Health Discovery Network
goddessRu

Confused about counting fruits & veggies in recipes/arrangements

Ok, I know fruits and (most) veggies are 0 pts to satisfaction. So when I eat them alone, or say I add a banana to my oatmeal, they retain their 0 value.

However, in recipes (when you use the WW recipe builder) it adds up to points- which I sort of understand because in combination you may have some calories/fat, etc. However, I don't know where to draw the line- like making tomato sauce from scratch should be 0 but it adds up to points. For an example the new WW garden veg soup is 0 points, but my own vegetable soup (in recipie builder) comes out to 4-5 points!

But the real confusion is in arrangement of foods- like a salad. Do I count points for everything- or just the extra non-0 items? What about restaurant salads? Do I have to count the nutritional for the whole dish, or can I count the non-0 items?

Can someone please clarify? Leaders jump in please!

206.5 | 202 | 150

Mini Goal: 5% 196lbs

Not a leader here but this seems right. I think WW.com has some difficulties calculating the zero points fruits and veggies (some.)

So if you are making a salad and it is all zero point foods I assume it's still zero points. You of course have to eat to satisfaction. It is possible WW sees your salad as more than one serving, your soup too. If you tell them how many servings they may take the points plus count down to zero.

Restaurant salad the same. Eyeball the ingredients and figure out the points plus and it very well may be zero. Eat to satisfaction.

I hear some things are being worked out at WW so maybe it'll happen.

I hope this helps a bit.

I haven't seen the new program, except what is posted on this site.

The free fruits and veggies always makes me think of that show X-Weighted that I watch sometimes. One girl ate a bag of apples on her way to work in the car and wondered if that was ok. - lol. Of course,the answer was "no" - everything in moderation.

Hope they get all the kinks worked out of the new plan.

Ashlee

Be the change that you want to be.

One other thing to think about: We know that, in WW, one plus one doesn't always equal two. So, does this mean, with P+ that zero plus zero doesn't always equal zero?

If you sit there and eat an apple, orange, and banana, all at once in one sitting, in the span of 20 minutes, is it really all just zero points? I find that hard to believe.

So, if it's not, how does that translate to a recipe that calls for 8 apples?

So, if it's not, how does that translate to a recipe that calls for 8 apples?

Well, if the recipe makes 8 servings, then it would still be the equivalent of one apple.

When I put my berry oatmeal in the recipe builder, it came out fine. I had a bunch of fruits in there ... and it listed the value of each at 0. Of course, it made 6 or 8 servings. So the equivalent in ONE piece would have been one fruit.

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

I am not sure where I read this, but I like the logic behind it.

When you eat raw vegetables you are not likely to overeat on them. However, when you put vegetables into a soup, sauce or stir fry the eating experience changes. So, bearing this in mind my personal policy is to NOT count vegetables in arrangements such as salads where it is easy to separate and count the components individually. However, in recipes I build the entire recipe, vegetables included. My homemade tomato sauce is nothing but tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings but I will build the recipe when I make it next (I do not remember how much it yields or this would be done already) and count the points accordingly because it is much easier to overeat on tomato sauce than it is on plain vegetables.

Shelly

SW: 199.0

CW: 172.2

GW: 150

Here is some information I found about the logic behind how Recipe Builder treats 0 point fruits and vegetables:

"It has always been our policy at Weight Watchers to incorporate the nutrients of vegetables (and now fruit) into recipes. Why? A few reasons.

1) Vegetables and fruit add fiber and other nutrients, and without including them it can impact the Points value.

2) Our recipes are often featured in articles and magazines nationally and as a result we need to disclose this info to ensure the appropriate calories and nutrient content are displayed if evaluated by organizations outside of Weight Watchers.

3) Since many non-Weight Watchers recipes include nutritional information these days, we want our calculations to match those you may do for recipes you find in other places. We don’t want to unfairly advantage our own recipes.

4) Once you start combining vegetables and fruits with other foods, you change the experience of eating them. Few people “pig out” on carrots but might on carrot cake. To ignore them in recipes would place our member at risk for abuse potential.

And here are some other thoughts:

You should find the technique that works best for you. There are three ways to figure recipes (described on page 42 of the Getting Started book). If you feel that you have a tendency to abuse certain 0-PointsPlus™ value foods, you can use the nutritional information for all ingredients, sum them and input them into your PointsPlus™ calculator or Recipe Builder online. If you choose to exclude 0 pts foods, you can use your recipe builder, excluding 0 pt foods, or use Simple Recipe Math. As always, let your weight loss be your guide, and work the plan that works best for you.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Guest sodacracker

on the weight watcher site (somewhere) it says that if you use the recipe builder to enter the ingredients it automatically will assign points based on the nutritional information of the food. If you enter the ingredients, one by one, as a meal, if they are 0 points, they will show up as 0 points. They recommend using the meal entry method rather than the recipe builder if you are using all 0 point foods as the receipe builder is not updated yet.

So for an all fruit/vegetable smoothie or all vegetable sauce I would enter these as foods in a meal so they are counted as 0.

Just leave out the zero pt stuff out of the builder and it will calculate everything else.

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

2) Our recipes are often featured in articles and magazines nationally and as a result we need to disclose this info to ensure the appropriate calories and nutrient content are displayed if evaluated by organizations outside of Weight Watchers.

[/size][/font]

I think this sums up why the points are calculated as a whole for recipies with vegetables.

It's right to let the weight loss be your guide, but I find it a bit perplexing that there is no ONE right way to do this? I mean, we all know what works and doesn't work for us- but what exactly is WW saying about the right way to do this?

They recommend using the meal entry method rather than the recipe builder if you are using all 0 point foods as the receipe builder is not updated yet.

I'd like to know exactly where it says this.

And, please address the salad question! That is what's stumping me the most. I normally would not put a salad into recipie builder.... but at a restaurant a salad NI is as a whole. So do we eyeball the ingrediants or count the whole NI? I don't know why I would maybe count the extras at home but not at a restaurant. Whatever it is, I think it needs to be consistent.

206.5 | 202 | 150

I'm not sure if it's written anywhere that we should use the "Meal" option for things like smoothies and sandwiches. I have seen it stated on the WWer staff site, and this is where leaders are getting the information to pass along.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

I have seen the meal option recommended for not counting the 0 pt fruit and veggies- don't have the material in front of me- but definitely said so.

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

Found it!

Please read the PointsPlus 15 Essentials, especially item 8

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=106231&sc=3010

8. Fruit (and vegetables) in recipes still contribute toward the PointsPlus values

Just as we've always done with 0 PointsPlus value vegetables, even 0 PointsPlus value fruits contribute toward the total PointsPlus values of a recipe, whether it's a Weight Watchers recipe or one you build yourself in the Recipe Builder. Recipes add up the nutritional info for all their ingredients. If you ate fruit only, save it as a "meal" rather than a "recipe."

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Guest sodacracker

I'd like to know exactly where it says this.

i was reading a lot over at the U.S. WW site last week and it may very well have been in the discussion groups where I read about this. In any case it looks like people here jumped in and found you some answers. :bcb_smile

8. Fruit (and vegetables) in recipes still contribute toward the PointsPlus values

Just as we've always done with 0 PointsPlus value vegetables, even 0 PointsPlus value fruits contribute toward the total PointsPlus values of a recipe, whether it's a Weight Watchers recipe or one you build yourself in the Recipe Builder. Recipes add up the nutritional info for all their ingredients. If you ate fruit only, save it as a "meal" rather than a "recipe."

Is it safe to say this applies to salads?

206.5 | 202 | 150

Is it safe to say this applies to salads?

I would apply it to salads.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02