Health Discovery Network
Peg541

What One Thing have I done today to advance my cause?

Trudy, I'm assuming that the pedometer you have measures steps accurately when you're running, or you wouldn't like it. (The one I got for Christmas works okay for walking, but not for running.) Does it count every step (i.e. left, right, left, right = 4) or every second one (i.e. left, right = 1)?

Yes, that would pick up as 4 steps.

I mainly wore my pedometer for walking, but I have worn it if I run on my treadmill. When I wore a pedometer running, I only have worn my digi walker. Seems pretty accurate. I'd sometimes count and check my pedometer for accuracy. Most of my runs are outside and I have the Garmin 305. Oh my goodness, do I LOVE.THAT.THING. LOVE.IT. If it breaks, I will buy another one right away. It's my running buddy, my pacing partner. It maps my runs, records it in miles, shows my pace, time, speed. I connect it to my computer and it saves my run. I wore it or both my half marathons and it's incredible accurate. It was great tool when I am in training. I am one that needs to be able to measure my activity when possible.

I have run keeper on my iPhone and it's a very nice program. What I like about my Garmin is I can glance at it quickly and see my data and see if I should speed things up/slow it down. I wear my iPhone in a spibelt. At first, I ran with my nano iPod on my arm. Didn't like the suntan mark on my arm, so I don't see myself going down to running with just my iPhone.

It's quite a deal to get ready to run.:bcb_LOL: A tiny iPod shuffle (music is the ticket), Garmy (my running pbuudy/pacing partner), iphone because sometimes I get a faint feeling and may have to call DH (only had to do that twice), but I needed him. Plus for safety reasons. Oh, and I have to have a mint in my mouth for every run. If it's really hot out, I grab my hand held running bottle.

Gosh, typing all this makes me realize how much I love running. I never thought I'd say that, heck, I never thought I'd run. That's why I believe if I can do it, anyone can.

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Today I am back OP.

“We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace.”

Peggy Tabor Millin

Thanks for all the input on pedometers! Much appreciated.

I did my fen dog walk this morning... sneaked in a few bits of running. My left knee is making funny grinding noises, so I'm not going to get serious about running until I can get it x-rayed and checked out.

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

I love how long groceries last when you only have 1 serving of something and maybe can only eat it twice a week. Now I have to worry about eating everything before it expires! Had a great OP day, today is day 38 and according to my bathroom scale this morning, I've dropped 15lbs in that time. (YAY!) I'm definitely no stranger to the program and as long as I continue to work the program I can work the scale in my favor.

Anyway, enough with the rambling, I'll keep stalking ebay and hopefully I can get a good deal on a pedometer. I would love one that I can hook up to my computer and I can keep track of my steps each day/week, but I really dont want to pay over $40 for one. Hmm, I have a birthday coming up soon maybe I can drop a few hints:bcb_wink3

-Sam:bcb_march

HW/Restart/CW/GW

240/228/228/130

I've had to learn a lot about shopping and storing food since starting to lose weight. I prepare a lot in advance and store it in little containers for one meal. That works for me but lettuce never lasts very long once washed and torn up. I am still buying too much but fortunately I have a neighbor who is doing badly financially so I feed her kids once in a while.

I did the bike for almost one hour. Stopped really just for the heck of it. I can get to an hour on my own time. Watched the rest of the third Girl with a Dragon tattoo film on my phone and then some of Mad men. Gosh Netflix is a life saver.

OP really could be better and I got on the scale and almost died yesterday being 10 lbs above goal. There is NO good reason why I cannot do better.

Be well friends.

Went for my 50-minute dog walk this morning, then hopped on my bike and did a short 10-minute ride around the neighbourhood. It was a bit chilly. Funny thing, it's my arms that get tired when I ride my bike... I have a hybrid, so I'm sitting quite straight... not quite sure how work with the tired arms.

Re: Lettuce... we were having a discussion about throwing food out on the WW@Home board, and here is what Nancy said works for her:

There is NO reason, for lettuce EVER to wilt. This is what you do...... wash the lettuce, or core it, if it's iceburg, then wash it. Don't use a metal knife, as that turns the lettuce brown. so just bang the core end on the table. pull the core out. wash the lettuce - let it fill with water, turn it over and drain it for a while in a colander- then shake the excess water out. Then- here is the important part----put a sheet or 2 of paper towels in the bag with the lettuce and zip shut. The zip bags work better than a twist tie seal. If the paper towel gets wet and there is no condensation, it's perfect. If you get condensation, there is too much water in the bag so switch the paper towels for dryer ones. Lettuce will be crisp and perfect until you use it up. It will not wilt, it will not rot. It's all in the moisture control and you do that with a paper towel.

weight.png

Day 40 OP and going strong, my jeans are starting to fall off of me but I dont think I'm ready to go down a size, maybe in 5 more pounds :)

Today has been a little crazy but I didnt manage to get in 3 meals with a couple of snacks, I should show a good loss on the scale Thursday *fingers crossed*

Now it's off to work I go, I have a few items to make for my Etsy store that need to be mailed in the morning to customers. Keep up the good work ladies:bcb_march

HW/Restart/CW/GW

240/228/228/130

Oh I Love ETSY who are you on ETSY?

Did 55 mins on the bike watching Downton Abby. Such a good show. Bike felt great but my sciatic gave out at 55 mins.

Yesterday was my first really OP day in a long time.

Meaning I went to bed a bit hungry. Always good for me. No snacking. No excess fruit. No wine.

Be well friends.

Pam nice to see you here too. Nice to see all of us here.

I will be OP today but no exercise. I am worked into a corner for the rest of the week. Will do the bike for sure tomorrow and maybe some tonight but what I do today to advance my cause is give myself a break and forgive myself for NOT doing the bike. Very important since we beat ourselves up so much.

Have a good day all.

Bike 45 minutes today after a rest yesterday. Watched most of an episode of Downton Abbey. Such fun.

Starting week 7 of being OP :) down 16.6 total (yay!) Today I'm going to dig in the boxed clothes in the basement and see if i can find my old (smaller) jeans I think I can finally fit into them again!

HW/Restart/CW/GW

240/228/228/130

Oh great Sam I'll check you out. I buy from someone there and everyone goes insane for my jewelry.

Did the bike as long as one episode of Downton Abbey The next to last first season. WOW what a show but Justified wins my vote every time these days. 45 mins 25 miles. Yay me.

Now to stay OP all day and WI tomorrow. Seeing Wicked tomorrow. First time long story.

Peg-Great! I have mostly just hats and scarves but if you don't see anything you like perhaps you have a friend who would!

As for today I've planned out all of my meals for the next 3 days, and I made a big batch of trail mix to use for snacks, I mix peanuts, and a some dried fruit, and m&m's and divide it into snack bags and eat it with a banana. Not the healthiest but sometimes I just NEED chocolate! I've promised myself to go the entire week without stepping on the scale, eek! I've never done that before! *sigh* off to work I go :) Hope everyone has a great OP day!

HW/Restart/CW/GW

240/228/228/130

The weekend is here, so I was able to get my dog walk in early. It took me considerably longer, though, as we had snow and I had to watch my step carefully.

I have planned my eating day.

weight.png

Did the bike today but could not walk due to light headed back. Will call MD tomorrow. Have been decently OP for a while now.

Did the bike. Every 10 minutes I upped the resistance for one minute and then back again. Kind of my own interval training on a very non professional level. OP yesterday and tracked already today.

Did the bike with a few intervals thrown in. Trying to stay OP today. Yesterday went well.

Did the bike 45 mins today. Turns out I am getting a pacemaker. No date yet. Probably in the next two weeks. Should not be much of a set back in fact I should be IMMORTAL after this.

Yoo HOO? Anyone here?

I am getting the pacemaker on the 31st. Took three weeks off from work to rest and play after. Should be fine and I really need this.

I walked 2 miles yesterday and again today.

Hi, Peg. I'm glad to hear that a decision has finally been made regarding that pacemaker. You'll be right as rain in no time. You're like the Energizer Bunny without the pacemaker--just imagine what you'll be like once it's in and working! There will be no stopping you:)

We had a snow day today, so I finally got out for my dog walk. It's been a tough week, and that's my first **real** exercise since last Saturday.

weight.png

You got it Linda. Thanks. Skipped yesterday and working a lot today but OP planned all the way.

Peg

Got out early for my dog walk. The first part of the walk was almost impossible, as the snow had melted then turned to ice. Once around the first bend, though, it was easier walking as there were no trees shading the dyke. I have an OP day planned.

weight.png