Health Discovery Network
Kosciusko

Sometimes Feel Drained After Meetings -- Anyone Else?

As noted in the title of this thread, I sometimes feel drained -- or even down -- after meetings ... and it surprises me because the meetings are energizing and interesting. I have a terrific leader, she's one of the best! And we have a solid group of attendees. The program is working well for me -- both in terms of lifestyle and at the scale. It's not about that.

I've been trying to figure out what is at the heart of this ... and I suspect that I am just so darn empathetic with everyone there that I walk out drained. This is strange, because I'm fairly average in terms of empathy in general -- but at WW meetings, the issues are so personal and in-the-moment. The stories can hit such a raw nerve and I feel most everyone's issues ... because either I've been there, am there, or hope to get there!

Does anyone else who attends meetings experience anything similar? Or maybe it's just me.

Kos

Honestly? I usually feel inspired and uplifted. I think it has a lot to do with my leader.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

I usually love my meetings and leave determined to have a great week. I understand what you are saying though. One lady spoke about not being able to tie her shoes and having to get her children to do it for her. I have been there (no kids but I had to get someone to tie them for me).

What gets me sometimes is the people who think they just have to pay the WW fee and get the materials and the weight will come off. You can tell by the things they say that they aren't going to follow the program. I try to encourage them to keep coming back and get on board with the program. However, sometimes you can just tell they aren't going to get it.

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

Never feel drained afterwards. Like others have said, they power me. Someone once asked me at a meeting why I go - since I've been lifetime for so long and have heard many of the same meeting themes in the past. And, I told them: "Ever hear of Derek Jeter? He's been in the major leagues a long time. And, he probably knows how to hit by now. But, he takes batting practice everyday, just like the rest of the team. Why? Because he wants to stay sharp. And, that's why I still go to meetings - because I want to stay sharp on all the things that I've learned so far. Plus, you never know. I could learn something at a meeting that is new to me."

And, I meant that when I said it.

I do feel for others at the meetings 'tho. Just this week, a girl told her story. So far, she's lost 51 pounds. (I guess she's got another 20-something to go.) She joined with her two sisters and they dropped out right away. So, the leader asked her why she stayed when they left. And, she said she was "tired of being fat, tired of having to pay more for special clothes that fit her, tired of not being able to walk up steps at work without stopping" and that she "wanted to be like everyone else and buy clothes without having to factor in the being fat thing." Man, I felt her pain. She's a lot younger than me. And, she's a girl - and I'm not. But, I know EXACTLY what she's talking about. And, I'll never forget what it felt like to be fat. I'm going to look for her at the next meeting and ask her for a fist-bump on doing so great and making it happen. But, again, while I felt her pain, and had a ton of empathy, it didn't drain me. It did touch me though. And, I wanted to give her a hug. But, that would just be creepy for her - so, I'll stick to the fist-bump when I see her, if I see her again.

Kos - could it just be the time of your meeting? Is it near a meal time? I know many don't like to eat before a weigh-in, and, if the meeting is about the time they would have a meal, being at the meeting makes them hungrier than usual when they get out. Could it just be a blood sugar thing for you? Maybe grab a banana and eat it after the weigh-in, and that would help you? They're zero points now, ya know!

Kos,

I feel the same way. I love my leader, but sometimes the food talk gets me down. Have an apple. Myabe you are hungry

MO#83

I work at 11 meetings a week and for sure listening to all of the stories can be draining. I know the leaders try to be uplifting but sometimes a meeting is hijacked by someone who can be pretty overpowering and some leaders are not talented enough to stop the trend in that direction.

I agree, bring something to eat unless it's not allowed where you are. I bring an entire breakfast to the meeting I attend. We all do.

I also know some leaders who talk too much about food and by the end of the meeting I am STARVING! It is possible you need to find a leader you match with a bit better, or group you match with. You can always search for meetings by leader at the WW site.

Good luck

I think it's probably just a difference in how you refresh and energize. I'm a Myers-Briggs Personality Type E (extrovert), and I bet you're an I (introvert). Extroverts refresh around other people; introverts refresh with alone time.

Jean in Colorado

SW 176

CW 170

WW goal 135.0

GW 122

The future depends on what we do in the present.

Mahatma Gandhi