Health Discovery Network
Peg541

What One Thing have I done today to advance my cause?

Going walking with a friend soon. Food was excellent yesterday. Will be again today. Out to lunch yesterday I concentrated on the company not the food.

Nice walk. Might walk down the hill to the movies since I left my cane there yesterday. It's an old one I hated anyway but might be a good excuse for another walk.

Skipped the last couple of days. Walk in for today, but will be doing housework and such, so will be moving rather than being still.

Esther

Just do what you know to do!

Slept in. Will walk to the y later. Work at 11:30. Food going very well. WI tomorrow.

I walked to the Y M C A and rode the bike for 30 mins and walked home. If I do one more thing tonight it'll all be good. Probably go back to the H2O aerobics tonight.

Peggy, you do so much exercise! I am impressed!

Did my walk this morning. Nothing yesterday, just moping around because our ww meeting had to be cancelled again, due to the icy weather. We are not used to that.

Esther

Esther it just got to be a habit. I'm pleased with it though. I wish my weight would change better. I decided this morning to WI at home on Wednesdays. Whatever it is that's it. I know what I ate. I know how I exercised. Let the chips fall where they may. I'm at work. Off at 11. Will leave my car here and walk down to the movies not far from here and see Philomena. I brought clothes to change into and my cane. Might treat myself to frozen yogurt too.

i did walk to the movies and back from work. I then came home and walked another 2.25 miles to round out the day.

I'm tired and things hurt. I could take the day off from exercise but I know how I will feel if I do nothing. I might just go to the YMCA later and do the bike for 30 minutes. That will settle my mind. I'm working on a goal. I want to wear that dress in May and am working toward that. In any case I'll look great even if the dress does not work.

Food is going very well. I'm looking carefully at my portions.

I made it to the YMCA water aerobics tonight. Will do the 10 am class tomorrow too. It's all good. Food great today.

Bike at the YMCA for 25 mins. Then 60 mins of water aerobics. Me and the elderly. It was a good work out though. Food going fine.

Things in the mirror look better after my shower. Off to work. Will walk this afternoon but today is a long day on my feet.

i did the walk. 2.29 miles.

On my way to the Y. Not to sure it'll feel OK because I donated blood yesterday but I'll give the bike a try and aerobics tonight.

Bike went fine for 30 mins then I did one mile on the treadmill. Might do water tonight.

Peggy, glad you are keeping up with the exercise! I have just been doing what I can,nothing to write home about though. Was huddled up against the cold while we were without power for a couple days and that just knocked me totally off balance. Working hard to regain my ground.

Esther

Walked last night and am walking this morning at 8. Frankly my weight is not cooperating. I'm almost ready to give up.

Peggy, you can't give up. I just about always hit a spot where I am up in lbs for no reason and I just can't get the scale to reflect the work I am doing. In the past I would get frustrated and say what the heck and give up. I have talked in length to my Dr about this situation and here is what she said to me. When we eat about the same calories and do the same exercise over and over sometimes our bodies decide that since that is all they are getting for calories they are going to adjust their metabolism to burn just those calories. To break out of this you have to shake things up, surprise your body. One way is to eat the low end of points one day and the high end the next and rotate these days all week. Change your workout if you generally walk, pick a couple of spots in your walk where you turn on the heat and power walk as fast as you can for 5 mins, then walk normal til you recover and repeat, Muscle burns more calories than fat so do some weight training every other day. change your food, try low carb, lean protein for a week, and as always weigh, measure, count, and write it down. Make sure you are getting enough lean protein and calcium.

if you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got.

Good luck, post some of your menus.

Annie, I have heard that "shake it up" too.

Peggy, you can't give up! Know you didn't really mean it, but you are such an encouragement to me, to keep moving. I need that, or might just try to control the weight with diet, and that is not good. I know I don't walk at an intensity level to benefit the heart, but any walking does benefit the bone density, so I keep going.

did my mall walk this morning. didn't make the last little loop, just hurt, but I did what I could. I am pleased.

Esther

Annie and Esther thanks for the advice. I know I need to change things around. And probably less carbs. Really no carbs but that's too drastic. I just don't do well with carbs. I did not have to do this much thinking to lose 130 lbs. things changed a lot over six years. I'm going to make changes slowly. Take my time. Not rush this. I'd never give up 100%. I'm just tired of the weight emphasis. Might just change things up and not weigh for a while.

Thanks.

Peggy, good idea to stay off the scale for a bit, what is your plan to change things up? What will you change? How about pick one meal a day that will be low/no carb, instead of cereal for breakfast have eggs or egg beaters scrambled with veggies and topped with lite cheese with chicken sausage, or at dinner have lean protein and 2 veggies without potatoes, rice, or pasta.

what will you do differently with exercise? figure out your plan, write it down. I made myself a full page defining my diet and exercise plan, I lists what I can and can't have and what I have to have. it is a great reminder for me

post some menus, let us help you

Great idea Annie. After work today I'll post a typical menu.

Well maybe now

Warning my food is boring. I love it that way. Indulging opens the door for more for me. I avoid it. We rarely eat out but if we do I'm very careful. Except for sushi maybe three times a year. I plan for that. I learned as I lost all of my weight (130 lbs) to take the entertainment out of food. I Adore my food but respect it. My portions get a bit bigger but I'm reining that in.

I eat CORE Simply Filling always have. No dairy or very little, no soy, little wheat. Allergies. Intolerances.

Breakfast

Six hard boiled egg whites

One piece home made whole wheat toast

Piece of fruit. like: Two cuties, banana, strawberries (2 cups)

No cereal no oatmeal (allergic) no cream of wheat (intolerant) even if I'd love to.

Snack

Piece fruit

Lunch

1 cup of my own recipe. Quinoa pilaf. Quinoa with roasted butternut squash, onions, mushrooms. With a half salmon burger on top. Salmon burger 4 points. Half 2 points if I were counting

OR: some sort of protein 1/2 turkey burger, chicken, turkey, 1/2 salmon burger on a big green salad. My own dressing One T CORE recipe Sometimes a 1/4 cup guacamole (twice a week) on the salad

OR turkey on a sandwich thin, veggies Broccoli, carrots, green beans

Snack Hersheys Diet Hot Chocolate. 1 point

Dinner

Same as lunch. Varied lean or not so lean Beef. Veggies cooked plain, Salad, Baked potato (eaten dry) maybe twice a week potato.

Chicken breast grilled dry. I only eat two things at each meal. Three is too many. Like meat, veggie AND potato. It's veggie or potato. Long established habit.

Snacks

3 oz wine maybe one night a week

2 point yogurt

1 piece of toast dry

Popcorn microwave air popped 4 cups

Fruit

I don't indulge. It opens the door for more ALWAYS. No cookies, no candy, no sweets.

You see my exercise. I have a pacemaker and a knee replacement. The other knee is bone on bone but not that bad yet.

I walk 2.35 miles maybe 3-4 times a week. I can walk the pants off of any of my friends.

YMCA stationary bike 30-45 mins three times a week

YMCA water aerobics so far twice a week

I used to walk in the Y pool every day but that got me nowhere.

I can't do floor anything Can't get down on my knees. Bad shoulders Won't do weights.

I do a walking video once or twice a month.

I exercise at least 5-6 days a week.

This is from totally sedentary at 300 lbs in 2008

I lost all of my weight on a stationary bike until I got the knee once I got to goal.

I'm on my feet all day Saturday at work WW so I skip Saturday mostly.

I don't think your menu is boring, here is a sample of mine, breakfast and lunch and snacks are essentially the same everyday

Breakfast 6am 1/2-3/4 c egg beaters with onions, mushroom, peppers, and a chicken sausage

snack 8 am- lite cheese stick and a bunch of cut up celery no dressing or salt

snack 10 am non fat lite yogurt

lunch 1230- tossed salad, with ff or lf dressing and 2-3 oz of baked skinless chicken breast, with a yogurt

snack 2pm 25 pistachios

dinner 5pm. 3 oz lean protien( chicken, boneless pork chop, turkey burger) a 1 lb bag of frozen or equal fresh veggies(brocolli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, asparagus) with a few shots of the spray margarine.

snack-another yogurt, or cheese stick, or ricotta dessert, sf jello, cottage cheese

I am doing as low carb as I can, my Dr said that low carb, low fat is the right way to lose. I only eat beef and pork once per week, I am also trying to limit my processed foods, can't be helped with yogurt and egg beaters and they are essential to my food plan.

I eat small , lite meals and frequent snacks, so I am never hungry and my metabolism stays revved up.

since I quit the carbs i have no cravings, but i did have detox for a week with headache and fatigue. I can't control when I am eating carbs. I do make 'cloud' bread it is just made with separated eggs and a little spice, I just love it and I can have 'sandwiches' again.

I just got a scale on Jan 12 so that is the first time I was able to weigh myself, I am down almost 12 lbs

since then