Health Discovery Network
Kosciusko

Program Glitch - Lack of Clarity about Sugar Alcohol

Now that it's cold, I like to have a cup of hot cocoa in the evening ... and I use a sugar-free 60-calorie packet mixed with about 6 ounces of water (don't want it too diluted).

In any case, if you use the new calculator, it comes out at 1 point. BUT, this is probably one of those exceptions involving "sugar alcohol" -- so it is probably more. So, the book says to "look it up" in those cases.

I couldn't find Hot Cocoa/Chocolate in the dark-blue-cover main book, so I looked it up in the supplemental Complete Book of Points (forget the title) that came with the deluxe pack ... and it said that Hot Chocolate was 8 points!

Well, sure, maybe a small Hot Chocolate made with milk and Nesquick or something like that is 8 points ... but there is NO WAY my little 60-calorie packet is 8 points. I'm guessing it is more like 2 PP rather than the 1 the calculator says.

But here is my REAL issue. The program really is not yet set up for these kind of things with sugar alcohol. They need a better rule-of-thumb than "look it up in the book."

Kos

On E-Tools, a sugar-free, fat-free envelope of hot chocolate is 1 point. Hope that helps!

Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185

GW - 145

CW - 158

Interesting that the packets aren't in the complete food list--not even in the beverages section! I looked online and the sugar free (or no sugar added), fat free cocoa packets come to one PP.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

SW:231 (12/30/11) CW:223.5 (-7.5 lbs) First goal: 5% (219.5)

On E-Tools, a sugar-free, fat-free envelope of hot chocolate is 1 point. Hope that helps!

LOL, looks like we were looking up the same thing!

That would be great if it is 1 point, which is what the calculator says. But I'm still suspect.

The little packet is sugar-free but not fat-free -- and I'm thinking it probably falls under that strange "sugar alcohol" caveat. There are so many little sugar-free packets out there -- 25 calorie, 50 calorie, 60 calorie -- are these all 1 points if the PP calculator says so?

Oh well, I won't sweat it ... but the program doesn't seem very clear about this point.

Kos

On E-Tools, no-sugar added hot cocoa is 2 points. It is still a little unclear how to account for SF foods that are not in e-tools.

Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185

GW - 145

CW - 158

Guest ShrinkingKaren

I don't understand this point either! Maybe this is a question for that 800 number.

Reasoning that fat is 9 cal / g and pro and cho each have 4 cal/g, if I put in 6 g fat and values of 0 for everything else, I get 2 pp / serving. Dropping Fat to 5 g and plugging in 1 g ea for cho and pro I get 1 pp per serving. if fat= 5 g; cho= 2 g and pro= 0 g, we get 2 PP again, and fat= 5 g; cho= 0 g and pro= 2 g, then 1PP per serving (whew, that was fun!!!)

I would say trust your calculator, since I would think it's not likely that your packet of cocoa has more than 5 g fat? Hard to say without looking at the complete NI and ingredients for what you're eating. (any calories from sugar alcohols would show up in total calorie count and should be included in the cho count so we know that you can't have more than 60 calories total; calories from ethyl alcohol are in the total calorie count but grams of alcohol are never listed)

I think that WW came up with a good list for alcoholic beverages (e.g., beer, wine, hard liquor) -- and that it makes sense to use that list rather than the calculator for those.

I think that WW has yet to come up with a good list or rule-of-thumb for sugar-alcohol products ... and until they do, I'm just going to stick with what the little calculator says.

Kos

I am wondering if there are key words in the ingredient lists that we should be looking for. I am sure "alcohol" would be a clue-HA! but are there other words that mean sugar alcohol?

I use the Swiss Miss Sensible Sweets Diet 25 calorie hot cocoa and the ingredient list doesn't say anything about alcohol. Using the calulator it is 1 point for one package and still 1 point for 2 packages. This kind only has 25 calories, 0 fat, 1 fiber and 2 protein.

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

I am wondering if there are key words in the ingredient lists that we should be looking for.

I'll try and find the list I've seen, but what I remember is sugar alcohols all have "itol" in the name, like sorbitol. I also read on the WWer staff site from one of the program developers that if you use the points calculator for these foods, not for alcoholic drinks, you may only be off a point at most (probably under).

From wickipedia:

Some common sugar alcohols:

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

The list is good in terms of understanding WHAT counts as sugar alcohol ... but it does not address the original issue of HOW to calculate the points for items that contain sugar alcohol.

If the calculator doesn't necessarily work for these items (and WW has said that it may not) and you cannot reliably look up many of the items in the books -- as shown in the original post -- how, exactly, are WWers supposed to accurately know the PointsPlus points for them?

WW is going to have to come up with something more reliable to use, such as either: (1) a rule-of-thumb based on calories or something else, (2) a lengthy, comprehensive list of products by brand that gets updated regularly that people can access without subscribing to etools or online (for those of us who attend meetings), or (3) Acceptance of what the calculator says.

Really ... this is one glitch that they haven't adequately prepared for. Other than that, the program works great.

Kos

Kos, you cannot accurately calculate foods with sugar alcohols using the Points calculator. If you cannot find the food in the Pocket Guide, Complete Food Companion or in eTools, then you can use something similar. I've also read a post from a WWer program developer that members "can" use the Points calculator and use the points found, but they will most likely be a little low. For example something might calculate out to .7 points and round up and be displayed as 1 point, when it really is something like 1.6 points, and should round up to 2. I hope this makes sense.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

I love hot chocolate during the cold weather, it also helps with that "sweet" craving. Instead of the packets I buy the canisters (like coffee) of Swiss Miss No Sugar Added - The Container says WW points 1, but that was the old points, witht he calculator it comes up 2 points. 75 calories, 1.5 Fat, 13 carbs, 2,protein, 7 g.Sugar Less than 1 gr. Fiber. The sugar coms from the milk products. I usually add half a packet of Splenda - It is great evening snack for 2 points.