Health Discovery Network
Super Bowl XLI

Same Meal Plan - Points Vs. PointsPlus

What I ate yesterday - not counting liquids which were all "zero" under both the old and new plan:

Points Plan DPA = 28

3 low-sugar instant oatmeal packets (6 points)

2 bananas (4 points)

2 turkey sandwiches on whole-wheat half bagel with swiss, spinach and tomato (12 points)

2 apples (2 points)

2 vitamuffin chocolate muffins (2 points)

1 cup raw carrot bites (0 points)

1/2 cup of grapes (1/2 point)

1 WW ice cream flying saucer (2 points)

total = 28 1/2 points

PointsPlus DPA = 40

3 low-sugar instant oatmeal packets (9 PointsPlus)

2 bananas (0 PointsPlus)

2 turkey sandwiches on whole-wheat half bagel with swiss, spinach and tomato (20 PointsPlus)

2 apples (0 PointsPlus)

2 vitamuffin chocolate muffins (6 PointsPlus)

1 cup raw carrot bites (0 PointsPlus)

1/2 cup of grapes (0 PointsPlus)

1 WW ice cream flying saucer (4 PointsPlus)

total = 39 PointsPlus

Same exact meal plan under both - and, in the end, it was pretty much the same in terms of using all my points allowed under my DPA.

So, if what you were eating before was working - meaning within your DPA and allowing you to lose or maintain - you should be pretty good under the new plan...assuming you're eating a lot of fruits and veggies.

I have some friends on here who only gained 5 extra DPA to work with. I got 9 more, which is a nice stretch, but for some it's a little more difficult.

HW 251.8 SW 237.5 (03/18/13) CW 225.8 (4/15/13) GW 165 (tenative)

Wow. Only 5 extra more? I could see how that would be a major problem - given how some foods have a much higher point "cost" to them. It doesn't seem fair that they only got 5 extra to play with? You got nine. I got twelve. (And, maybe 12 isn't the right number for me, because I'm maintaining. They warn you that it may take a while to find the right number - so, maybe mine will be 10 or 11 in the end?)

Just a friendly word of advice. You really need to toss out everything you thought you knew about Momentum. You can't look at how many "more" points you are getting. It's like comparing apples and oranges, or better yet apples and ponies. :bcb_wink3 The entire structure has changed. "If" you were eating fairly clean on Momentum, you probably won't change your eating habits much and you'll probably find you're meeting your daily target on Points Plus. If you are having difficulties, either in not eating enough or eating too much, you may need to look at what you're eating. But, don't compare!

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

"If" you were eating fairly clean on Momentum, you probably won't change your eating habits much and you'll probably find you're meeting your daily target on Points Plus. If you are having difficulties, either in not eating enough or eating too much, you may need to look at what you're eating.

Agreed Luanne - that's what I was trying to say. You just said it better! ;-)

I now this is the 3rd time of used this example, but it's my best example of change for the better.

My smoothie ingredients: 2 cups spinach, 1/2 c fruit juice, frozen banana, 1 c blue berries, 2 cups mix of strawberries, mango, papaya and pineapple, 1 scoop plain protien powder. = 10 Points now it's 5 PointsPlus. I'd say the program is changed for the better.

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

I went from 18 points on the old plan to 29 on the new. But not having to count the fruit would have been enough since I like fruit. I find fruit really filling (mostly apples and oranges this time of year) so yesterday, my first day, I only used about 20 points and I was really full.

A few years ago when I was following the Dr. Fuhrman E2L eating plan which is mostly all green stuff, beans and fruit, I ate a ton of fruit and still lost weight quickly. It was summer and peaches and nectarines were in season so I probably ate 9 or 10 pieces a day. Of course I wasn't eating meat, I ate beans instead, so maybe that made some difference. But I was surprised that the fruit didn't seem to put on the weight. Hope this diet works the same way.

weight.png

Returned to WW on 12/2/10, starting the new Points Plus program at 151.5 lbs.

Well, I suppose the world is full of different opinions, and here's mine on this issue. Some people are simply more analytical than others ... and for people who are analytical by nature, it DOES make sense to compare the two ways of calculating.

I don't see it as comparing apples and ponies. In fact, I don't see it as comparing apples and oranges. I think it is more like comparing gravestine apples and red delicious apples. Both programs are WW programs, both are designed to help people lose weight, both have the same healthy guidelines, both involve points and tracking. This may be a matter of semantics, but to me, these are two different kinds of apples.

I think it is easier for some people -- myself include -- to (to quote CW) "leave the past behind and embrace the new reality" -- if we have a more thorough understanding of the difference between what we are leaving behind and what we are embracing. Like SuperBowl who started this thread, I found that, in the balance, the two programs turned out to be "pretty much the same" for me too.

After all the comparisons are done to each person's satisfaction (and your mileage may vary), each one of us still has to make a choice about which program to follow and embrace. And that's okay.

Kos

I don't see it as comparing apples and ponies. In fact, I don't see it as comparing apples and oranges. I think it is more like comparing gravestine apples and red delicious apples. Both programs are WW programs, both are designed to help people lose weight, both have the same healthy guidelines, both involve points and tracking. This may be a matter of semantics, but to me, these are two different kinds of apples.

I agree, Kos. The new plan is like the old one with some needed fine tuning. A big plus for me is that little PointsPlus calculator because it's so much quicker to find out the points of something if you have the nutritional label. It never made sense to me with the old plan when an apple and a cookie were the same point value.

weight.png

Returned to WW on 12/2/10, starting the new Points Plus program at 151.5 lbs.

I agree with Kos. I only got 5 more points but the majority of my usual foods went up so those 5 points are wiped out and I feel like I lost points. It's early in the game and I think I will be able to look back in a few months and be glad I worked through it. I do believe I am going to be successful but I don't like the feeling of having lost points.

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

Wow. Only 5 extra more? I could see how that would be a major problem - given how some foods have a much higher point "cost" to them. It doesn't seem fair that they only got 5 extra to play with?

I am one of the said individuals who only received 5 more points, and I did/do find it more difficult with the points of everything going up. The truth is, even if we are told to forget everything, we naturally feel the need to go to what we know. As Kos said...

After all the comparisons are done to each person's satisfaction (and your mileage may vary), each one of us still has to make a choice about which program to follow and embrace. And that's okay.

Kos

And that's exactly where I am. I rejoined the meetings because I do wholly embrace the new program, but in my head I do wonder about how things are different. And my mileage does vary, but I know every day I follow and track, I get closer and closer to really loving this program. But I won't get there until I get there :)

206.5 | 202 | 150

Mini Goal: 5% 196lbs