Health Discovery Network
PA575

If you can't afford the new program....

I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation. I am just returning to WW after a few months off and I can't afford the new program or to go to a meeting at this time. Is anyone else is this position? I know it is best to just get started but I still feel out of the loop with all the conversations bcb_sad

I know it is a good program no matter the version :bcb_smile

Thanks.

Patty

Times are tough all over, I know. I was thinking the same way you are about not being able to afford to go back, but I couldn't afford NOT to. I figure it's a Christmas gift to myself as well as an investment in my health. If you sign up with the monthly pass, it's considerably cheaper. In the long run, I will be money ahead as I was very close to having to buy bigger pants.

I hope you find a way. Good luck to you.

Ann

SW: 158.6 Dec 2010

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

Do you have a friend who goes who could buy you the calculator and the food guide? I did that for one of my co-workers who couldn't afford to go. I specifically asked the leader if it was okay for me to purchase them and she said no problem. She didn't want me buying the kit, as they only had a few and she figured if someone saw me with three, there might be a riot. If you have the calculator and the food guide, and if a friend could go over the basics with you, you could make it. However, I agree with Ann that if you can possibly scrape together enough $$$, it is worth at least going to a meeting to get the getting started guide and the pocket guide along with a calculator and hearing the presentation of how to work the program. I like the idea of a Christmas present to yourself.

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

Do you have a friend who goes who could buy you the calculator and the food guide? .

Without having the full information on the new program, just having the calculator and food guide isn't going to do much for you.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Patty - if money is tight now, why worry about the new program? (I assume here that you have the old program information since you said you were returning to WW.) Why not use the old program until finances are better? Just because WW has a new program, it doesn't mean the old one is a failure. I've lost all my weight and have maintained it using the old program. So have many, many, people before and after me. If you're concerned about losing the weight, do the "old" Points program - because it does work - and then switch over to "PointsPlus" when it's a better time for you in terms of disposable income.

Remember, the "new" program is just a tweak of a program that was already working. It's not like it's 100% totally different.

Remember, the "new" program is just a tweak of a program that was already working. It's not like it's 100% totally different.

I really disagree with this statement and think it could lead to confusion. Previous changes to the Weight Watchers program were relatively small. In the last 13 years POINTS remained relatively unchanged. New program launches involved minor tweaks and adjustments. However this particular change is not a minor tweak. It is a whole new program that is like nothing Weight Watchers has ever done before. The only thing that is even similar is the fact that members are still given a daily PointsPlus target and foods are assigned PointsPlus values, but even then PointsPlus values are calculated entirely different than POINTS values.

I feel the need to point this out because it is very important that people that are following any of the older POINTS programs understand that their program is NOT interchangeable with PointsPlus. It is not okay to use a PointsPlus daily target or to eat free fruit on the POINTS program. Trying to mingle the two programs based on internet hearsay could really damage someone's weight loss effort.

That being said, the old POINTS program did not stop working overnight just because Weight Watchers launched PointsPlus. Patty, my advice is to stick to the POINTS program until you can afford to attend a few meetings and pick up new materials for PointsPlus.

Shelly

SW: 199.0

CW: 172.2

GW: 150

Without having the full information on the new program, just having the calculator and food guide isn't going to do much for you.

I totally agree, Luanne, sorry if I misled anyone. You would need the calculator and food guide, AND you would need a friend who was willing to take the time to walk you through it. Absolutely the best thing would be to get to the meetings to get the rest of the material. I also agree with MissShellica that if the old program is working, stick to it until you can do the PP+ program properly.

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

Thanks so much for the responses - I will concentrate on the information I already have (I do have all the past books.) I currently can't afford anything extra but may be able to in 3-6 months. I don't want to waste that time worrying about what I don't have :)

I wish you all the very best.

Thank you,

Patty

I really disagree with this statement and think it could lead to confusion.

For Patty's benefit, maybe I should clarify what I meant.

Both plans (Points and PointsPlus) aim to get people to eat more low energy density foods - meaning at least five servings of fruits and veggies a day - and to eat less fat. The new plan takes it a step further - steering people to eat more lean protein and more complex carbohydrates over simple ones.

Both plans still operate on the principle that you should consume less calories than it is required to operate your body to facilitate a weight loss. And, they each use a points system to help follow this rule - giving you a daily "points" allowance and assigning "points" to food and activities to apply to that allowance. The difference here is that the "old" plan determines food "points" using calories, fat and fiber whereas the "new" one works off fat, fiber, carbs and protein. Some think this means calories are out. But, it's not really true since the PointsPlus system basically takes the grams of fat, protein and carbs and figures out how many calories are in what you're eating.

Both plans still allow you to not deprive yourself and choose any food to eat - as long as it's done with portion control. Both plans reward you for exercising. Both plans stress weekly accountability on your progress and highly recommend group support.

This is why, to me, the plans are basically the same - with the exception being that PointsPlus "rewards" you (for lack of a better term) for making even better food choices whereas the "old" Points system allows you to eat "crap" (for lack of a technical term) and processed/artificial foods with no penalty other than having to account for the points associated to them. (For example, with the old plan, a WW ice cream saucer - which is all man-made "crap" - has the same "Points" value as a banana. Two points each. And, with the new PointsPlus plan, a WW ice cream saucer is FOUR PointsPlus and a banana is ZERO PointsPlus. Hence, WW is now strongly suggesting that you eat the banana over the fake ice cream when you're hungry.)

Again, this is all just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

The best part of the new program in my opinion is encouraging people to be aware of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates have been extremely overused in modern processed food to the detriment of consumers' health. Also the sugar that is surreptitiously included in foods also jacking up the caloric value of things.

MO#83

If you are returning as a lifetime member there is no sign up fees....Year before last...I lost a job and became primary care givers to my elderly parents....after 3 months of staying in the icebox because I was so stressed out....I decided that I needed to do something for me. Not only was I dealing with issues with my parents, I was dealing with a difficult husband...I needed something that would not only take care of my body, but would give me a support group to fall back on....I scraped together the money each week. In past 18 months, I have lost around 28 pounds and have 28 more to go....at 60 years old my metabolism is shot...I also have joint issues...so a lot of walking causes problems....My meetings are a place that helps me past my problems....and I get to pay it back with helping others.

The money you save by eating right will practically pay for you meetings....and it is even cheaper if you buy monthly or 3 month passes. Do this for yourself...do without a hair trim or manicure....or eating out....you are worth it.

Guest LeeBeeJeebies

Just to add my two cents:

Superbowl, the way you explained it is the way I see it as well. Yes, we have a new program, but it's essentially the same concept in terms of "spending" points for foods, etc. Yes, the underlying science is a bit different, and the points values have changed, etc. but basically, Weight Watchers still operates off of the same simple concepts. Lol, I understood you!

Anyway, that's beside the point. The original point of this thread is that Patty was worried about doing the new plan (cost-wise). Patty, that was a concern of mine as well. I spent $13, and went to one meeting (to get the info. and the new materials). It was seriously only $13. That's the price of coming to one meeting (at least where I live). However, I wanted to buy the calculator as well, so that was another $5.99. Good luck with it all Patty. It definitely can be expensive, but like others have said, maybe you can stick with the old program instead. The old program was a huge success for many, many thousands of people! ;)

Just to add my two cents:

Anyway, that's beside the point. The original point of this thread is that Patty was worried about doing the new plan (cost-wise). Patty, that was a concern of mine as well. I spent $13, and went to one meeting (to get the info. and the new materials). It was seriously only $13. That's the price of coming to one meeting (at least where I live). However, I wanted to buy the calculator as well, so that was another $5.99. Good luck with it all Patty. It definitely can be expensive, but like others have said, maybe you can stick with the old program instead. The old program was a huge success for many, many thousands of people! ;)

Thanks again everyone for the info!

Lee, did you not have to pay for registration? I don't think they will be having free registration for a long time now since so many people are flocking back and also with the New Year around the corner

Without TMI, just in a situation where every single penny counts and still hoping for some help from a local charity to be able to have a gift or two for my daughter this year. So where this is a gift (WW) to myself and also my family's future, it is also an extravagance at this time. You hope and pray you never get into this type of sutation but it happens :( So now just working to get out of it and move forward.

Thank you all for your support.

Patty

Guest LeeBeeJeebies

Hi Patty!

I didn't have to pay a registration fee because I used to be a member. I used to have one of those memberships where it automatically debits your checking account each month, and it pays for your whole month of Weight Watchers meetings as well as eTools. I had to quit several months ago though (due to costs). But since I was a member...I guess I didn't have to pay the registration fee. Hmm...

Also, they asked if I had health insurance. I have United Health Care (which does NOT cover Weight Watchers...only Nutrisystem - yuck). But even though it doesn't cover Weight Watchers, it DOES get me a "get out of jail free card." That means that I can come to meetings whenever I want, and I just pay the one-meeting-at-a-time fee (which is $13). Typically, when you do the one-meeting-at-a-time plan, you have to pay for the weeks that you miss. Apparently, when you flash your United Health Care insurance card, you don't have to pay for your missed weeks. I learned all of this when I went to the meeting to get the new materials. It was a huge blessing. I had never heard of this policy before!

The lady said that a couple types of insurance will do that for you. I had never heard of this...but hey - I'll take it!

If you DO get charged a registration fee...I think it is $20. I might be wrong, but I think it is $20. Overall, it would be about $37 for the registration fee and the meeting fee, which is a lot of money. But you may be able to get out of the registration fee if were a member before or if you have a certain type of insurance.

Also - don't they do free registration for the new year?

Patty- While I don't know your exact situation, I have been close to it I am sure. Hang in there. I will say a prayer for you and your family.

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

Hi Patty!

I didn't have to pay a registration fee because I used to be a member. I used to have one of those memberships where it automatically debits your checking account each month, and it pays for your whole month of Weight Watchers meetings as well as eTools. I had to quit several months ago though (due to costs). But since I was a member...I guess I didn't have to pay the registration fee. Hmm...

Also, they asked if I had health insurance. I have United Health Care (which does NOT cover Weight Watchers...only Nutrisystem - yuck). But even though it doesn't cover Weight Watchers, it DOES get me a "get out of jail free card." That means that I can come to meetings whenever I want, and I just pay the one-meeting-at-a-time fee (which is $13). Typically, when you do the one-meeting-at-a-time plan, you have to pay for the weeks that you miss. Apparently, when you flash your United Health Care insurance card, you don't have to pay for your missed weeks. I learned all of this when I went to the meeting to get the new materials. It was a huge blessing. I had never heard of this policy before!

The lady said that a couple types of insurance will do that for you. I had never heard of this...but hey - I'll take it!

If you DO get charged a registration fee...I think it is $20. I might be wrong, but I think it is $20. Overall, it would be about $37 for the registration fee and the meeting fee, which is a lot of money. But you may be able to get out of the registration fee if were a member before or if you have a certain type of insurance.

Also - don't they do free registration for the new year?

Thanks so much Lee - I doubt they will do free registration (though who knows) because of all the people joining no matter what with the new program. I am unemployed right now so no health insurance and just moved to a new state for better opportunities for myself and family.

I will keep working on it on my own. Thanks so much :)

Patty

Patty- While I don't know your exact situation, I have been close to it I am sure. Hang in there. I will say a prayer for you and your family.

Lisa

Thanks so much Lisa - just a difficult time all around and the holidays don't help :( I try not to spend too much time on the computer because all you read is about people shopping, shopping, shopping for presents etc - we are just praying to get through this time and hoping for a better year next year. In the "old days" I used to donate so much at this time of year. You just don't think you will be in this situation but it is important to think of others as well. Just a scary place to be.

Take care and thank you again for the kind words. I hope you have a very happy and blessed holiday season.

Patty

Hang in there Patty, things will get better. I've been in your shoes before, as I'm sure a lot of the buddies here have too. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you all can still manage to have a Merry Christmas.

Patty - I'm sort of in your spot now. My job will be eliminated in two weeks and I'm the only income for our family.

Remember: Tough times don't last, tough people do.

At least, that's what I keep tellling myself!

Guest LeeBeeJeebies

Your job is being eliminated just in time for Christmas?!?!

Oh my goodness..I'm really sorry to hear this...for both of you, Patty and Super Bowl. I really hope things start to turn up for you both. I know this doesn't really help right now, but one thing that I believe is that we're never given more than we can handle. I know that doesn't help it suck any less, and I'm so sorry for you both, but you WILL get through this tough season of your life.

Super Bowl, I'm sorry to hear about you losing your job. I hope you can find something soon. We never know how strong we are until we are put to the test. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers also.

Im really mad at myself for not posting on BCB for so long, now i remember why i used to like it here so much! :) Anyway having said that, i wanted to know if previous posts and info will translate well to the new pointsplus system...i have a lot of catching up to do!

oh yeah ill have to redo my signature...my post partum loss was for my last baby...hes 5 now ;) Yikes!

KimR Miracle Mommy!!

BCB Recommitted after highrisk pregnancy and 6mo bedrest!! Post partum loss 42POUNDS! :exercise2:

WWGoal:90lbs!

'Officially' OP 8 weeks *loss so far* -9lbs:work_out: