Health Discovery Network
Peg541

What One Thing have I done today to advance my cause?

I will get out my food scale and be sure I'm eating 3-4 ounces of meats.

that is a great idea, in my mind I think 3 oz is supposed to be the size of a deck of cards, I would rather measure, when I guess I usually guess higher than it is. I like to weigh, measure and portion my food when i get it so I don't have the excuse of not having time. I use that Glad press and seal wrap, I portion my chicken and pork and wrap and freeze or refrigerate in single portions, they defrost quickly like that too. I buy the little snack bags and dutifully count out 25 pistachios and fill enough bags for the week, then put the big bag where it isn't easy to get to. Oh the tricks I play on myself to stick with it!

OMG. I think I figured it out. We drink soda. Always have. Lately I am drinking a LOT of orange diet soda. So it's no calories. BUT it's almost three times the sodium as Diet Coke!!! I just read the label. Oh my goodness. I'm stopping that immediately. I hate water but will work on it. I can try those flavorings. They help. Or just put fruit in it. That is pretty good too. I BET this is my problem. The orange soda is pretty recent for me.

I have been 100% OP for 6 weeks, I have lost almost 12 lbs, clothes are fitting better, I can take the jeans out of the dryer put them on and they are comfortably loose. People have noticed I lost weight and I can feel it. DANGER ZONE, this is the time when it is so easy to slack off, have something off program, slip a little, only to find myself totally off program without seeing it happen. It happens slowly, I skip writing down my meals because they are the same just about every day, I get careless with measurments and eyeball everything, I take something extra and because I know I am not going to write it down, I don't care.

so today I resisted the urge to not journal, I measured and counted everything. I am re-newing my efforts to keep going on this journey. I know a weight loss journey can take turns we don't expect, sometimes we have to make a U turn to get back on track, sometimes we go sideways instead of forward, I can handle these things but I need to avoid the sidestreets that are dead ends where I park myself and stop the journey. Today I take a positive step to stay the course

You both are so encouraging. I have the "flu like symptoms" so no walk, and not much but soup yesterday.

I am a boring eater. I like the same things, but do weigh and measure everything - at home1 We eat our at least a couple times a week, and I think I probably get in trouble there. Right now, just going back to bed.

Esther

Just do what you know to do!

Annie it's so good that you KNOW that about yourself so you can take action. Keep talking. Keep thinking. Keep it up. You're great. Congrats on the loss. Be careful and don't let it come off too fast. It's addicting.

Esther my meals are very boring but they got me here.

I am keeping myself accountable, this journal is the best I have found, it is spiral bound so it is easy to keep it open to my spot, and it has 26 weeks to record food as well as exercise, what is going on in my thinking and a weekly wrap up where I can assess what went well, what didn't and what can I do better. I am fine with the food, I need to get in more exercise. that is my goal this week

Annie, I buy the ww journal and keep it on my table at all times. Could do a yearly one, might consider that for next year, don't want to start a yearly after January - just me - lol.

Peggy, with your bone on bone knee, don't see how you use it at all! I had both mine done, two months apart, and they were bone on bone and I was in so very much pain could hardly walk.

I am somewhat better today, but still coughing a lot. Won't start back to my walking yet.

Esther

Peggy with your pacemaker, knee replacement and bad knee you are such an inspiration, so many people would use those things as an excuse not to exercise. I can see why the water aerobics and such are part of your routine, you go girl, you are a wonderful example of "I can"

Thanks. Really thanks. Pacemaker just improves my life. My real knee is bad but manageable as long as I respect it. I can't wait to get back in that pool Monday.

Walking to the YMCA and walking later.

I opted to stay home and do hours of housework. I'll walk tonight. I bought a fit bit one. Like my active link but it counts steps and automatically synchs it all to my phone and I pad. I like electronics and numbers. It's not waterproof though but I wonder can I seal it in a Baggie and attach to to my bathing suit? I might try.

My shoulders are bad too. Arthritis and tendinitis. I felt that today just doing housework. I'm sure I'm hurting them with the water aerobics but gosh it feels so good. I'm tempted to meet with the guy that did PT after my knee replacement and get some advice what I can and cannot do. I think they do training there.

I also think I'm tilting at windmills. Am I giving myself a longer life? More ? or less flexibility? Health now and later? There are no guarantees. Things happen to people right? What is that saying? Man plans and God laughs. Right?

Maybe I should not take things so blithely. Be grateful for every day. Fight for my flexibility and my health while I have them.

Sorry this is just me being introspective.

BTW I cut out 99% soda and am chugging water. I hate the stuff. I'm peeing all day but I'm home today. On work days it'll be different.

Peggy, I have the same thoughts. Is the pain of walking worth while in the long run. I keep reminding myself the bone density test are so much better each year after I have been faithful with my walks. The pt person should be able to help you a lot with what not to do and what will help. Feel for you!

Head and chest are much more congested today, but no fever. I am so ready to be over this!

Esther

Peggy of course there are no guarantees, longer life? don't know, I am only looking at quality of life. the more you move the more you can move, would I take 20 years in a wheelchair or 10 years walking around? I would take the 10 years walking around, it is all about quality of life and independence. keep moving, the more you move the more you gain/maintain, stop moving and you will lose ground that you may never recover.

What I tell my members is this is like buying a jar of skin cream. Once the jar is done your skin is not done using cream right? You need more. You keep going. Same as weight loss. You lose the weight, or some of it, and you keep going. Maybe in another form like maintenance and Lifetime but it's still a process that you need to keep working. This image helps me get through times when I wonder is this all there is? Well yes this is what I need to do to maintain my weight loss and it's worth every second.

I am off to work now but will walk to the YMCA after work and also go for the water aerobics tonight.

Peggy, what a great thought. Will keep that in my mind.

Annie, you are so right, quality of life, rather than length. I opt for that also!

Esther

I'm working on more water. Drank a lot yesterday. I also researched and found I love vitamin water lemonade flavor. No calories. No sodium. Under a dollar. I figure one a day plus regular water.l

walked 1.25 miles. YMCA water aerobics soon.

Scale did not move this week. I'm doomed. I'm going to keep at it. Cut back on the fruit. Keep at it. It'll happen. Funny but I'm not as freaked out as usual. I'm getting better at scale. LOL!

walked 2.3 just now. The weight will come off.

I'm sick today. Headache. Fever. Took her day off. This is a day I would eat poorly but really there is nothing here to indulge in. I will keep to my plan. There is plenty of good food for me.

I worked on my water today. And stuck to si/fi, using no points. Yea for me.

Peggy, today is the first day I am feeling somewhat better. Sorry you are not well now.

Esther

Feel fine. On my way to the YMCA for the bike then work early. Food has been fine. Not looking at the scale till maybe Wednesday. It's best this way.

Peggy, I know how frustrating when the scale won't budge so I will ask the usual questions:

Are you getting enough: protein, calcium, sleep, water, healthy fat ?

Are you weighing, measuring everything?

Are you eating lots of carbs( carbohydrate) the hydrate stands for water and it is held when you eat lots of carbs