Health Discovery Network
CW

CW's Weekly Meeting 12/26/10

We are not waiting for the New Year to get busy.

Even with a very tough week behind me I have worked at doing well. Not Perfect but dealing the best I can. As most of you know we are taking care for both our moms. Mine was in the hospital the 23rd to the 25th. She has pulminary fibrosis and her ALF (assisted living facility) insisted that she go to the ER to get an IV for her cold. Three days later I have her home again with a train wreck of a holiday. I'm very upside down about it but I have not binged (except for one large cocktail sitting by myself Christmas Eve).

We will be having a much more sane week and I go off alcohol after the 1st for my annual reminder that I'm in charge not the booze. Usually I don't drink again until Super Bowl weekend but I am thinking of not drinking at all after that. That is TBD (to be determined)

This next piece is one that I use to remind me of how important it is to keep going.....

Climb The Mountain

I tried to climb the mountain today. As I inched my way up the path, I felt out of breath and had to turn back.

I tried to climb the mountain today. But, It was so hot outside, I thought I had better stay in my nice air-conditioned house and rest up for tomorrow's attempt.

I tried to climb the mountain today. On my journey, darkness started to fall and I was full of fear, so I had to return to a safe place.

I was ready to climb the mountain today. But I had so may other things to do, so instead of climbing the mountain I took care of the much more important tasks; I washed my car, mowed the grass and watched the big game. Today the mountain will have to wait.

I was going to climb the mountain today. But as I stared at the mountain in all it's majestic beauty, I knew I had no chance of making it to the top, so I figured why even begin trying.

I had forgotten about climbing the mountain today, until an old friend came by and asked what I was up to lately. I told him about all my plans to climb that mountain someday. I went on and on about how I was going to accomplish the task.

He stopped me and said, "I just got back from climbing that mountain. for the longest time I told myself I was going to try to climb it but never made any progress."

"I almost let the dream of making it to the top die. I came up with every excuse of why I could not make it up the mountain, but never once did I give myself a reason why I could. One day as I stared at the mountain and pondered, I realized that if I didn't make an attempt at this dream all my dreams would eventually die."

" The next morning, I started my climb. It was not easy, and at times I wanted to quit. But no matter what I faced, I placed one foot in front of the other, keeping a steady pace. When the wind tried to blow me over the edge, I kept walking. When the voices inside my head screamed, stop! I focused on my goal, never letting it out of sight. I kept moving forward. I could not quit because I knew I had come too far to stop now. Time and time again, I reassured myself that I was going to finish this journey. I struggled mightily to make it to the top, but I CLIMBED THE MOUNTAIN."

"I have to be going," my friend said. "Tomorrow is a new day to accomplish more dreams. By the way what are you going to do tomorrow?"

I looked at him, with intensity and confidence in my eyes, and said, "I HAVE A MOUNTAIN TO CLIMB."

Have a good climb this week everyone.

Lets work on getting in all the Healthy Guidelines this week. That is our duscussion topic. How do you make sure you are getting them all in?

Merry Christmas

Happy Holidays

to ALL.

CW

AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202124

Hey CW, good job on working hard at being OP. I am sure that large cocktail was well deserved.

I would like to encourage you to think about the NO alcohol at all if you enjoy an occasional beer or drink. That may be too restricive and may set you up to fail. WW is about "living" too, not that we have to have alcohol to live, but could you maybe treat yourself to 1-2 drinks/beers on Super Bowl Sunday? The healthy guidelines (seems that's the topic of our meeting) states men should limit it to 2 drinks. You have WPA and with good planning, you can have a pretty nice Super Bowl Sunday and a great journey back to goal. YOU getting back to goal is a party that I am waiting for!:bcb_up

Thanks for posting the Climb the Mountain. It's one of my favorites that you post and I have shared it with others before.

OK, now to your question. It's with good planning that I can get the healthy guidelines in. I struggle the most getting my milk/calcium in. That will be my focus this week. Also journaling and seeing what I still need to eat helps. So this week CW, I will get back to paper/pen journaling vs in my head journaling.

That's my plan and I am sticking with it.:bcbkickbu

Thanks for the meeting.:bcb_wink3

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Sending my best wishes for a good outcome on your family situation, CW.

I'm sick and tired (literally -- worst cold I've had in years). Now that I'm awake, I'm gonna go figure my points from yesterday. Pretty sure it's about 30, including two glasses of wine. No pie, I couldn't face it. Didn't get the healthies in -- got the dairy in with a lovely smoothie at breakfast, but no healthy oils, just butter.

Good luck to all y'all back East dealing with that unbelievable snowfall. We'd love to get it here in Colorado, but it doesn't work that way.

Jean in Colorado

SW 176

CW 170

WW goal 135.0

GW 122

The future depends on what we do in the present.

Mahatma Gandhi

I'd like to share that some family trouble between my sister and myself has healed. I thank her and I thank God for that.

I did not binge on Christmas. I ate proteins and vegs avoiding all other things, because I wanted Christmas to be about the joy of the day and NOT AT ALL ABOUT FOOD. I did well.

CW, may your mother be well soon!

I use e-tools to track my 8. It helps a LOT. The new iPhone app is the bomb!

MO#83

Thanks for keeping it real CW. Home life drama here also (cocktails help) I mean not to the beyond the tipping point but ..whatevere I'm ok with that and aging parents too. I didn't binge but no healthy 8 anything. Glad for tomorrow and back to my routines.

I posted my plan yesterday so I'm working on water, exercise, reducing sugar and advanced meal planning. I'll add to that list when I get things in order with those!

CW- I don't drink at all usually. DH wanted a bottle of port for the season (he can't really drink because of his epilepsy) so I bought myself a one litre bottle of Baileys. And proceeded to drink it all in three evenings. I don't know how to just have *one* drink and I don't really enjoy drinking enough to add that to the list of things I have to struggle with. Going through that experience a few weeks ago reminded me why it's easier for me to just not drink at all. I'm not going to be tempted again!! :salut

Kimberley

CW, I loved Climb the Mountain. It seems so easy to come up with excuses to go forward with goals. I'm a big excuse user! Something I'm trying to work on. The only step in the healthy guideline I need to work on the most is the water. I know I do not take in the amount of water that is recommended. It's ridiculous how much water I actually consume. Lately, I've been getting more water in due to crystal light, but I need to do so much more work.

SW: 239.0 (12.30.10) CW: 233.6 (01.05.12) GW: 150

Loss: 5.4 lbs thus far

When I started WW I worked on the Healthy Guidelines one at a time. Some of them were harder than others for me, so I picked a hard one and focused on it until it was part of my routine. Slowly but surely I got to where it was habit to get it all in. Now I look at my tracker at the end of each week and see if I'm falling into old (bad) habits. When I start skipping oil or dairy or missing too much exercise, I add it back to my "things to focus on" list until it's part of the routine again. For me, change comes best in baby steps.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

CW- Sorry to hear about your moms, I hope for the best. No Alcohol after Jan 1st, you say you've done it before, and that's great motivation to do it again. I give it up for a month or two every year as well, and I try to extend it too. The good thing about WW is that it severly limits my alcohol consumption, which I like. I'll have a drink or two with friends, and maybe some wine with dinner some nights, but that's about it, and for me that's the way it should be.

GHG- on the new plan I'm not sure I've focused on planning my menu to get these in. I feel like I am still adjusting but this last week I certainly felt the ugency to include them (more) in my diet.

206.5 | 202 | 150

Mini Goal: 5% 196lbs

My husband gives it up after the holidays too (booze) welll, maybe one here or there like superbowl or our vacation but, actually I'm pitching all the sweet candy junk now. I mean its for who? Me or him and we are done!

Heather, I really like what you say about focusing on one Healthy Guideline at a time. I'm going to do that, too. Thank you for the suggestion.

Drat... I typed out this big longggg response and instead of clicking post quick reply... clicked the darn 'reply to thread'.

CW: I'm sorry to hear/read about your mother. Its hard caring for unwell or aging parents.

(gotta try to remember all I said - ugh).

Its great that you didn't binge. That in itself is an accomplishment. Its wonderful what you can do with some determination. I know for myself, it doesn't stop with being in control of what you eat... I feel like I'm in control of other things too... of my life in general. That's an awesome feeling. I for one LOVE saying "no thanks" when someone offers you something that's worth 832 points :)

I love WW Online. On my days off (especially), I'll log in several times a day & update what I've eaten. In fact, the night BEFORE, I'll either make a mental note of what I should have the next day or sometimes I'll even track it ahead of time. I find it a good way for me to ensure I'm getting all those 'healthy guidelines'. Once a day I make myself a smoothie, which usually consists of FF Milk, FF Yogurt, Fruit (usually a banana). I also started making vegetable smoothies as well.

Also, I find it helpful to prepare everything in advance so I'm not having to 'work' to get what I need. I make a huge fruit salad (good for 3 days) and wash/prepare different vegetables so they're ready to go.

As far as getting all my liquids. I have a 2.2L water bottle that I fill up in the morning and I know that if I still have it by the end of the evening... I probably haven't had enough. Also use the crystal lite. I'll use ONE serving for the 2.2L

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can.

I make a core/si fi salad dressing and use it every day hoping to get my healthy oils in that way. It's worked for me for quite a while now.

CW as always I hope for the best for your home situation. I have been there and done that with a variety of elderly family members and I know what kind of stress that can be. I turned it on myself. Don't be me CW you know better.

I have fallen down on my program. Not gained weight but just have not had the time to exercise much. Here in CA it has rained so much and been so cold I just cannot get out to walk.

I have the bike right here but am reluctant to make so much noise in the house so here I sit. My plan is to ride at least 30 minutes tonight after work. First I'll update my i pod, that'll help. That will get me started.

Thank you BCB for the wonderful reminders.

Hey CW! I'm sure you probably don't remember me (I have a new log-in) My name is Kerri and I am back (again)! I'm praying that I will break the pattern of losing 30-50 pounds and then quitting....when I have so much more to lose!!! I knew that I was going to join WW at the first of the year...but I decided that I would join today and end 2010 with the bad news (my weight gain - all I lost plus 20) and begin 2011 with the good news (hopefully, my first-week's loss - TBD). I hope that I will be able to fix that part of my brain that allows me to give up...that's what I'm working on....and to get to your question....I will make sure that I get all of my water in this week by never not having a bottle at my fingertips!!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your family problems! I hope that your mom continues to improve and that your New Year's will be awesome!

I've climbed a few mountains in my lifetime. Along the way, I have slipped and skinned my knees, I have slid on a scree slope and watched my life pass before my eyes before rolling to a stop just before the edge of a cliff, I have scrambled up the narrow trails grasping bushes and protruding roots to help pull me forward. My lungs have ached as I gasped for the next breath, my muscles screamed for more oxygen, and the sweat stung my eyes as it rolled off my forehead. But along the trails I saw toadstools that offered shelter for gnomes, I heard the cry of an eagle and the chatter of squirrels, I stood at the edge of a waterfall and breathed in deeply the woodsy air as the mist of the cataract cooled my overheated body. And when I got to the top, I climbed that last pinnacle to gaze at the awe-inspiring beauty of three valleys cradling emerald and turquoise lakes. I fell to my knees surrounded by blue forget-me-nots and purple shooting-stars, drinking in the wonder of it all. The cuts and bruises, the exhaustion and aching muscles, were nothing compared to the exhilaration of having made that climb.

The journey I'm on these days leaves me bruised and battered at times... and sometimes I don't feel like continuing towards that once elusive goal. I'm clawing my way to the finish line but already I'm seeing the bright side of the climb. I no longer awake in the middle of the night because I have stopped breathing (sleep apnea, I think they call it), I can walk up the stairs, I'm not afraid of running into friends I knew before my weight gain. I laugh again and there is a spring in my step. I don't have to buy my clothes at Northwest Tent and Awning, and some of my outfits actually look "hot." My hair is still grey, but it's smoother, softer, and shinier. This mountain seemed downright formidable when I started, but today, 365 days from the first step on the path, the goal is within reach, and I can hardly wait to see what is waiting for me when I get there.

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

Linda, you are so inspiring!!! :bcb_up

Positive thinking gets positive results!!!!!!!

Dottie HW: 210.4 SW:203.6 WWG:141 CW: 108.5 (5-1-14)

Made lifetime in 2003 and have maintained.

Hello everyone. I've been a lurker for many years and have recently come back to posting. Usually I'm over in the fab 40's, 50's but I saw this and since I just rejoined WW online, I figured this is a good place for me too!

I'm really thrilled with the new program. I love that we have more points. I always felt so restricted on 18-23 points. Anyway, yesterday was my first full OP day and it was great. Today so far so good as well!

Carol2wtz