Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
hope25

Elliptical

I have recently got an elliptical to use. Anyone out there using one of these? What is a good goal to work up to? Those who use them do you focus on time spent on it or rotations made?

SW: 171 CW:155 GW: 130

Hi Hope, I don't have one, but I have lots of friends who do. Most of them talk about how many minutes they spent on the machine. I use a treadmill sometimes and I've done it both ways. Sometimes I just want to keep moving for an hour and I don't worry so much about my pace. When I signed up for a 10K this fall, I started focusing on my distance a little more. I would say a good goal is to do a little more each week than you did the week before. Sorry this isn't too helpful. I hope someone who has one jumps in. Just let me say congratulations to you for picking something to do to get your exercise in. That's a win.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

Hi Hope,

I have an elliptical I bought after using one at the gym. I use time as a reference. I set a time to make and increase it every week. I like it because I get more bank for the buck. I burn more calories in a shorter period of time!!

Do you have built in programs on the elliptical? I have programs that are designed for weight loss and endurance. They are always helpful too.

A tip I got from my trainer is to do a few minutes of backwards once in a while. It works a totally different muscle group!!

Hope that this helps. Good Luck

Karen

SW: 252 pounds CW: 232.75 pounds:bcb_march

Recommitted May 17/11 - May 14/12 :bcb_mad2September 3/12 Nov 30/12 and again Jan 2013, Jan 13, 2015 July 1/15 Yet Again!! Never give up!!

Hi! I pretty much rely on the elliptical for cardio at the gym. There are a couple of other locations (NYSC) that are nicer than my "home gym" and have other cooler cardio equipment, but the elliptical is pretty much my go-to. I set the timer for 30 minutes - warm up for 5 minutes with an easy jog, then do intervals for about 15 minutes of running/sprinting, then I crank up the resistance and slow down for 10 minutes or booty/thigh/calf toning. Cool down on these machines is an automatic addition of 5 minutes and I usually take that at an easy jog like the warm up. I'd recommend following that up with a little strength training with a resistance band if you're working out and home and you'll be all set.

[/url]

A tip I got from my trainer is to do a few minutes of backwards once in a while. It works a totally different muscle group!!

Interesting! I have to try this! Does it matter what resistance it's on?

[/url]