Health Discovery Network
Peg541

What One Thing have I done today to advance my cause?

Just walked 2.35 miles. Yay me. Food went really well today. Ready for my WI Mr. Demille!

Today I did some very light weight lifting with the video recommended by Kris, Strong Women Stay Young. It seems to be a pretty basic, short program of lifting light weights (I just started with 5-pound weights), not very advanced, but excellent for someone like me who has absolutely no experience with weight training. It really concentrates on just a few exercises and the proper form. I'm going to plan on doing this twice a week and see how it works. According to the book, I should gradually increase the weight over time.

SW-183 GW-143

161 - 03/23/12 -- 8 (22 lbs to date)

151 - 05/25/12 --10 (31 lbs to date)

Good for you Genoa. I might look into that video.

On the bike. Gained 1.4 this week. Have to backtrack and see why.

Thanks, Peggy. I almost didn't post it, but it's a big step for me. It's hard to carve out that time when I'm home and have so many other things to do. Plus, I'm finally able to start doing some light exercising. I should warn you that this video is very basic. If you've done other weight training, it might be too easy for you. I haven't, so I really need to start at the beginning and learn a few basics. I was able to get the video at my library, so you might look there if you're interested.

SW-183 GW-143

Don't be shy about posting here. No one will ever fault you for doing ANYTHING to advance your cause. I do NOTHING except walk and ride. I have never done one ounce of upper body work so you are ahead of me.

Long day at work today so I take today off from exercise unless a better idea comes along. I have my food all planned out and should be fine. I did walk yesterday and ride the bike for one hour.

I walked one mile today, in twenty minutes, with a walking video (Leslie Sansone). Not a lot, but a start.

SW-183 GW-143

Genoa, 20 minutes is a great start--don't sell yourself short. You do that three days, and you'll have walked for an hour. Just keep consistent.

It's the weekend, so I got my dog walk in early this morning with Misha. We also went to nose work classes today--it isn't a lot of exercise for me, but it keeps me away from snacking!

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

Dog walk in this morning even though it was showery. Misha is REALLY happy, as the rabbits are out in full force. She "thinks" she's a hunter and gets lots of exercise chasing rabbits, but they're too quick for her and she'd never catch one. Good thing she has a bowl full of food at home and doesn't have to live the life of a coyote:bcb_grin.

weight.png

Ahh, I'm glad Misha has you to feed her and doesn't eat the poor little rabbits. She sounds like a great exercise partner---encourages you to keep going and keeps your spirits up. Good job.

SW-183 GW-143

Weather has been cold and rainy, but I managed to get OUTSIDE between rain showers and walk for 3/4 to 1 mile. I don't often have the opportunity to walk outside, so it was a real treat.

SW-183 GW-143

Wow, Peggy, 4:45 a.m.? I could probably stay up until 4:45 a.m. and exercise, but get up then? No way! I applaud you. I wish I was a better morning person. Too many years being up in the night with kids or working have reinforced my already present night owl preferences. Also, I may get up at 8:00, but it takes at least an hour before I can even think about exercise.

I'm happy to say that I walked another hour using one of Leslie Sansone's DVDs, then did four basic core exercises. After that, I previewed an exercise DVD I want to try out soon and practiced some of the steps---it wasn't sustained exercise, but it was some extra movement.

SW-183 GW-143

It's the only way I can do it. I work odd hours too and I lay there in bed wondering how I will feel at 3 pm if I skipped the bike. That gets me out of bed. I watch TV shows on Netflix on my phone. Or radio or podcasts

I saw the orthopod and he injected my knee and said cut back on the walking if you want to keep the knee. I am trying to increase the bike to one hour but it is boring.I did 30 mins and am getting back on out of guilt for the last 30.

Bike one hour just now. 20 miles. Halfway to Disney land if anyone's counting.

Twenty miles---fantastic. That means you averaged 20 mph!!! I'm impressed.

I used to have a bike and would get up early in the morning and ride, but never more than 3-4 miles. I don't have the bike anymore, as I can't leave my child to ride, so I stick to mostly indoor stuff. I did the basic weight training (Strong Women DVD) today, plus I did 1/4 of a very, very old Denise Richardson video (it's broken into 4 parts, which are 15 minutes each), for a total of about one-hour of weight training. I'm only using 5 pound weights at this time; since I've never really done anything with weights before, I'm starting slowly and gradually learning the proper form.

SW-183 GW-143

(double post, sorry)

SW-183 GW-143

skipped today but did the bike yesterday and walked the whole time with a cane. Did fine. Busy getting ready for Passover.

Walked to and from the movies. Big big long hill. Knee hurt but toughed it out.

Dog walk and bike ride today. Ate well.

Sorry to hear about your aching knee, Peg. Hope it gets better quickly--hills are tough on knees, that's for sure.

weight.png

Good bike ride today--earned a couple of AP. Also, we ended up going out for lunch, and I forsake all my favourites and order an Asian Chicken salad with the dressing on the side. It was in the "Heart Healthy" part of the menu and had the NI posted, so if my calculations are correct, it was about 6 points. That was a victory for me, as eating out is my biggest obstacle.

weight.png