Health Discovery Network
CW

CW's Weekly Meeting 12/12/2010

I have had some work to do on my eating this week. I have been skimping on breakfast and lunch (eating fruits mostly) and then eating all of my dailies from 6 to 10 PM. I have had no gain and no loss doing that. I feel like I've wasted a week.

So I want to dovetail off of the Breakfast Challenge Thread that KrisD started here last week. It was a timely reminder of something very important.

This is a great defensive tool.

Getting a good start to the day:

• helps to keep us from over eating later in the day.
  • Gets our metabolism cooking early (Breaking the Fast is key because our metabolism will not rise until we eat something).
  • Getting good nourishment early will help us function better physically and mentally all morning long.

Water is the next basic need we must work on. The first 'hunger' pangs we feel are often more related to thirst than the need for more food. Most of us confuse that signal. So a good policy would seem to be - Get a cup or 2 of water in when every you feel hungry to be sure it IS hunger and not just your body asking for fluids. Are you getting enough fluids?

Activity Points

The new calculations for activity points have left me a little over confidant. I ended the week with 36, plus my 49 Weekly Points. I just think its too much. That is more then two days extra meals.... I have to work on my attitude about this.

What are you all doing with and for AP's?

:salut

CW

AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202124

Hi CW. I started back on Thursday, so I am not yet a week into the new program. It just rolled out last week in Canada.

I learned from my last time on WW that skimping on points early in the day made me want to graze all day. Even 0 point stuff adds up if you are constantly eating it. Breakfast has never been a problem for me. It's actually one of my favorite meals and I've eaten it every day for years. I've found that splitting my meals into 3 meals plus 3 snacks a day keeps me from getting too hungry and keeps me in control.

Water, never a problem for me as it's always been my drink of choice. I'm one of these people who hates to drink they calories. Plus, as a runner, I've learned the hard way just how important it is to stay hydrated. Nothing like a bad scare during a long run to reinforce the water habit.

The new plan is going to take some getting used to, but so far, I am liking the changes. I have to rethink some of my snacks. The all bran bar that I always had with fruit at my coffee break is now 4 points instead of 2 points. Maybe I can live without it, but I am just going to play it by ear and see how it goes.

I earn quite a few AP, but don't always use every one of them. Since I am getting back into running, right now, I am earning 5 for each 30 minutes I run. Plus I usually get in another 40 to 60 minute walk in the afternoon. The border collies need a minimum of 2 hours of active exercise a day, so it gets ME out and moving too. (They don't care if it's pouring rain). During the work week, if it's not pouring, I cycling commute, so that usually earns me another 3 AP for each day that I do it. I will probably earn at least 40 AP during a week.

Since I am using etools (I signed up with the monthly pass), it takes my weekly allowance before it takes the AP, so if I reach the end of my tracking week and still have AP left, that's ok. I have always used them on an as needed basis. They were for when I was marathon training and needed the extra fuel for my workouts. I was pretty careful to make sure it was quality food I was consuming and not just empty treats......I figure I can use the weekly allowance to treat myself.

This is my first weekend on plan. I had 2 dinner parties (one of them I hosted). I totally enjoyed myself, ate to satisfaction, had a glass of wine and got up this morning with the scale down a pound. I am pumped. For the first time in years, I am positive I will make it through the Christmas season with a loss instead of the usual 5 pound gain.

Now, off for my run.

Ann

SW: 158.6 Dec 2010

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

:bcb_happy CW, I made a new breakfast challenge just for you :bcb_happy

(ok, and me....)

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

SW:231 (12/30/11) CW:223.5 (-7.5 lbs) First goal: 5% (219.5)

I don't make many APs (yet), so I use any I earn for "real food", like nuts or extra meat....(mmmm. meat). I am trying to use my dailies for mostly real food, and weeklies for more "fun" food like a cookie, Christmas treats, nog, and wine

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

SW:231 (12/30/11) CW:223.5 (-7.5 lbs) First goal: 5% (219.5)

I've lost 2-1/2 lbs in the last week. I've been eating oatmeal with fruit most days for breakfast and have had a pretty easy time sticking to the plan. I love fruit so I eat at least 4 to 5 pieces a day, mostly apples. I've found the 85% cocoa chocolate is only 3 or 4 points for two squares, depending on the brand, so have been having that some nights. I LOVE chocolate! And anything over 70% cocoa content is supposed to have some antioxidents in it.

I have to do better on exercise. I haven't been getting much outside of normal activities.

weight.png

Returned to WW on 12/2/10, starting the new Points Plus program at 151.5 lbs.

I am SO not a breakfast person. Don't get me wrong. I freaking love breakfast food, but I am not a morning person and I can't be bothered to cook myself eggs every morning, especially with a baby demanding my attention. That being said, I do eat a Fiber One bar or drink a Muscle Milk Light in the morning, both of which are 3PP. I find that if I eat breakfast I get hungry again for a mid morning snack. I have a banana if I have time to eat one, but sometimes I don't end up with time to eat again until lunch.

As far as APs, I have been following the old 100 calories burned = 1 AP rule. Then I make sure to eat all of my APs, since I am taking less APs than Weight Watchers says I should for my activity. If my losses start to speed up or slow down too much I will reconsider this policy, but for now it seems to be working for me.

Shelly

SW: 199.0

CW: 172.2

GW: 150

Hey all,

Spreading points out during the day is a good idea CW. Good luck.

The increased number of PP and AP is keeping me on-plan and I am grateful for that as it is helping to rebuild my confidence so I can exercise more and live the athletic lifestyle I want to without worrying about going off-plan because evercise makes me hungry. Also I try to stay away from flour and sugar, which helps trigger me big time. If I want to eat something with flour I recognize its triggering potential and eat protein with it. So far so good this week, halfway through my WW week.

MO#83

HI- After my first week on the new program lost 2.6 lbs. Love the new program. Always eat breakfast unless going to a lunch gig that will be big.

CW- the people who ate too much fruit did not have enough room for the rest of the food and did not do that well this week. But you should have seen the banana peels everfywhere- bananas rule- but only in moderation

Off to plan how to deal with the potluck tonight

Have a great week

Arlene

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

CW, leader shared her experience with Points Plus the week she introduced the program. She said she lost, a little, the first week, then gained (a lot she said) weeks 2 and 3. She had her boss look at what she was eating and what she found out was she was using her 0 point fruits for meals, then filling up on other foods to make up the points. When she started eating "real" meals, and upped her protein, she started losing weight. She ended up losing 9 pounds in 9 weeks, and finally stopped (as she didn't want to lose more). She said in the meeting yesterday that she's now eating about a 6 oz. portion of protein at dinner, instead of the carb heavy foods she had been eating.

In our meeting yesterday the leader reported results, and comments, had been mixed. About 50% of the members LOVE the new program and have been very successful. The other 50% still aren't too sure. I think it will take time for people to really understand, and embrace it. I'll be honest, it took me awhile. I loved the program, the science and the theory of it all, but just wasn't seeing results. But since I am under my goal weight it was going to be very hard to me to see big losses. This is why I'm now very happy with maintaining.

I've been maintaining, a few up, a few down. But I'm feeling more satisfied and I'm going into the Christmas season weighing less than in the past few years. :bcb_up I am falling down on exercise however. I've been having physical therapy once to twice a week, and I've been counting those sessions as activity. I figure I've been working hard enough in them. :bcb_wink3 Also dh and I have been taking a yoga class once a week (hate that d@mn down dog!).

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

I lost 4.6 pounds my first week back and on the new PP Program. Monday through Friday, I eat about 3 points for BK (usually eggbeaters and string cheese), 3 points for a mid morning snack (usually my baked oatmeal), 7 or so points for lunch (and added fruits and veggies all day long). That leaves the rest of my points for dinner and evening snack. I've been doing good with my water. I have NOT been eating up to my target points, just one day. My goal is to get much nearer to them. I also did not do any activity. I remember when I started before, I waited about a month, before adding my "gazelle" walking in .. I will do that again this time. I'm having a harder time with planning out my foods and recipes. That needs to be where i focus my time right now. To make "real" dinners that my whole family can eat .. not two separate dinners. I'm taking this one hurdle at a time.

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

CW, leader shared her experience with Points Plus the week she introduced the program. She said she lost, a little, the first week, then gained (a lot she said) weeks 2 and 3. She had her boss look at what she was eating and what she found out was she was using her 0 point fruits for meals, then filling up on other foods to make up the points. When she started eating "real" meals, and upped her protein, she started losing weight.

This is a great point. At one point I considered having a banana for breakfast every morning, but I decided that I would use zero point fruit to fill in as snacks but never for meals. I continue to eat a real breakfast instead of filling in with just fruit and I have the banana for a mid morning snack if I am still hungry, which isn't every day.

Shelly

SW: 199.0

CW: 172.2

GW: 150

I always have breakfast, but with this new plan it makes more sense to have scrambled eggs and FF ham that to have cereal and FF/SF yoghurt. I make breakfast for DH and myself, using 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites. DH gets more than I do, so I feel comfortable that I am getting no more than the one egg (2 pts). I buy a Schneider's FF smoked ham at Wal Mart (much cheaper there) and cut thin slices a bunch at a time (saves me time later). According to my calculator and the nutrition information on the back of the ham, 2-oz is only 1-pt. So with the scrambled egg, FF ham, 1/2 a banana, and a tbsp. of salsa (nutrition info makes it 0 pts. for 2 tbsp.) I have a nutritious and filling breakfast for only 3 pts. What a bargain--and it sticks with me! On days that I don't feel like cooking (and honestly, it doesn't take that long), I eat one biscuit of Shredded Wheat (2 pts.) with

Oh, right, I just remembered that the question on this thread is about AP :embarrass. I didn't realize until last night that there was a change in the way to calculate. I have been using the 20 minutes of moderate activity = 1 point for the past few months, and have just kept that. Right now, I'm finding that I'm having difficulty staying within my points (I was at 21 and now I'm at 29) and have already used half of them (my week starts on Thursdays). In the past, I always used AP on the day I earned them and saved WPA for anything above that or for the times when I wanted a special treat (e.g. barbequed ribs). Now, I'm reading that we should be using up out WPA first, and then going into the AP. However, the Getting Started Guide does make it clear that using the AP is entirely optional. I'm a bit confused right now... I liked the way I used to do it (i.e. use them only on the day I earned them, and before the WPA)... but with the struggle I'm having staying within my target, I need to use some WPA each day. For now, I think I'm going to count them as I did before--20 minutes = 1 point. I'll try keeping them in reserve in case I use up WPA (I know they do not roll over from week to week). I need to work hard at changing my snack options, as I think that is why I'm not hitting my target.

I will be interested in hearing what others are doing.

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

I love breakfast and almost always eat a bigger lunch than dinner. I typically spread my 32 daily points out like this: 6 for breakfast, 15 for lunch, 11 for dinner. In the future, when I need to cut back to 29 points, I am planning on 6 still for breakfast, then 14 for lunch, and 9 for dinner. I've figured out that -- if I really listen to my body -- I'm hungrier earlier in the day and so 2/3 of my daily points are gone by the end of lunch, even if it is not always socially convenient.

In terms of APs - I have made a personal commitment to earn 20 or more on PointsPlus every week. (On the Momentum program, I always did 15+). So far, so good. Even though I'm not required to use APs the day I earn them, I always do -- because it makes sense to me (cause and effect). I also now use them before weekly points, because I feel that I have earned them and it honestly motivates me to keep exercising regularly. That said, I usually use about half my weeklies, but they are there if I need them. I suppose it is kind of a mind-game to use the APs first, but it's one that works for me.

Oh, and I lost 3.0 pounds the first week on the new program (I weigh-in at meetings). My leader said that it is NOT part of the new plan for people to lose faster and that the new program still has on average weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week. So I suspect my 3 lb. loss was a bit of a "honeymoon" from starting the new program ... and that it will be more in the 1-2 pounds range moving forward. All good.

Kos

So, I'm hearing that it is okay to use the AP first??? That makes me feel better... like Kos, it makes sense to me. I have just looked at the way AP are calculated on the PP+ program, and it looks a little more complicated. At least, the 20 min. = 1 point doesn't quite work out. According to the guide, for me, 20 min. = 1 pt., 25 = 2 pt, 40 = 3 points, and 55 = 4 pts. (all at moderate)...that's more like 15 min. = 1 pt. I agree with you, CW, it seems like too much--but then, I thought 29 points sounded like a lot but I'm finding it hard to stay within that. Guess I will go with the new calculations for AP, use them up before the WPA, and trust the program.

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

The most WW would say is that WPA and AP are there for you to use... optionally! So if you don't use them and you don't lose, then use them and you might.

WW corporate has plenty of experience with this stuff. I'd be inclined not to question that much. If you feel like you can't get points finished off, then consider eating more high-fat good food like nuts, fish, etc, as long as they don't trigger you. Nuts trigger me big time BTW!

Lately I am finding canned beans to be extremely helpful. High pointsplus values 7-8 for instance with good fiber, protein and potassium, which my poor muscles need IMHO.

OK /rant off

HUGS!

MO#83

Hello CW and all - just wandering over from the men's section. I was having trouble buckling down and "getting with the new program" but I am on day 2 and tracking w/ Points Plus. I get 51 pts a day and for the second day it's dinner time soon and I still have between 30-40 points. I normally start tracking on Thursdays so I am not giving myself any WPAs until then. I earned activity points the past few days but need to start adding them up and tracking them as well. I don't expect to use them but I should keep track of how many I am earning. I did eat a good breakfast of a banana, 2 eggs and some onions and 99% fat free turkey scrambled in to them. It was a 6 point breakfast and I was satisfied. I had salad and cottage cheese at lunch and some soup and a little turkey this afternoon. I feel very satisfied so far.

Tom

I can't fail if I don't quit

Platoon member #63

SW: 318.2 (10-14-08)

CW: 259.8

GW: 225

Tom, I've been adding a piece of toast with jelly to my breakfast the mornings I have eggs. It's been nice to have toast again, and helps use up some of the points. :bcb_bigsm

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Tom, I've been adding a piece of toast with jelly to my breakfast the mornings I have eggs. It's been nice to have toast again, and helps use up some of the points. :bcb_bigsm

Yeah great point Luanne - I might add back in one Thomas' "light" english muffin (3 pts now). Thanks for the advise ;-)

I can't fail if I don't quit

Platoon member #63

SW: 318.2 (10-14-08)

CW: 259.8

GW: 225

Question please?

Last week I asked our leader if we had to eat all of our 29 points per day and she said eat until you were comfortable. Yet in the old program if you did not eat your target daily points you were at risk of not losing weight. Could someone help me?

My first week on the new program I lost .4

Question please?

Last week I asked our leader if we had to eat all of our 29 points per day and she said eat until you were comfortable. Yet in the old program if you did not eat your target daily points you were at risk of not losing weight. Could someone help me?

My first week on the new program I lost .4

This is information that staff got, and what your leader is referring to.

"Do I have to eat/use all of my Daily PointsPlus Target?

To stay satisfied and to make the Program liveable on a daily basis, as well as meet our nutrient needs, we recommend using all of your daily PointsPlus Target. The principle of 'flexible restraint', as recommended by Weight Watchers, is built in. It leaves sufficient leeway for you to be able to treat yourself now and again while still sticking to the program. But you don't need to 'overeat' just to use all of your Target. If you are already satisfied but have some PointsPlus values left for the day, it's Ok not to use them. The fear that the body's metabolism will come to a halt if you don't consume the total daily PointsPlus Target is a myth."

To add to this, it's one thing not to eat all your points in an attempt to lose weight "faster", it's another if you don't use all your points, but you've gotten in the Good Health Guidelines and you are truly feeling satisfied.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

At one point I considered having a banana for breakfast every morning, but I decided that I would use zero point fruit to fill in as snacks but never for meals. I continue to eat a real breakfast instead of filling in with just fruit and I have the banana for a mid morning snack if I am still hungry, which isn't every day.

Makes sense to me because just fruit for a meal will not satisfy me and I end up hungry later. Fruit as a part of a meal is OK. Bottom line for me is that I can't allow myself to have just fruit and call it a meal.

Are you getting enough fluids?

Now that is a very timely question for me seeing as how it's Australian summer now and I often get dehydration headaches during hot weather. You'd think that would be enough to trigger me to drink more, but that hasn't really been the case. Instead I've just been walking around trying to ignore the headache and using it as an excuse to take it easy. So I will be working on this in the next week. Thanks CW!

I'm expecting to have a pretty easy time with food choices in the next week as I have my sister visiting who is on a very restrictive diet for medical reasons... very low fat, very small quantities, mostly veggies and fruit with a small amount of certain lean protiens and some grains. I'm not matching her quantities (I couldn't!!) but am limiting myself mostly to the same types of food when I'm eating with her, because I don't want to make it any harder than it has to be for her. She's staying with me through end of December.

Terri

SW: 309.8 / CW: 265.8 / Next Goal: 253.0 / WW Loss: 44.0 lbs

Activity Points

The new calculations for activity points have left me a little over confidant. I ended the week with 36, plus my 49 Weekly Points. I just think its too much. That is more then two days extra meals.... I have to work on my attitude about this.

What are you all doing with and for AP's?

:salut

CW

My favorite cereals (such as raisin bran) are all more than three points, so I'm using my APs to balance that out. I don't want to have to find new favorites.

Jean in Colorado

SW 176

CW 170

WW goal 135.0

GW 122

The future depends on what we do in the present.

Mahatma Gandhi