Health Discovery Network
Tarantow9

Oatmeal

I see in the book that 1 cup of oatmeal is 4 PP. When I create a recipe in e-tools (1/3 cup dry oatmeal in 1 cup of water) it calculates it as 2 PP. Which one is right?

The book is probably referring to oatmeal that is already prepared - not knowing exactly how it's prepared. If you're not preparing the oatmeal (but orderng it from a cafeteria for example), you don't know if it is made with milk, butter, sugar, etc ... the PP probably account generically for that. I know my DH makes his intant oatmeal with milk, not water.

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

I use the Quaker Oats Old Fashioned and a serving is 1/2 cup dry. It does make about one cup when prepared with water and it is 4 points.

I am not a happy camper about it going from 2 points on the old system to 4 points on the new system because I only get 5 more daily points and 2 will go to this oatmeal. I used to eat it almost daily-sigh!

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

I still eat oatmeal. For me my oatmeal breakfast stayed the same. Reason is because I always added a banana and some other fruit to it. Since I don't have to count the fruit now, the points come out the same.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Lisa~Oatmeal is SO good for you, and you like it. Don't give it up, it's worth those points! Or consider a little smaller portion for maybe 3 points and have a fruit with it. The 0 point fruit whether with the oatmeal, or during the day, can help balance it out.

Look at your stats, you are obviously doing the program right.:bcb_wink3

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

I only get 5 more daily points and 2 will go to this oatmeal.

Lisa - I used to eat oatmeal at least a couple times a week and gave it up the first week of the new program. I've added it back in and do what Luann suggests. You really get more than five more points when you consider that fruit is now free if you don't allow yourself to eat past satisfaction. Oatmeal is filling, healthy, and I love it. It can't be a wrong choice. Use the "extra" points and make a healthy choice for yourself.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

I am not a happy camper about it going from 2 points on the old system to 4 points on the new system because I only get 5 more daily points and 2 will go to this oatmeal. I used to eat it almost daily-sigh!

But you have more weekly points as well! I say if you like something that much, then you should use your weekly points on it. I know I would!

HW 251.8 SW 237.5 (03/18/13) CW 225.8 (4/15/13) GW 165 (tenative)

Gee, I must have taken too long to complete my previous post and it disappeared.

You are right about the extra weekly points. However, I found from much trial and error on the previous plan that I can only eat about half of my weekly points and not gain. If I go over 15 weekly points, I almost always gain. It is only 0.2 or 0.4 but those really add up.

I rarely ate fruit on the old program because of the points values. I ate alot of veggies to meet the fruit/veggie good health guideline. So I don't have a banana in my old plan that is now free. It wasn't there to start with so it isn't a +2 for oatmeal, -2 for banana thing.

I also never ate the 100 calorie packs so the "eat a banana instead of a 100 calorie pack" recommendation doesn't apply to me either.

My oatmeal, bread, cereal, yogurt, etc. all went up in points. I had hoped that I would be able to make minor tweaks to my old meal plans and be "on program" with the new plan. That isn't the case.

Having said all that..I can do this! I can be successful on this new plan! It is going to take more effort than I thought but I have to figure it out. I realize I am starting over from scratch and foods that were once staple foods are now going to be luxury items. I just have to accept it and move on. I have planned to spend more time today researching the food lists trying to come up with new meal plans.

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

I am not totally happy with the oatmeal going up in points either, but I am just sucking it up and eating it anyway. My 5 point breakfast (1/2 cup large flake oats cooked in 1 cup of 1% milk, and whatever fruit I feel like putting in it), is now 7 points. However the oatmeal stays with me much longer than anything like eggs, so I am sticking with what works.

I have no problem using up those 29 points in one day. I almost always dip into my weekly points. I am averaging between 35 and 39 points a day. Earning a large amount of activity points though, so my weight loss has been steady on the new program.

Ann

SW: 158.6 Dec 2010

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

What about activity points? A brisk 20 minute walk during lunch will give you 2 AP's to make up for the difference.

-----------------------------------------------------

Pat

1. Choose your objective
  2. Create a plan of attack
  3. Execute the plan

:bcb_salut