting the fact that you actually do need to make changes in order to lose weight. But you probably went through a few stages of acceptance before you really committed yourself to making those changes:

1. Initially, you just weren't ready to make a change, and thus stayed at a weight that made you unhappy.
  2. You probably started having mixed feelings about weight loss and the changes that you would need to make in order to achieve that weight loss.
  3. In the end, you decided that, yes, you were ready to make a change in your life because you really wanted to achieve that weight loss.

Just because you reach the point where you're ready to make the changes necessary to lose weight (step 3) doesn't mean that you will never revert back to one of the first two stages. Think of this step back as an attitude plateau. Perhaps you have reached a point where you are satisfied with the way you look. Maybe you have begun to feel that you have the hang of successful weight loss, so you can start to "cheat" a little bit. Or maybe you have begun to have anxiety about losing more weight and the ramifications that further weight loss could have on your life. All of these scenarios can easily cause you once again to have mixed feelings about weight loss.

But there is a way that you can accept the changes that come with your initial weight loss and, eventually, the lifelong commitment of maintenance. Achieving each of these types of change can help:

Environment. The first changes you need to make are to your environment. You need to change the foods you eat and store in your kitchen, increase your activity routine and perhaps adjust your surroundings in order to foster weight loss.

Behaviors. Step two is to adjust your behaviors to better accommodate your new weight-loss plan.

Capabilities. The third step is to learn and reinforce the resources you need to lose weight like motivation, perseverance and willpower.

Beliefs. Step four is to believe in yourself and your ability to lose weight now and keep that weight off well into the future.

Identity. The final step is to ensure that you can see yourself at your weight goal and beyond. Your self image is the most important part of change, since change comes from within. If you don't see yourself as capable of being successful at weight loss, you are not likely to achieve your goals.

Change can happen, and needs to happen, in order for you to really find success in your weight-loss efforts. Accepting all of these life changes could very well be the most difficult challenge of weight loss. But with a belief in yourself and a positive self image, you can get there!

At your next meeting, ask those around you how they facilitate the changes they need to make in order to keep weight loss a continued part of their life.

© 2010 Weight Watchers International, Inc. © 2010 WeightWatchers.com, Inc. All rights reserved.

WEIGHT WATCHERS and PointsPlus™ are the registered trademarks of Weight Watchers International, Inc. and are used under license by WeightWatchers.com, Inc.

AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202124

Identity. The final step is to ensure that you can see yourself at your weight goal and beyond. Your self image is the most important part of change, since change comes from within. If you don't see yourself as capable of being successful at weight loss, you are not likely to achieve your goals.

This is exactly where I fell the last time around. I could not adjust to seeing myself at goal weight. So slowly I adjusted my weight to match my percieved identity instead of changing my view of myself to fit that skinny image of me. Still, I struggle with this. I have an image of myself thin, looking at my reflection in my living room window, wearing a tight tank top and sweat pants, thinking that I didn't look like myself. And i remember being increadiby sad. Every inch of my being was sad. And I find that while I want, crave that body I had then, I identify it with my sadness and loneliness. I need to make an image of myself at goal weight where my mood is not affected by my size. Good thing to work on.

Also this:

All changes are not improvements, but all improvements are inevitably changes.

/Hanna

HW/Restart 2017-09-18/CW/GW

250/192/194/157

This is an older theme but an inportant one. I used to give this meeting when I was a Leader 7 years ago.

Make your Environment safe, it will help you to change your behaviors.

As your Behaviors improve, your capabilities will grow. You will redefine what is possible.

Enhancing your Capabilities will change your beliefs about what you can do.

Changing your Beliefs will positively effect your Identity.

Regain your Identity. You will become the person that you deserve to be.

CW

Hanna, we tend to go to behaviors that work for us on some level. Many of us turn to food or alcohol because it gives us a quick cheep fix. A key question will be what do we get from the negative behavior and how can we get that same fix somewhere else and somewhere safe?

CW

Yes, you are right! (Although, looking at my food bills, this has not been a cheap lesson to learn!) It was just recently that I dicovered that image-emotion connection.

What do I get from the negative behaviour? Numbness (When I eat I don't feel). Punishment (I don't deserve to feel good/be thin). Something to do (Instead of actually listening to my thoughts or feeling my feelings).

Can I get that smewhere else? Sure. I get it from alcohol, and that is why I very rarely drink, it feels way to good. I have also used other people and sex for the same fixes. Exercise can give me the fix too. The thing is, I don't want to exchange one way of escaping with another, however beneficial for my goal weight. I need to learn to accept my thoughts and feelings. And I am doing quite well in finding that way if I may say so myself.

I will say though that replacing the eating with another behaviour is a great idea for someone "normal", ie not with my kina of diagnosis. After all, there are no problems so big that you can't outrun them. Literally RUN.

/Hanna

HW/Restart 2017-09-18/CW/GW

250/192/194/157

Hanna - I think my reasons for negative behaviour are partly the same as you - numbness and something to do. I eat when I'm stressed, and when I'm bored. Frankly I do a lot better when I'm involved with things that are incompatible with eating... like last night, I did very well by pulling out a sewing kit and mending a couple of pairs of pants. It's useful, and it requires both hands.

ETA: I'm not sure I've ever made it to the capability/identity stages before, I keep getting tripped up with behaviour. I'm almost 35 pounds from my highest weight, which is the most I've ever lost, and am having a hard time with motivation and more importantly, with the day to day behaviours I know I need to continue in order to keep losing weight.

Terri

SW: 309.8 / CW: 265.8 / Next Goal: 253.0 / WW Loss: 44.0 lbs

I didn't read all of this, but I want to say that, for me, identity management needs to be more in the middle right after cleaning up the environment, because right now my strong self-concept drives all of my weight-keeping/non-weight loss. I overeat b/c that is who/what I am. That's not fun. Let me tell you. Overeaters Anonymous is helping, but it's not a simple problem. One of my working theories is to craft a new self-concept complete with super powers and super weaknesses. I know deep down if I can get a handle on my identity, then much else will fall into place.

MO#83

I am somewhere between environment and behavior. I don't have trigger foods around me and I do regular activity so that part of the environment is safe. The part that isn't safe is the impact of the economy. It has drastically impacted the balance of my life and I have no control over it. I have to do what I have to do to make a living.

The lack of balance triggers bad behaviors such as emotional eating.

Sigh. I keep praying for balance. And I look for the brighter days ahead. I know they are coming.

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"