Health Discovery Network
LillieG

If fruits really are free on new program

...my guess is that will change within a year. It seems like WW introduces and then backs off a lot of things that are "as much as you need to be satisfied," pretty quickly because we all seem to have a lot of problem with that concept. I'm thinking of fat and fiber from the 90's, and the original CORE program. That said, I'm looking forward to my meeting at 5. Thanks for the info everyone.

Guest ShrinkingKaren

I hope not! I hope it really works. They have been testing this program for 3 years and the results show that free fruit has been working. Time will tell.

I'm guessing that either there's some kind of limit, or LillieG is correct.

The thing about the tests is that those people know they're being tested. I know I toe the line when I know I'll be checked up on. If fruit really is free, my guess is that a lot of leaders will start seeing people every week who say that they followed the program exactly but have no losses.

Jean in Colorado

SW 176

CW 170

WW goal 135.0

GW 122

The future depends on what we do in the present.

Mahatma Gandhi

There is no limit, other than the one we've always had..........let your weight loss be your guide.

As stated, this has been thoroughly tested, and after testing WWer staff have been living the new program for over two months.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Let's face it......no one ever got fat eating fruit. :)

FREEDOM'S just another word for NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE.

Let's face it......no one ever got fat eating fruit. :)

You know, I really hate this quote. And the one about not getting fat eating too many veggies. I got fat because I didn't pay attention to how much I was eating (or I did pay attention, but didn't care). I got fat because basically I just ate TOO MUCH. So, not paying attention to how much you're eating, even for 0 point foods, can still be a disaster.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

You know, I really hate this quote. And the one about not getting fat eating too many veggies. I got fat because I didn't pay attention to how much I was eating (or I did pay attention, but didn't care). I got fat because basically I just ate TOO MUCH. So, not paying attention to how much you're eating, even for 0 point foods, can still be a disaster.

I agree - I grew up on a diabetic cardiac diet thanks to my dad and rarely had sweets as a kid and teen, and I was still 200lbs+ in high school. I did however think nothing of eating 5lbs of broccoli Normandy at a single meal {no I'm not joking} along with 2 steamed chicken breasts and at least 2 cups of rice. Healthy food got me in this mess, junk food in college just made it worse.

Portion control is a MUST for me - I simply don't ever feel "full". I am giving the new program a chance, but limiting my free fruits and veggies to 6 servings a day. Anything over that I'm counting points for. If I start gaining with doing that, then I'll likely go back to Momentum which was working great for me - 12lbs off in 6 weeks.

DD

Starting again in 2010!

HW:293.6

CW:286.6

10% GW: 264.3

weight.png

I am sure that Weight Watchers accounted for zero point fruits and vegetables when they built the plan.

HOWEVER, I do agree that for some people it could turn into a ticket to overeat on fruit. Zero point fruit is built into the system, but it is only built in to be eaten to satisfaction. For those who have trouble determining satiety, portion control will be key.

I personally intend to start out using satiety as my guide. If I find that the program is not working well for me, I may start limiting my servings per day.

Shelly

SW: 199.0

CW: 172.2

GW: 150

I am sure that Weight Watchers accounted for zero point fruits and vegetables when they built the plan.

They did. The Daily Points Target was figured to include about 5 servings of 0 point fruits/veggies. That doesn't mean you start counting points for them after that.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

They did. The Daily Points Target was figured to include about 5 servings of 0 point fruits/veggies. That doesn't mean you start counting points for them after that.

Yes, but 5 servings is a good guideline if you are not comfortable using satiety as your guide. Just as Weight Watchers couldn't stop members from filling up on total junk on the old program, they can't stop members from abusing zero point fruits and vegetables on the new program. They can only give us the tools, we have to exercise common sense to use them properly.

Shelly

SW: 199.0

CW: 172.2

GW: 150

Yes, but 5 servings is a good guideline if you are not comfortable using satiety as your guide. Just as Weight Watchers couldn't stop members from filling up on total junk on the old program, they can't stop members from abusing zero point fruits and vegetables on the new program. They can only give us the tools, we have to exercise common sense to use them properly.

I absolutly agree with Shelly here. I do believe overall it's a step by step process, and it's different for everyone. I personally did not get fat from fruits and veggies, and I don't gorge on them either. But not everyone is me and I am not them, the thing is- you have to know yourself- or atleast be willing to learn these things about yourself so you can determine what works best for you. I too will practice satisfaction (god knows I need to) and will adjust accordingly if I see a negative impact.

206.5 | 202 | 150

Mini Goal: 5% 196lbs

My leader said on Monday "what is the whole concept of WW "moderation and portion contol not Gluttony" - I am thrilled the fruits and most veggies are free, I will now have that 1 bananna to hold me over til dinner that I would not have spent before because i only had 20 points!!

Tracy

SW 155 lbs:rage: 1/10/05

WW Goal 134 lbs :exercise2 5/9/05,

Lifetime at 128lbs :crazy: 6/27/05

CW Recommit 145 :bcb_mad2 11/28/09

weight.png

Most fruits and veggies have been 0 points in the WW programs here in Sweden since over 10 years! The rogram that is now "new" to you has been around here and in other parts of the world for over a year. It works. Trust the program.

/Hanna

HW/Restart 2017-09-18/CW/GW

250/192/194/157

I have found that the new fruit situation has caused me to ask myself more often throughout the day whether or not I'm satisfied. I used to ask myself if I had the points or not. I think I'm becoming more aware of how I feel (especially in between meals) because of the new program. I think this is going to be really good for me.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

Heather I think you have had a huge NSV with that great thought.

First WW nudged me towards water. That worked

I had to learn how much a person actually needs to eat...That worked

Then veggies...That worked

Meetings.. That worked, too

Exercise...that works when I do :bcb_bigsm

now, Fruit...I have had more fruit this week than I've had in the last 6 week combined and I'm down nicely on the scale :bcb_up

You are winning.

The smarter we get the slimmer we get.

CW

AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202124

I am a person who could easily get fat (fatter) eating fruits and veggies. I have consumed an entire 50 ounce can (is that a half gallon size?) of green beans in one sitting. I think it was 240 calories which is about 1/5 of what I should be eating in a day. Eating that can of beans did not stop from eating more food in that same sitting. However, it may have kept me from eating more later in the day. I don't remember. It sounds like that is what WW is going for with the new program. If we can eat more of the filling foods or whatever they are called now, then perhaps we won't eat as much other stuff.

I am not a person who only eats when I am hungry. I am an emotional eater. Until my emotions are satisfied, it doesn't matter how satisfied my body is-I will continue to eat. I am fairly sure that is the case for many, many overweight people.

Having said all that, I have my meeting tonight and I am super excited to get all the info in my hands. I have spent alot of time on etools this week but am excited to get the info in hand. I am going to give the new program my best effort and trust that it will work.

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

Here's my example I shared in an earlier post. Coke: 3 Points. Coke 4 PointsPlus. My smoothie ingredients: 2 cups spinach, 1/2 c fruit juice, frozen banana, 1 c blue berries, 2 cups mix of strawberries, mango, papaya and pineapple, 1 scoop plain protien powder. = 10 Points now it's 5 PointsPlus. I'd say the program is changed for the better.

I felt I was being punished for having that totally healthy smoothie before, points wise. I'd have a Coke everyday, no problem, filling myself with HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup.) Now that it costs me more, I havent had one coke, but have had that nutricious (sp?), yummy smoothie every day this week. It's not to say that I won't fit that coke in every now and then but I am getting that energy need met from the smoothie instead.

BTW, slightly of topic, If you haven't tried "green smoothies" yet, I highly recomend it. The blueberries turn the whole thing a beautiful purple and the other fruits are so strong you can't taste the spinach at all. It also works with kale and swiss chard. I'm sure with other dark greens as well.

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

My feeling is that while we are losing weight, Weight Watchers expects that we are also learning healthy practices and portion sizes. A zero point food is still a FOOD and requires that we are mindful of portion sizes.

All of the above being said then bring on the zero points Fruits and most vegetables. I have practiced portion control since February 2008 and it's become a habit.

This I am ready to handle.

Here's my example I shared in an earlier post. Coke: 3 Points. Coke 4 PointsPlus. My smoothie ingredients: 2 cups spinach, 1/2 c fruit juice, frozen banana, 1 c blue berries, 2 cups mix of strawberries, mango, papaya and pineapple, 1 scoop plain protien powder. = 10 Points now it's 5 PointsPlus. I'd say the program is changed for the better.

I felt I was being punished for having that totally healthy smoothie before, points wise. I'd have a Coke everyday, no problem, filling myself with HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup.) Now that it costs me more, I havent had one coke, but have had that nutricious (sp?), yummy smoothie every day this week. It's not to say that I won't fit that coke in every now and then but I am getting that energy need met from the smoothie instead.

BTW, slightly of topic, If you haven't tried "green smoothies" yet, I highly recomend it. The blueberries turn the whole thing a beautiful purple and the other fruits are so strong you can't taste the spinach at all. It also works with kale and swiss chard. I'm sure with other dark greens as well.

I agree on the smoothies, Fitter Girl. I have a similar recipe: About half to 3/4 lb of fresh spinach, kale and cabbage mix (whatever I have on hand) half a peeled lemon, a banana, a couple cups of frozen mixed berries along with enough water to blend. Sometimes I'll add some other fruits or veggies, but that's the basic recipe. I use a Vita Mix blender. This makes a whole blender full and other family members always share the smoothies with me. I drink at least 16 oz. of them. 0 points and if I drink 20 - 24 oz. in the morning I'm usually not thinking of food til around 2:00 in the afternoon.

The nice thing about these smoothies is that it breaks down the plant matter so it's easily absorbed by your body. Can you imagine how long it would take to chew that amount of greens? So good nutrition and it really fills you up because of the liquid and probably the nutrients.

But there's no way I could eat all 29 points if I drank a couple of these a day. I'd be too full.

weight.png

Returned to WW on 12/2/10, starting the new Points Plus program at 151.5 lbs.

I'm guessing that either there's some kind of limit, or LillieG is correct.

The thing about the tests is that those people know they're being tested. I know I toe the line when I know I'll be checked up on. If fruit really is free, my guess is that a lot of leaders will start seeing people every week who say that they followed the program exactly but have no losses.

I was wrong -- hard to believe, I know, but true.

People did not binge on fruit, and they stuck with the new program. This is an excellent program which is sustainable lifelong.

WTG WW!

Jean in Colorado

SW 176

CW 170

WW goal 135.0

GW 122

The future depends on what we do in the present.

Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks for this retraction. We are seeing lovely losses. Surprising losses on the part of the members. I ask "is this Points plus in action? " They always say YES YES YES.

I think that because of the fiber and water in fruits that you couldn't eat enough to gain weight eating fruit. When I was doing Fuhrman's Eat to Live way of eating a few years back I ate at least 10 servings of fruit (and lots of veggies and beans) every day, simply because it was summer and I love nectarines, bananas, blackberries and peaches. I lost about 2 pounds a week eating that way. But I wasn't eating any animal products either so that might have made a difference. As much as I love fruit, I found that after about the 10th serving, I was stuffed and couldn't eat any more. I didn't worry about quantity and I probably ate a little beyond being "satisfied" but I was eating a lot of leafy greens too.

With the WW diet I'm eating less quantity wise but still including about 4 servings of fruit per day but including some chicken and fish. I've lost 2 pound each of the first two weeks. It'll be interesting to see how it goes after several weeks.

weight.png

Returned to WW on 12/2/10, starting the new Points Plus program at 151.5 lbs.

I am enjoying having the 0 point fruit. I am not one who will graze on it all day, but for me, it can make a difference between going off plan because I am hungry or staying with it. If I have no more points left but feel hungry, I can now enjoy a banana or something like that. Before, if I had that banana and it would put me over, in my stupid way of thinking, I'd figure I might as well have something not so healthy as I was over my points anyway.

It's also nice when I go to a social event where there is usually a fruit and veggie platter. I've filled my plate mostly with veggies and fruit with a small amount of something that looked really delicious. I've attended several parties over the holiday season and have still lost weight! Before, I would avoid even going to a party if I was losing weight.

For me, the zero point fruit is a huge bonus and one that will not set me up for a binge on junk later.

Ann

SW: 158.6 Dec 2010

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018